ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 PM   #91
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Karl
I should find out next week what the insurance company want to do with the bike. I have to get to my parents summer house and pull some of my receipts. I have been using there basement for storage. I hope in the next week or two to figure whether or not it will be fixed or totaled.
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #92
gsrider5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
30 mile commute

I come from Nassau county LI every day to the West side I have been doing it for 5 years. It became an everyday affair since 911, I felt safer on my bike than on the LIRR and the subway system. Had a blue R1150GS but now on an Aluminum Adventure. Two years ago I nailed a pedestrian Jay walking took her out doing about 20 MPH lots of front end damage to the bike. My insurance company took care of the settlement but arbitration ruled 70,30 in her favor, go figure. You realy have to watch your ass drive defensively,don't be in a hurry and don't do anything stupid. Just assume no one sees you.
gsrider5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #93
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrider5
I come from Nassau county LI every day to the West side I have been doing it for 5 years. It became an everyday affair since 911, I felt safer on my bike than on the LIRR and the subway system. Had a blue R1150GS but now on an Aluminum Adventure. Two years ago I nailed a pedestrian Jay walking took her out doing about 20 MPH lots of front end damage to the bike. My insurance company took care of the settlement but arbitration ruled 70,30 in her favor, go figure. You realy have to watch your ass drive defensively,don't be in a hurry and don't do anything stupid. Just assume no one sees you.
You have to make the same cross town trek I do. Are you coming off the 59th Street bridge? I have been trying to find a better way from that bridge cross town down to 26th street and 11th. Lately Iíve tried going up 1st to 66th and across the park and down West end av(11th) I hate going down 2nd and crossing mid town in the 50ís is tricky with all the trucks and jay walkers. That sucks that you had a ped take you out like that. I slow way down in the worst jay walking areas but still have had a few close calls. Itís amazing how people just put their brain in neutral when they are walking.

Did you get a ticket for anything? I have hit a ped while riding my bicycle but we just both picked ourselves up, exchanged a few words and were off. He accused me of riding too fast, I was going uphill at maybe 10-12 mph when he ran out in front of me against the light.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #94
abenormal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
don't be in a hurry and don't do anything stupid.
That's the hard part for me. Not that I'm actually in a hurry, but there are times where I'm gunning it to get out of a blind spot or get clear of a death zone, then I'm in another one so I speed up again, then I'm doing 45 mph along with all the crazy taxicabs. Trying to find that sweet spot on the FDR usually has me running 65-75 mph indicated. In a city where all the surface streets are 30 mph and the FDR is posted 40, that's definitely speeding. OTOH, the FDR is full of high speed insanity. No one's doing 40, even the oldies are doing 45-50. I'm NEVER running out there alone at 75, and I'm often being passed by SUVs and livery cabs that must be doing 90-100. It's the average differential that annoys me... if I'm going the speed limit then I've got vehicles bearing down behind me at 15-50 mph. If I'm splitting the difference at 65 and someone nails me it'll be my fault for speeding. Of course, riding whatever feels comfortable is my best bet against getting hit in the first place, so I guess I'll just keep keeping on.
abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #95
gsrider5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterBroil
You have to make the same cross town trek I do. Are you coming off the 59th Street bridge? I have been trying to find a better way from that bridge cross town down to 26th street and 11th. Lately Iíve tried going up 1st to 66th and across the park and down West end av(11th) I hate going down 2nd and crossing mid town in the 50ís is tricky with all the trucks and jay walkers. That sucks that you had a ped take you out like that. I slow way down in the worst jay walking areas but still have had a few close calls. Itís amazing how people just put their brain in neutral when they are walking.

Did you get a ticket for anything? I have hit a ped while riding my bicycle but we just both picked ourselves up, exchanged a few words and were off. He accused me of riding too fast, I was going uphill at maybe 10-12 mph when he ran out in front of me against the light.

Yea I go cross town on 66th it is probable the best way for me I am on 57th and 11th BMW of Manhattan.

I did not get a ticket you think that would have been an argument for the insurance companies attorney that was representing me but he was laim. My insurance went up a little and now it went back to were it was for good behavior.
gsrider5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #96
Green Lantern
Bikeshopping

Oddometer: 282
I have to go to traffic court this morning because I was ticketed for not wearing my face shield "corectly" back in September.
I had just come off the BQE onto Mcginnis blvd (in Brooklyn) and stopped at a red light. Well, to avoid fogging I lifted the shield (on my full face helmet) and the light turned green. I go. A couple blocks later I'm pulled over for not wearing the thing "corectly". Now I always wear it over my eyes but slightly open for air flow. Plus I wear contacts and I took the MSF Basic Rider Course -- both of which I told the cop when he pulled me over. (I wasn't wearing the helmet like the sport riders do. Halfway, cocked back off the head. I was wearing it correctly.) But he didn't care. This just doesn't make since. And worse I was a block from my house.
He was certainly out to make his quota tickets for the month. Fffng prick.
Im taking the helmet to court with me. You can't even tell if it's up or down from behind.
We'll see what happens.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:52 AM   #97
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Now that truly sucks! That cop is an asshole in my mind! I see TONS of guys with there helmets on top of there heads in the city. They should be bothering them but not someone who has a shield up! Goodluck in court! I hope you win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern
I have to go to traffic court this morning because I was ticketed for not wearing my face shield "corectly" back in September.
I had just come off the BQE onto Mcginnis blvd (in Brooklyn) and stopped at a red light. Well, to avoid fogging I lifted the shield (on my full face helmet) and the light turned green. I go. A couple blocks later I'm pulled over for not wearing the thing "corectly". Now I always wear it over my eyes but slightly open for air flow. Plus I wear contacts and I took the MSF Basic Rider Course -- both of which I told the cop when he pulled me over. (I wasn't wearing the helmet like the sport riders do. Halfway, cocked back off the head. I was wearing it correctly.) But he didn't care. This just doesn't make since. And worse I was a block from my house.
He was certainly out to make his quota tickets for the month. Fffng prick.
Im taking the helmet to court with me. You can't even tell if it's up or down from behind.
We'll see what happens.
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #98
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
not sure, if it sucks. to me it's radiculous. let us know, how was it in the court.

oh god, i apreciate you didn't make me an idiot. well, i guess so...
priller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:42 AM   #99
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,588
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself into this thread. I've been a lurker on ADVRider for a couple years now. I'm new to New York, been living in Brooklyn since November. Got a condo in Windsor Terrace, nice area.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I don't commute on the bike, my employer has given me a car which I use for all my work-related getting around.

Riding in the city is definitely an adventure but luckily I haven't had any pants-soiling close calls there yet. Yet.

Luckily at home I have secure off-street parking so I don't have to worry about parking too much. It's definitely a nice benefit which is lacking in most of the city.

I picked up my blue 12 GS from BMW of Manhattan last month after realizing that it was way too expensive to own my personal car in this area. A bike makes a lot more sense for getting around in traffic as well as for financial reasons. I'm loving the bike as well as living in the city but I think I'm soon going to have to start exploring outside the city for some good riding roads because in the city it seems all you get is straight and level riding with some slow 90-degree turns. Any suggestions, please let me know. I'm thinking upstate or Long Island, hell maybe even Jersey.

Hope to see you guys on the road sometime. If you see a blue 12 GS with a rider wearing a hi-viz yellow Aerostich Darien jacket, give a wave. That'd be me.

BTW, saw one of my neighbors in the next building over un-winterizing a sweet old Moto Guzzi the other day. Didn't get a chance to say hi then but I'll definitely have to meet that guy. :)

The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:53 AM   #100
priller
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbartnik
Any suggestions, please let me know. I'm thinking upstate or Long Island, hell maybe even Jersey.

Hope to see you guys on the road sometime. If you see a blue 12 GS with a rider wearing a hi-viz yellow Aerostich Darien jacket, give a wave. That'd be me.
welcome to asylum. there is no better place to find both good company and good rides. follow threads in east chapter and you'll see rides being announced weekly.
i've been riding to remote long island few times. never found exciting roads for riding. nj is a way to go - plenty of rural areas with twisted paved and dirt roads within an hour or so from the city. and seven lakes up north is a good destination.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #101
priller
-

another member spotted

this one parked in fifth ave at 27th. graphite r12gs w/ wunderlich (?) seat and adv sticker on the top box. whose bike is this?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #102
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrai
this one parked in fifth ave at 27th. graphite r12gs w/ wunderlich (?) seat and adv sticker on the top box. whose bike is this?

That was me, today, parked there twice

(sargent seat..)
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #103
priller
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
That was me, today, parked there twice

(sargent seat..)
no worries, first two times always hurts. it's getting better later. (if i were nachtflug, i would have demand you to ask for permission to park in my area)
Old 03-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #104
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrai
no worries, first two times always hurts. it's getting better later. (if i were nachtflug, i would have demand you to ask for permission to park in my area)
do you recall a yellow GS1150 being there all the time, that was me too.
my office is on 5th btwn 27/28

(be glad you're not nachtflug)......
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:08 PM   #105
priller
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
do you recall a yellow GS1150 being there all the time, that was me too.
my office is on 5th btwn 27/28

(be glad you're not nachtflug)......
my office is in 27th between b'way and 6th. (i enjoy it every day.)

just like i spotted you, i was spotted by hank from aprilia forum, today. he talks about grabbing a coffee or lunch one day and talking bikes. feel like joining us? suffering from sucking english i am pretty slow for conversations but i would gladly listen.
not sure but hank probably ownes another caponord.

i was going to charge you some $5 for parking in my spot to call it even. but since you parked there earlier, feel free to continue.

i am parking (with some pause) in the corner of 26th and madison. years ago it was dakar, now italian.