ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #1066
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbartnik
From this morning's New York Times:

A motorcyclist was thrown to the pavement and killed yesterday after she struck a man who had run into traffic on the West Side Highway at 56th Street in Manhattan, the police said. The woman, whose name was not released but who was said to be in her 30s, was traveling north on the highway shortly after 9:30 a.m. when the crash took place, the authorities said, even though she applied her brakes and swerved to try to avoid a collision. The man suffered a broken leg, the police said. The police did not release the pedestrian’s name.
I stumbled onto a thread about this accident on another forum. The guy who was hit is both a bicyclist and a kayaker, as I am.

There's a discussion going on there about the accident if you care to read some predicatable points of view about high performance motorcycles and how pedestrians and bicycles operate in the city. There are a some sane voices out there but not as many as I'd like to see in the general public..... It's amazing how many assumptions people can make and how many un-informed opinions there are.

Here's a quote:

"I'll bet the ducati was speeding, and i don't gamble.
the speed limit there is 40 mph. it is very hard to keep that kind of motorcycle at 40 mph."

Here's the link:

http://www.nycc.org/mb/thread.aspx?b...&c=(2#msg41684
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #1067
dakarboy
ugly and stupid

Oddometer: 1,408
sos

if she was doing 40 then she was going 5 mph above the posted speed and 10 mph below the flow of traffic. i find the west side highway to be the biggest challenge to move smoothly through. but i prefer to ride through it grid locked then moving at 40 packed. if sucks for her though regardless. my thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #1068
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
I stumbled onto a thread about this accident on another forum. The guy who was hit is both a bicyclist and a kayaker, as I am.

There's a discussion going on there about the accident if you care to read some predicatable points of view about high performance motorcycles and how pedestrians and bicycles operate in the city. There are a some sane voices out there but not as many as I'd like to see in the general public..... It's amazing how many assumptions people can make and how many un-informed opinions there are.

Here's a quote:

"I'll bet the ducati was speeding, and i don't gamble.
the speed limit there is 40 mph. it is very hard to keep that kind of motorcycle at 40 mph."

Here's the link:

http://www.nycc.org/mb/thread.aspx?b...&c=(2#msg41684

If he did indeed cross at 56th street, There is NO crosswalk there. Trying to cross there is like playing Frogger with your life, or in this case with someone else's life. It sounds like the guy who got hit is well liked and an all-round cool guy, But he screwed up. He will heal, the MC rider will not.

Also note that the southbound traffic does not stop at 56th. This cannot be a legal place to cross.
Attached Images

LusterBroil screwed with this post 05-21-2007 at 03:43 PM
LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #1069
dakarboy
ugly and stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterBroil
If he did indeed cross at 56th street, There is NO crosswalk there. Trying to cross there is like playing Frogger with your life, or in this case with someone else's life. It sounds like the guy who got hit is well liked and an all-round cool guy, But he screwed up. He will heal, the MC rider will not.

Also note that the southbound traffic does not stop at 56th. This cannot be a legal place to cross.
of course non of this will be mentioned in the news, just another speed crazed biker getting their just deserved........
Old 05-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #1070
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarboy
of course non of this will be mentioned in the news, just another speed crazed biker getting their just deserved........
Yup, Motorcycle's alway guilty. That's like trying to cross the BQE or the LIE over there, no crosswalk (should) mean NO pedestrians on the West Side HIGHWAY...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #1071
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
i responded:

i DIDN'T see any mention of the motorcyclist speeding.

i DID see a mention of the pedestrian running into the street. [simply walking across that roadway without a crosswalk/pedestrian aids at that time with that traffic would be foolish. you would have to run in order to not get hit.]

is it likely the author of the article at once ignored a speeding motorcycle and invented a running pedestrian?

is it possible that the article doesn't give enough information for us to accurately determine what transpired?

I was there shortly after it happened, 12th ave was not deserted but rather busy but not congested [except for the scene.]

abe

bostonsr screwed with this post 05-21-2007 at 09:29 PM
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #1072
mattpower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Yikes!

hey all,

this was fwd'ed me by an acquaintance who runs a bike website, he received it from an anonymous source inside NYPD. Looks like the aggressive motorcycle enforcement for this summer is a definitive policy of NYPD. I can't vouch for its authenticity, but it seems legit, particularly given all the anecdotal evidence of stepped-up enforcement. Spread the word to other ADVriders in the region, and everyone get their paperwork in order. It doesn't sound like they're screwing around.

I'm gonna miss lane splitting. I was getting so good at it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NYPD Anti-Motorcycle Campaign Update<<<<<<<<<<<<
Highway Division is having a heavily expanded program targeting motorcyclists. The program is very aggressive. The program IS NOT condoning ANY contact between a NYPD Unit, marked or otherwise, and a motorcycle, nor is it condoned. If such contact has happened it is an accident. The major goal of this program is to see how many bikes can be impounded but it was stressed that only illegal machines or machines used to willfully and flagrantly violate the law were subject.

The primary modus of the program is unlicensed operators, unregistered/uninsured machines and reckless operation. Motorcycles under scrutiny are generally those that might otherwise fall into the “Jap-Bike”, “Crotch Rocket” or “Chopper” themes.

Generaly those bikes that we could call “Dresser”, “Touring” or “Cruiser” will not be scrutinized, as much. Roadblocks during popular riding times, in popular riding occasions are to be expected on a weekly basis and daily in some areas of special interest, no comment on where those might be other than Buro’ interchanges and higher speed highways.

The various Highway Division patrol units are having a fraternal and highly unofficial competition to see who can hook the most bikes, one officer has about 30 thus far. They are taking this seriously. And the most important part of the discussion, lane splitting or using the shoulder is as of now an arrestable offence. They are not going to be issuing warning or citations or field apperence tickets, no they are going to be arrsting even if it means arresting 15 guys and impounding all of their bikes.
NYPD is cracking down. Don’t ride like a fool. Do keep your legals up to date. Don’t split lanes. Arrest sucks. Impound officers don’t care how much you paid. and NYPD is not condoning, encouraging or allowing willful unit/bike contact.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>End of Transmission<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
mattpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:32 PM   #1073
dakarboy
ugly and stupid

can some one please explain the "and NYPD is not condoning, encouraging or allowing willful unit/bike contact." part?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #1074
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 459
Unit/cycle contact

It means they can not play bumper car with you to get your attention or to stop you. If you look back at sjbartnic's comment he explains it very well.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #1075
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

I copied it for you

sjbartnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Posts: 117 I would have a very hard time believing that NYPD has a policy in place allowing an officer to use his vehicle to ram a motorcycle to knock it down. The reason is that in most departments, the use of a vehicle as a weapon is legally the same as the officer using his handgun, i.e. deadly force. The department would be opening itself up to some severe liability for using deadly force in a situation that did not meet departmental deadly force policy requirements.

The source on this claim is pretty vague, just a blurb that "there have been reports" of this type of contact, which usually means "I heard about one incident once from a friend of a friend of a guy it totally happened to." The makings of an urban legend.
Blame John™
Old 05-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #1076
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

On a lighter note

Did anyone attend the BMW RA meet on Hester Steet. Could not attend but I would like to know what is on their agenda.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:56 AM   #1077
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by old brooklyn boy
Did anyone attend the BMW RA meet on Hester Steet. Could not attend but I would like to know what is on their agenda.
Donald Duck did - see his post in Ear Inn thread. I thought you were going to that?
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #1078
Ale70
Ale70

Oddometer: 238
Hey Guys....did I read it right?!?!?

Arrest and impound for lane splitting???

Can they actually do that?

One more question, does the AMA have any other use besides racing involvment? Do they protect our rights in any way?

The point is that commuting without splitting lanes (and I mean very very very slowly, like around 20mph...) would be like being caged without AC, thus making it totaly stupid, I believe....

Appreciate any opinion!

Take care!
Ale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #1079
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 669
I can confirm the crackdown, and not just the sportbikes.

Three weeks ago commuting north on Henry Hudson at ~6 p.m., traffic was its usual parking lot. I was toodling along on my DRZ between the lanes with the cage drivers politely letting me through (I see the same commuters every evening). In the upper 90's, I notice a grey unmarked ahead, so I slipped into center lane and then over to the next split lane (I don't like to disrespect them by going right by). Past the sewage treatment plant, on an entrance ramp grid, I see a hwy cruizer parked. I get back into center lane and notice he moves into traffic. He moves into center lane, I move into left lane, everyone creeping along. He super-slows to allow all cars to pass, then pulls his patrol car diagonally across left lane to halt all of us. He walks over to me asks for my license and says to meet him at GWB/HH split grid. Then leaves me there in the left lane with traffic flowing. What a d*ck.
He says I passed 20 vehicles, and I say 15 of them were on cell phones.
We have a little conversation about lane splitting, and when I explain how unsafe it is to ride between the bumpers of stop and go traffic, he says that it's the motorcyclists that cause fender benders. Forgetaboutit.

Now it is more dangerous because I've got to jump in and out of lanes to make any progress, and I don't think the cagers appreciate the in-and-outs.

Following week I see another bike pulled over at GWB/HH split grid. It's a guy w/ white helmet on a red TDM . . . real bad boy. . . .

I thought it was just officer Murphy being a d*ck, but I've noticed other hwy cruizers, both southbound and northbound during rush hour.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #1080
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Crack down

Yes,they can make an arrest by changing the charges from traffic infractions to:

An A Misdemeanor, RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT 2ND
And/or an Unclassified Misdemeanor, RECKLESS DRIVING

They can then impound the bike pursuant to a lawful arrest. They can also decide that it is the instrumentality of a crime and hold it as evidence much like a weapon or stolen property.

Hey Perry I thought I was going to the BMW RA too. Alison had a late meeting she had to go to and I had an instructor miss a 7-9 class and I had to fill in. The upside is that I got to spend a few extra hours in the Dojo with my kids.
Alfred