ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #1111
dakarboy
ugly and stupid
 
dakarboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: kinda orangish
Oddometer: 1,408
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232753

starting to show some life here, if anyone is interested.
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #1112
Ale70
Ale70
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 238
By the way, Tuesday on the LIE I asked a NYPD Harley Cop about lanesplitting, and he said it's $100 and 3 points....

So, if I gotta stop splitting, I'd have to stop riding, because I'd take me 2+ hours to get home.


Can anybody confirm this?

Also, I have a 2006 PBA card, never used it.

Do they really work? How often?

Thanks for your help!

Ale
Ale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #1113
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty
 
Janet from Joisey's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: "Yeah...Jersey sux"
Oddometer: 669
I don't know about the points, but the fine sounds right.
Yesterday evening, northbound on HH, another Hwy Patrol car had a bike pulled over at same grid where GWB splits off from HH. That's more Hwy Patrols on that stretch than I've seen in all of five years.
I don't know if the PBA card will work w/ them, but I used an NYPD's business card the other day, and lots of pleading (with success) with a regular NYPD dude who got me making an illegal left turn onto Riverside Dr. after I got super paranoid about an unmarked on the HH. I was so distracted that I didn't see the three no-left turn signs. I gotta thank that leo and the cute cop that was hitting on me with his business card a few months ago.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #1114
Recht
Binge Thinker
 
Recht's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale70
By the way, Tuesday on the LIE I asked a NYPD Harley Cop about lanesplitting, and he said it's $100 and 3 points....

So, if I gotta stop splitting, I'd have to stop riding, because I'd take me 2+ hours to get home.


Can anybody confirm this?

Also, I have a 2006 PBA card, never used it.

Do they really work? How often?

Thanks for your help!

Ale
Last year I was splitting on the LIE near Queens Bl. rush hour slow moving 5 mph traffic. I came up on a Highway Patrol car in the left lane and pulled in behind him, I am sure he saw me splitting on the way up towards him. I stay behind him for about 30 seconds and he pulls over towards the left shoulder which I took to be him "giving me room" and sort of an OK to go on splitting. I slip through and get a few more cars ahead and I hear a siren and look back and see lights. I think he can't be after me he must have gotten a call. Wrong, I pull over on the right shoulder, he storms out of the car and bellows "license and registration and insurance". I apologized ten different ways and tried to explain to him that I thought he was giving me the OK to go past him. He was really mad, I kept apologizing, and then I told him I would never give an officer a hard time, my father is a retired NYPD Lieutennant, here is his card. Well now he got even madder, he starts cursing saying "you have to be fucking kidding me!" over and over, "you think you pull that shit on MY roads and get away with it?" He goes to his patrol car and keeps me there for about five minutes, then storms back hands me my papers and says "I'm keeping the card tell your father if he wants it back he'll have to call me, name is SxxxXI ,Highway three, he'll know how to get a hold of me. I think I am lucky for not getting a ticket, but I am pissed at this guy for baiting me, and then acting like a jerk about it. I call my dad and give him the whole story, he says he will take care of it. Dad calls me back next day says he talked to the desk Sgt. and at first he didn't know who the cop was, nobody here by that name. So my dad tells him to find out who pulled over the BMW bike on the LIE around 4PM and call me back. The Sgt. called him back and said he found his officer who did this and the officer said the driver was preforming an illegal manouver driving through stopped traffic at a high rate of speed, and then was extremly disrespectful to the officer when stopped. My father told him he doubted that very much, let's just cut the BS and mail the card back to my son. Card arrived in my mailbox three days later.
Moral of the story, split with care and not past a highway car. Your PBA card may or may not help you.
__________________
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be. Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night
US novelist (1922 -2007)
Recht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #1115
dakarboy
ugly and stupid
 
dakarboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: kinda orangish
Oddometer: 1,408
PBA cards will smooth things over depending on the case and the officer. being respectful and courteous helps.

when i get pulled over i immediately pull my helmet off. i think that lets the officer know that i am not running. then i get off the bike and stand beside it.

i hate bowing to anyone, but these guys can make your life hell. in my misspent youth, i rode around half the time with no license or it hanging by a point.

to old to play bad attitude to cops anymore.
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #1116
Ale70
Ale70
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 238
Thanks for your reply....the points would really suck...we'll see what happens. But splitting lanes on the LIE is a necessity....

Good luck!

Ale
Ale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #1117
bostonsr
Just weight
 
bostonsr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NYCff
Oddometer: 8,402
rude/belligerent cops are just bad cops.

it's a tactic to establish control of a [criminal] situation, an old one at that. nowadays it's more of verbal judo/polite/calm which is a smarter way to conduct traffic stops. once in a while you get the guy who missed that part of training and runs around like a rabid pit bull and screams at old ladies or others who pose no threat.

a "good" traffic stop is the one that makes you feel like you got something even tho you've just been hosed for $100/3pts. it's not the one where you were in fear of your life for driving 10 over.

thankfully, my DL is from a state that doesn't accept out of state points/violations

abe
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #1118
bostonsr
Just weight
 
bostonsr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NYCff
Oddometer: 8,402
"my name is officer so-n-so with NY state police, the reason i stopped you is that i observed you passing other traffic in between the lanes which is illegal in this state. May i see your license, proof of insurance, and registration?"

establishes the who he is, why he stopped you, and what he wants you to do.

as the driver being pulled over...it doesn't afford you a lot of time to muster up any opposition to his authority/reasoning because he has already informed you of all the pertinent details. by this time he should have already placed a hand on your car or vehicle in order to establish that HE had contact with your vehicle in case something goes wrong.

unless you've been running...there's no reason for belligerent behavior.

abe
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #1119
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: West Midwood, Brooklyn NY
Oddometer: 459
Use of PBA Card

Cops are like any other group. They are divided into various levels of respect. Their groups are given respect based upon several factors, seniority, level of Authority or Rank, and/or the importance of their task. If you are a Cop the least number of the general population that would commit the crime or the more socially repugnant, the more important your job is. For example everyone jay walks or litters and the threat to society is small so the crime is not considered important and the person who enforces it is also very low on the pecking order. That is reserved for the new cop with no time in and he is given no respect because he is the NFG.
The Homicide detective is given a great deal of respect because his crime is important, he has time in and usually the respect of his peers, and is good at his job.
The Brass are in a different group. They are not on the streets so the working stiffs consider them to now be management not labor. They are Rear echelon and useless.
People who get assigned to Highway are usually but not always misfits. They hate bosses, could not get along with other cops. They fit the profile for Internal Affairs but are too stupid for the job. They have seniority but are still stuck in a patrol car. They feel that their shitty lack of advancement is the fault of someone else and that someone else is a boss or YOU. They lie under oath to win and feel justified because the hearing officer at DMV always finds in their favor so they must be doing a good job.
I know the number of people who split lanes is very small but that is because the number of people who ride is small. The ones who are honest say they wish they did but they are afraid to but if they did they would split lanes.
The guy in Highway is there for a reason and that reason is that he does not like anyone and no one likes him. I don’t know which caused which but I have prosecuted and defended cases and dealt with Cops for 30 years. Don’t show a PBA card to a Highway guy, there not cops they are meter maids with guns and an attitude a PBA card will piss them off. Save it for a real cop.
If you want to see good cops try riding with the Blue Knights.
How is that for a rant?
__________________
Talk less ride more.
old brooklyn boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #1120
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer
 
TengaiJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Tappan, NY
Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by old brooklyn boy
Cops are like any other group.

If you want to see good cops try riding with the Blue Knights.
How is that for a rant?
Ain't that the truth!!!

I just finished serving one month on a Grand Jury and I agree with you 101%...
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #1121
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty
 
Janet from Joisey's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: "Yeah...Jersey sux"
Oddometer: 669
I totally got the impression from Hwy Patrol Murphy that he was mad at something, but not exactly me. I told myself that he hated bikes because he probably didn't pass the police-bike test.

On another local note, this was on 1010 news:
Posted: ate Month="5" Day="24" Year="2007">Thursday, 24 May 2007ate>1:16PM

Off-Duty NYPD Officer Critical After Motorcycle Crash

WEST NYACK, N.Y. (AP) -- An off-duty New York City police officer is in critical condition after being injured in a motorcycle accident Thursday morning.

Police say Officer Brian Rickli, 27, who lives in West Nyack, was riding his motorcycle east on Route 59 near Crosfield Avenue shortly after midnight when he was hit from behind by a New Jersey man, who was charged with drunken driving.

Rickli, who was wearing a helmet, suffered multiple leg fractures, broken vertebrae and head trauma. He was taken to
WestchesterMedicalCenter in Valhalla.

Police say Charlie Lin, 29, of
Rivervale, N.J., was charged with driving while intoxicated and with having a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 percent or more -- both misdemeanors.

Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #1122
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LusterBroil's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from Joisey
I totally got the impression from Hwy Patrol Murphy that he was mad at something, but not exactly me. I told myself that he hated bikes because he probably didn't pass the police-bike test.

On another local note, this was on 1010 news:
Posted: ate Month="5" Day="24" Year="2007">Thursday, 24 May 2007ate>1:16PM

Off-Duty NYPD Officer Critical After Motorcycle Crash

WEST NYACK, N.Y. (AP) -- An off-duty New York City police officer is in critical condition after being injured in a motorcycle accident Thursday morning.

Police say Officer Brian Rickli, 27, who lives in West Nyack, was riding his motorcycle east on Route 59 near Crosfield Avenue shortly after midnight when he was hit from behind by a New Jersey man, who was charged with drunken driving.

Rickli, who was wearing a helmet, suffered multiple leg fractures, broken vertebrae and head trauma. He was taken to
WestchesterMedicalCenter in Valhalla.

Police say Charlie Lin, 29, of
Rivervale, N.J., was charged with driving while intoxicated and with having a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 percent or more -- both misdemeanors.



Just saw something on the news about this, looks like he got rear ended, bike looks to be a cruiser of some sort. Let's hope he recovers ok.
LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #1123
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 6,140
[quote=LusterBroil]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr


Pretty good fiction huh? I can't imagine the NYPD getting a special AMG developed V8 for a patrol car. Come on they probably get the stock 6. And even if they ordered the police charger equipped with a V8, doesn't Dodge offer one with 400+Hp already?
Here are the NYC Police patrol cars and specs.

In early 2006, DaimlerChrysler released a new police version of the Dodge Charger. It made its debut at the 2005 New York International Auto Show.
Unlike the civilian version, the police version features upgraded heavy-duty brakes, a severe-duty cooling system, police-performance Electronic Stability Program, police performance-tuned steering, and a gear shifter that is mounted on the steering column instead of in the center console.[2] In place of the center console, Dodge has equipped the police edition with a steel plate appropriate for mounting radio equipment, computers, and controllers for lights and sirens.
The 340 hp Hemi V8 is powerful enough to accelerate the car from 0 to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and to a top speed of 150 mph. By comparison, the 1972 AMC Matador, with its 401 in³ V8, could accelerate from rest to 60 mph in seven seconds, and took 43 seconds to reach a top speed of 125 mph.[3] A Washington State Patrol officer told a reporter "It may replace the Ford Crown Victoria, I just don't know"[4]. In Michigan State Police and California Highway Patrol testing, the Charger V8 easily outperformed all other pursuit vehicles in acceleration, cornering, and braking (except the Dodge Magnum, which stopped slightly faster in some tests). It does however appear to be priced somewhat higher than the Ford Police Interceptor. [5]
__________________
"Remember that an enduro tests the endurance of three things: your machine, your body, and your wits. Only one has to fail to keep you from reaching the finish line." Cycle World March 1966
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #1124
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LusterBroil's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 466
[QUOTE=RichBeBe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterBroil
Here are the NYC Police patrol cars and specs.

In early 2006, DaimlerChrysler released a new police version of the Dodge Charger. It made its debut at the 2005 New York International Auto Show.
Unlike the civilian version, the police version features upgraded heavy-duty brakes, a severe-duty cooling system, police-performance Electronic Stability Program, police performance-tuned steering, and a gear shifter that is mounted on the steering column instead of in the center console.[2] In place of the center console, Dodge has equipped the police edition with a steel plate appropriate for mounting radio equipment, computers, and controllers for lights and sirens.
The 340 hp Hemi V8 is powerful enough to accelerate the car from 0 to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and to a top speed of 150 mph. By comparison, the 1972 AMC Matador, with its 401 in³ V8, could accelerate from rest to 60 mph in seven seconds, and took 43 seconds to reach a top speed of 125 mph.[3] A Washington State Patrol officer told a reporter "It may replace the Ford Crown Victoria, I just don't know"[4]. In Michigan State Police and California Highway Patrol testing, the Charger V8 easily outperformed all other pursuit vehicles in acceleration, cornering, and braking (except the Dodge Magnum, which stopped slightly faster in some tests). It does however appear to be priced somewhat higher than the Ford Police Interceptor. [5]
What, no 32 valve twin turbo 750hp AMG skunk works motor?
LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #1125
bostonsr
Just weight
 
bostonsr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NYCff
Oddometer: 8,402
Hey Alfred...check PM

abe
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014