ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #11671
Jiro
Watch Out for Squirrel!

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
All ways are shitty at that time. I wonder if taking Battery to Belt to JFK would be the best?
I am not free until almost 7 tomorrow otherwise I could meet you closer to the city and bring it to JFK.
agreed. Belt is usually good a lot of time... better than routes listed above.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #11672
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
What's the best route from lower Manhattan to JFK at around 3:30-4 pm tomorrow? I've always taken midtown tunnel, LIE, Woodhaven blvd.... but there has to be an easier way.
Are the lights on Woodhaven Boulevard in rush hour synch?

The lights on Queens Boulevard will be in sequence eastbound after 230pm and the traffic won't be too heavy yet. I would hop off the LIE at QB, jump on the Van Wyck at Briarwood and grit my teeth for the remaining one to two miles of slow or stop and go traffic on the Van Wyck.

As for dealing with delays on the eastbound LIE approaching QB, I like to head toward Maurice Avenue instead of going up and over the Calvary overpass. You then have the option of staying to the left and getting right back on the LIE or taking the service road for a mile.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #11673
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
In my experience going to JFK from Manhattan, the most important thing is to leave early. 3:30pm should be good. I've done the QB route with some success but the Van Wyck is always a clusterbomb around 4pm onwards.

If you are coming from lower Manhattan, I recommend taking Atlantic Avenue out to Conduit Blvd straight to JFK.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #11674
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
the Van Wyck is always a clusterbomb around 4pm onwards.
Van Wyck is a clusterf**k in general.

FYI, my logic was that getting on the Van Wyck at Hillside Ave bypasses most of the lead-up to the worst congestion on the Longest Two Miles in NYC. You skip the LIE/GCP interchange and the GCP/VWE split altogether, plus the LIE service road to QB gives you an escape from traffic leading up to the LIE/GCP interchange. QB gets choked up at the courthouses but that's just a 2-3 minute delay.

Quote:
If you are coming from lower Manhattan, I recommend taking Atlantic Avenue out to Conduit Blvd straight to JFK.
Atlantic would be the most direct especially if you're coming from the Brooklyn Bridge vicinity. It cuts over two miles from the overall travel distance. Slick.

I didn't consider it because of the time that will be spent waiting at traffic lights on Flatbush or whatever and on Atlantic. Time spent moving slowly is still better than time spent not moving at all.

Have you done that often? What is your experience with travel time, light sequencing, etc.?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #11675
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Van Wyck is a clusterf**k in general.

FYI, my logic was that getting on the Van Wyck at Hillside Ave bypasses most of the lead-up to the worst congestion on the Longest Two Miles in NYC. You skip the LIE/GCP interchange and the GCP/VWE split altogether, plus the LIE service road to QB gives you an escape from traffic leading up to the LIE/GCP interchange. QB gets choked up at the courthouses but that's just a 2-3 minute delay.

Atlantic would be the most direct especially if you're coming from the Brooklyn Bridge vicinity. It cuts over two miles from the overall travel distance. Slick.

I didn't consider it because of the time that will be spent waiting at traffic lights on Flatbush or whatever and on Atlantic. Time spent moving slowly is still better than time spent not moving at all.

Have you done that often? What is your experience with travel time, light sequencing, etc.?
Used to go to a climbing gym off of Atlantic pretty often straight from work (opposite direction) I could go a bunch of ways but in traffic Atlantic was always the best.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #11676
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

IMHO Atlantic Ave is slightly better than LIE at evening rush.

I forgot to add one big bit of advice. Do not take thee Atlantic Ave ramp that leads over the intersection of East New York Avenue. Instead go around to the right hand side and avoid it all together. The ramp is always packed with cars waiting for the light at Penn Ave.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #11677
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Thanks for the tips guys!!
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #11678
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
IMHO Atlantic Ave is slightly better than LIE at evening rush.

I forgot to add one big bit of advice. Do not take thee Atlantic Ave ramp that leads over the intersection of East New York Avenue. Instead go around to the right hand side and avoid it all together. The ramp is always packed with cars waiting for the light at Penn Ave.
Took me 45 mins to get to JFk from BPC. Thanks for the info, I had never driven down Atlantic Ave, thank goodness I brought the big cage, lots of construction and potholes

I see what you mean about East NY Ave, I ended up in the wrong lane (left turn only) but kept going straight anyway , sorry

Thanks Jiro for the boxes! Unfortunately they hadn't arrived yet so I left them in the hotel baggage room. They must've taken the long route from Manhattan to JFK.

Thanks Roy for the bins!!! I forgot to drop off the boot covers... again!!! I'll bring them to your place next week.

Coming back was a mess on the Cross Bronx but overall I was able to pick-up two boxes from Jiro and 7 bins from Roy, drive out to JFK and back to Tappan in 4 hours. And I got to go thru parts of Brooklyn I had never been to.

Most importantly, we were able to help some world travelers
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #11679
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,007
Quote:
Most importantly, we were able to help some world travelers
You the man!!!
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #11680
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,694
morristown museum exhibit
Old 10-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #11681
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Took me 45 mins to get to JFk from BPC. Thanks for the info, I had never driven down Atlantic Ave, thank goodness I brought the big cage, lots of construction and potholes

I see what you mean about East NY Ave, I ended up in the wrong lane (left turn only) but kept going straight anyway , sorry

Happy to have helped. I'm often riding between Brooklyn and Queens and have found a few shortcuts that I am happy to share if needed.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #11682
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,235
juanjo! night ride?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Vygs1Ff5I
Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #11683
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 3,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post

lets do it!!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #11684
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 3,908
Sunday!!

100% legal :)

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/
Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #11685
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,574
I have the ability to snag the wolverine and iron man replica race leathers from udreplicas.com for half price, if anybody is interested let me know, it appears good quality.