ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2007, 05:08 AM   #1231
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
yup...hopin for that 180!

abe
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:27 AM   #1232
Green Lantern
Bikeshopping

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeikis
Well, we'll all just agree to disagree. I'm not crazy about the kids on dirtbikes, though I admit it's the gangs of open-piped KLRs that bother me most--it's just that I'm sick of the BS. I used to play along and figured that getting hassled was worth it because maybe one day my bike will get stolen or something and one of those roadblocks will get it back. Then I lost a client/job for being late after getting held up for 20 minutes in one of those stupid check points, then a month later got nailed for a $350 splitting ticket--for splitting stopped traffic up to a light--and then had to pay an additional $300 to the state of New York for having received more than 4 points in 18 months.

Love it or leave it just doesn't float it for me. I pay a shitload in taxes and it isn't to be hassled at the request of politicians without something better to do. Fix my schools, do something to support neighborhoods and communities instead of twisting the zoning law to suit the highest bidder, spend money to improve the city I live in. Love it, leave it, or do something about it... I guess I'm just not passive enough to get bitch slapped and portray it to myself as "how it is now".

But let's agree to disagree. Back to the meatballs.

Luke

(and no, it wasn't me on the West Side--I usually commute on the nighthawk b/c I'm afraid of the KLR getting ripped off--how ridiculous is that?!)
Luke:
If you're not passive then what are you doing about it other than running your little mouth on a motrocycle board...?
If it really bothers you start a motorcycle critical mass. Don't blame the police check points for losing YOUR client. You've got a cell phone, sweetheart, use it. You deserve to get stopped for lane splitting. And I don't care how much money you'e giving the State. And Blah blah blah. STFU.
This is America. Go make more money. Or find another client.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:51 AM   #1233
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 457
Crack down

Hi Green,
Yesterday on the way to work I was traveling North on Coney Island Avenue. I slowed for a red light at the intersection of Cortelue Road. There was a car in the right lane I was in the left. There was an RMP facing me in the Turn lane. I came to a full stop but before I put my feet down I heard a loud screech of tires behind me. I popped the clutch on instinct and pulled onto the double yellow line. The car behind me slid to a Stop halfway into the intersection with it’s tires locked up and then backed up between my bike and the other car. The cop then pulled over in front of all three of us thereby saving the car drivers life. He got out of the car with his partner. He then waived on the two cars and asked for my papers. I asked him if he saw me almost get killed and he said “yes, motorcycles are dangerous that’s why there is a crack down.” or words to that effect. All my papers checked out. He sent me on my way. I should be glad I was not killed and only delayed 5 minutes. I am sure you would say it is only a minor inconvenience and worth it to get “them” off the road, but I must point out that the them they are looking to get rid of is You.
Alfred
PS Why don't you ever sign with your name like everyone else? and Where's Perry?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #1234
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by old brooklyn boy
He then waived on the two cars and asked for my papers. I asked him if he saw me almost get killed and he said “yes, motorcycles are dangerous that’s why there is a crack down.” or words to that effect.
I'm trying and trying, but I can find neither sense nor justice in this. There's a clear case for at least ticketing the bonehead who almost smeared you, as far as I can tell. And isn't this a clear case of cars or at least inattentive drivers being the true danger?
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #1235
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Eh?

Quote:
Hi Green,
Yesterday on the way to work I was traveling North on Coney Island Avenue. I slowed for a red light at the intersection of Cortelue Road. There was a car in the right lane I was in the left. There was an RMP facing me in the Turn lane. I came to a full stop but before I put my feet down I heard a loud screech of tires behind me. I popped the clutch on instinct and pulled onto the double yellow line. The car behind me slid to a Stop halfway into the intersection with it’s tires locked up and then backed up between my bike and the other car. The cop then pulled over in front of all three of us thereby saving the car drivers life. He got out of the car with his partner. He then waived on the two cars and asked for my papers. I asked him if he saw me almost get killed and he said “yes, motorcycles are dangerous that’s why there is a crack down.” or words to that effect. All my papers checked out. He sent me on my way. I should be glad I was not killed and only delayed 5 minutes. I am sure you would say it is only a minor inconvenience and worth it to get “them” off the road, but I must point out that the them they are looking to get rid of is You.
Alfred
PS Why don't you ever sign with your name like everyone else? and Where's Perry?
Good god man, That's not cool. I'm glad you escaped that mess! And the driver got nothing for that? Sure motorcycles are dangerous especially with the typical dumb fuck drivers around here. (around everywhere?) And especially when the police don't seem to give a shit. Don't you think they should have at least questioned the driver?

Look, if the "crackdown" is designed to rid the streets of all motorcycles than no, not cool. But if it's the only way to remove the horrendously irresponsible riders out there then I don't see much choice but to learn to live with it.

Now I haven't been stopped, ticketed, or delayed. So my perspective is a bit different. I think Luke has a pretty good reason to bitch. And why not bitch here? It's a good a place as any and I don't mind hearing him out.

Has anybody contacted the AMA about the crackdown?

Karl

LusterBroil screwed with this post 06-09-2007 at 04:18 PM
LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #1236
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
wish me luck on monday for my test!

glad to meet you FFs and i'll make sure to keep in touch and see you guys frequently.

i'm back in the land of open roads, scenic country vistas, and no police harassment...well...NORMAL police harassment.

abe
Good luck in your future endeavors Abe. Send us some pictures of your bike with the plastics. Something about no body work and a cardboard license plate just didn’t add up ;)

If your focus is on criminal law, we’ll all be expecting pro-bono defenses for our two wheeled indiscretions.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #1237
bostonsr
Just weight

Eek

oh man alfred...that's really bad.

that cop is a piece of shit.

after that smart-ass reply i'd have told him to go fuck himself...in exactly those words. i'm not sure that's arrest-able and it gets the point across.

that is OUTRAGEOUS conduct to simultaneously excuse negligent driving [nearly manslaughter] and instead hassle a law-abiding [almost-victim] citizen without probable cause for a traffic stop. it certainly erodes public confidence in EVERY police officer...i wonder if his superior officer would back the officer on that.

abe
Old 06-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #1238
bostonsr
Just weight

frankly i just don't see enough motorcycles on the road to warrant ANY extra attention/enforcement.

star-wars solution to a nonexistant problem. so people can act like they have a reason to exist.

abe
Old 06-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #1239
bostonsr
Just weight

officers around here will nail you to the wall for traffic violations that put people at risk...no matter what you drive.

abe
Old 06-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #1240
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale70
Hey! You'll be cooking a carbonara? Are you Italian? Because I am and since I came to the US I haven't found a real carbonara, not even in NYC....
not being italian...but having had this carbonara dish from the gee whiz diner on greenwich and warren in tribeca, and always very satisfied.

maybe one of you guys that have had the dish can try it here and give us a comparison.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #1241
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Adios Abe

Hi Abe,
Will miss you. Ride safe. If you are in town and want to see how a criminal lawyer spends his time when not riding let me know. PM me a smail mail and I will send you that original cycle world review.
Alfred
PS No matter what the provocation do tell an officer that. He was not being a wise ass he said it with the same certainty that I have heard riders say Loud pipes save lives even though there is no proof that it is so.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:32 AM   #1242
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
sideswipe started a thread showing this article in the daily news:

Cops go hog wild
Confiscate 350 motorcycles, slap riders with 5,900 summonses

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...og_wild-2.html
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #1243
Green Lantern
Bikeshopping

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Hi Green,
Alfred
Alfred:
Congrats on saving your own life. You know how to ride. If I recall the stats correctly from MSF most accidents happen at intersections within 5 miles of the rider's home. And of those accidents, the majority of them are riders that are cut off during a left turn (which hapened to me when a tractor-trailor decided to cut in front of me at the intersection of Classon and Fulton), and the others are rear-ends from behind.
The only thing the MSF taught us that I found impractical was to keep the clutch engaged at intersections for situations like the one you were just in. When I first started riding shortly after the MSF course I noticed most riders didn't do this and eventually I stopped as well. But it's always on my mind when I'm at an intersection resting my hands. I don't know if my reflexes would have been as good as yours.
Did you feel incensed when he asked for your papers?

P.S. my name is Brandon
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #1244
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Hi Brandon

No, I was not mad at the cop. He was doing what he had been told to do. Most cops unless they have been told to do so do not go out of there way to give traffic violations. They are discouraged from doing so by their commanding officers. There has to be a compelling reason that they can give a boss for why they are wasting time doing it instead of their own work and why they should be taken off the street to go testify at the DMV. This work is assigned to Highway and only certain cops in any Pct. That is why he let the other driver go. He stopped me because he was told to stop bikes and that’s what he did. He didn’t flake me and write me a ticket for something to justify the stop. My stuff was OK he let me go. I was pissed at the driver not the cop.
MSF and all the books say, come to a stop and keep it in gear with the clutch in so that you can do what I did. Unfortunately just like you I rarely do it that way. I take the bike out of gear to save my left from clutch pump and to save the extended stress on the clutch cable. I hate replacing clutch cables. If this had happened a little latter I would have been dead meat. I stop with both feet on the pegs, put both feet down and then disengage and put them both down again. I guess the MSF has a good point. I will route a new cable and zip tie it to the old one. No sense increasing the life of the cable at the risk of shortening mine.
Alfred
Old 06-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #1245
babooka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
New to the area.
Looking for recommendations on dealerships and accessories stores?
babooka is offline   Reply With Quote