ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #1336
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Crf250?

Anyone missing a CRF 250? Just saw one parked on the sidewalk in my neighborhood. Struck me as a bit odd. Thought about taking it for a ride but it was chained up pretty good.
LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #1337
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
U-Save Auto Rental has a franchise in Bayonne, NJ...you could possibly take a train out there, get picked up by them...do the paperwork...and drive a shiny new pickup truck or full-size cargo van [not box truck...but they have em too] out of there.

UNLIMITED MILES is their biggest selling point...just tell them u want to rent for a day or two, and want unlimited miles...it's 15bucks extra or somethin.

i have rented from them and put on 1,000miles in 4 days without an issue.

a pickup should cost anywhere from 40 to 80bucks a day...vans a little more.
UPDATED: looks like u can get a van for 60 a day base...ask for unlimited miles when u call. 201-437-7277

and they have new stuff...06 07 model years...clean and in excellent condition.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #1338
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,568
If you can wait a little while I can borrow a friends van or Harley F250 pick up and can possibly help ya pick up the bike when I get back from Nova Scotia, will be back next Sunday.

Eddie
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #1339
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,766
i think its done

not to speak for sjb, but i think the bike transport issue was solved thanks to someone on this site.

hopefully sjb will take lots of pics of the new (very old) honda he'll be picking up this weekend.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #1340
bostonsr
Just weight

gosh i had the roughest day...seeing that pic yffs sent me from the ear really picked up my spirits...after all...my tuesday consisted of:

free breakfast at the hotel
a few hours poolside soaking up the sun
bbq lunch
a few more hours poolside soaking up the sun
a drive to the post office
a bucket at the driving range
bbq dinner
sleep

i haven't seen one cloud since i arrived in sunny san jose...the roads are INCREDIBLE here too...so you better believe i'll be back here on the bike.

i donno how much more of this i can take.

abe

Old 06-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #1341
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
gosh i had the roughest day...seeing that pic yffs sent me from the ear really picked up my spirits...after all...my tuesday consisted of:

free breakfast at the hotel
a few hours poolside soaking up the sun
bbq lunch
a few more hours poolside soaking up the sun
a drive to the post office
a bucket at the driving range
bbq dinner
sleep

i haven't seen one cloud since i arrived in sunny san jose...the roads are INCREDIBLE here too...so you better believe i'll be back here on the bike.

i donno how much more of this i can take.

abe
don't over do it. we missed you too.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #1342
bostonsr
Just weight

anybody wanna move out here when i do?

and i definitely wanna do that trip UC.

googs

Old 06-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #1343
bostonsr
Just weight

i think living out here requires a BIG powerful sport/sport tourer/supersport tourer

busa, bmw k12s or somethin similar...the highways are wide and fast, though choppy in parts due to their concrete construction...and nearby isn't very nearby. you cover long distances just running to the grocery store.

the backroads are fast and wide and well designed.

googs

Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #1344
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
F'n drunks

Off-Duty Officer Killed by Alleged Drunk Driver

NEW YORK (AP) -- A 31-year-old off-duty police officer was killed early Monday after a minivan hit his motorcycle, police said.

1010 WINS AUDIO: Al Jones Reports

The collision happened shortly after 1 a.m. near Fort Tyron Park in Upper Manhattan.

Police said Alex Felix was traveling on his red Yamaha motorcycle when he was struck by a white Mercury Villager minivan and careened into another car before coming to a halt.

The driver of the minivan, Kevin Tasado, 32, of Manhattan, was taken to the hospital, where he was arrested on a charge of driving while intoxicated.

Felix lived three blocks from the scene of the fatal accident in Inwood. He leaves behind a pregnant wife and a large extended family.

Felix spent eight years as an auxiliary officer and three years as an NYPD cop out of the 30th Precinct in Harlem.

This is the second fatal accident involving a NYPD officer in less than a month. On June 12, William Weghorst, 39, lost control of his motorcycle in New Hampshire and crashed. He died the next day.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #1345
bostonsr
Just weight

that's unfortunate.

as unfriendly as the city is to bikers, i wonder if nypd officers will treat cage vs. bike incidents with more respect for the humanity of the biker seeing as how one of their own was involved.

i'm not holding my breath.

on a related note:

i read an article recently where they stated that, among other things like prostitution, drug sales, and muggings....red light running is a quality of life issue that departments should seek to enforce because it reduces the public's cynical attitude towards ALL local laws. seems to make sense...hopefully they don't blame this fallen officer for his own death for being on a bike [which seems to be the attitude of the general public and law enforcement.]

abe

Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #1346
jshmata
lost adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I got caught up in the dragnet on the west side just before the GW onramps. The cop says to me "Welcome to the NYC highway patrol." Very politely, he asked for my papers. Naturally it was 85 degrees I am in leather jacket, dress shirt and my tie. I struck up a conversation and he said he is doing his job; helmet (DOT OK), license, regs, inspection sticker, and insurance, that's it. I thought I was cooked because I white lined all the way up from 14th St. He had one squid on the sidelines waiting for the tow truck. The cop was plain and matter of fact, have the docs in hand and happy motoring. The poor kid on a 49cc scooter I passed up, was probably not legal on the West Side Highway and boy.....did that cop drop me like a hot potato and walked between lanes to pick him up for interogation. All in all he was cool, and I got on my GS and headed for Yonkers and home. Be cool and polite and have at least the majority of your documents, and NY's finest will be cool too.
PS I got to Inwood at Dyckman St and talked to the Tow Truck driver on Bdwy there; he had a GSRX in a sling 5 feet in the air; told me he was working with the cop under the bridge, all day apparently. Moral of the story, have your documents easily accessible.
jshmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 AM   #1347
rluczak
Bemused

Oddometer: 218
Sat afternoon saw a couple of sport bikes pulled over at the in-bound toll boothes on the Throgs Neck Bridge. Two cop cars, a couple of unhappy looking riders (not ATGATT) and a flatbed backing up to take the bikes . . .
rluczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #1348
Spacerat
I worry about my apathy.

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshmata
I got caught up in the dragnet on the west side just before the GW onramps. The cop says to me "Welcome to the NYC highway patrol." Very politely, he asked for my papers. Naturally it was 85 degrees I am in leather jacket, dress shirt and my tie. I struck up a conversation and he said he is doing his job; helmet (DOT OK), license, regs, inspection sticker, and insurance, that's it. I thought I was cooked because I white lined all the way up from 14th St. He had one squid on the sidelines waiting for the tow truck. The cop was plain and matter of fact, have the docs in hand and happy motoring. The poor kid on a 49cc scooter I passed up, was probably not legal on the West Side Highway and boy.....did that cop drop me like a hot potato and walked between lanes to pick him up for interogation. All in all he was cool, and I got on my GS and headed for Yonkers and home. Be cool and polite and have at least the majority of your documents, and NY's finest will be cool too.
PS I got to Inwood at Dyckman St and talked to the Tow Truck driver on Bdwy there; he had a GSRX in a sling 5 feet in the air; told me he was working with the cop under the bridge, all day apparently. Moral of the story, have your documents easily accessible.
I was born and raised in NYC and have been riding here for 15 years...I have NEVER seen any cop ticket for a non DOT helmet. I've always been stunned how they let the Harley and stunta guys run around with those plastic cereal bowls.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #1349
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,593
recommendation for metric parts shop

Hey guys,
I'm hoping someone out there can help me with a recommendation for a metric auto parts shop. You know the kind of place run by crusty old guys who sell metric sized fuel line by the meter, a place that has bins full of metric nuts and bolts, etc. I'm trying to buy some fuel line for my new '72 Honda CB450 (thanks Ethan!) as well as some fasteners to replace ones that are missing or bunged and I'm just not having any luck with the major brand parts stores.

SOMEWHERE in this city has got to be the kinda place I'm looking for. Please enlighten me.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #1350
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 459
Honda stuff

Hi Sean,
Go to this web site and join up. The site name is NYC vintage motorcycles. Below is the email for the moderator. His nave is Seth or MR Rosko. They are very active in repair, racing, rebuilding and restoring hondas like yours. Good group. They can set you up with all the info you need.
NYCvinMoto Mailing List
Have fun,
Alfred