ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #1396
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn
That doesn't count if you're not videotaping....

youtube generation.....

Good to see ya at Dr's last night John
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #1397
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,832
Do I have to?

Do I have to go back and read all 94 pages of this thread or can I just start from this page on?

I live in the Bronx and commute an average of 2 days a week to Metrotech in Brooklyn.

It's really not all that practical for me but I love to ride so I do it anyhow. Even while fending off cagers down the FDR during rush hour. I'm like a knight in Joe Rocket armor
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #1398
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos
Do I have to go back and read all 94 pages of this thread or can I just start from this page on?
Not at all: Set your thread display options to show 40 posts per page. Then it's only about 35 pages.

Just kidding, welcome aboard.
d
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #1399
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr

QUESTION FOR THE GROUP:

how many NYC commuters have CHOSEN to live in nyc and how many are FORCED to live in nyc? did the riding situation impact the decision on where to settle? could you see yourself living elsewhere and enjoying your current lifestyle as well as an improved riding environment? why or why not?

my few months in nyc cemented the decision that it is NOT the city for me...sure, it's convenient to have 24' pizza and loads of bars to party in, pretty girls on the horrid subway...but the everpresent filth, traffic, crowds, bike thieves, police crackdowns, and slow A to B pace just really killed it for me.

i love you guys...but what's with the self flagellation????

abe

Right now I’m forced to live here. I have a good job and my girl’s family lives here. I have no attachments to the city. I do love its culture but I would definitely consider a change for an improved environment.
The city wears you down. As beautiful as it is to have so many people living within one space (Ideally) it’s just that much more horrible when the worst of the human nature comes to surface. It’s a love hate relation.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #1400
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos
I'll summarize for you:

Cabs suck.
There may be congestion pricing.
There's a crackdown on bikes in the city this summer.
We go to the ear on Tuesdays.
There's nowhere to park around here.
You won't get a ticket if you remove your license plate.
You will get a ticket if you remove your license plate.
Perry wants to move.
bostonsr already moved.
Cabs suck.
RoadDawg's bike is rarely, if ever, running.

Did I miss anything?

Ginzer screwed with this post 07-25-2007 at 02:57 PM
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #1401
tessler
progressive

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
QUESTION FOR THE GROUP:

how many NYC commuters have CHOSEN to live in nyc and how many are FORCED to live in nyc? did the riding situation impact the decision on where to settle? could you see yourself living elsewhere and enjoying your current lifestyle as well as an improved riding environment? why or why not?

my few months in nyc cemented the decision that it is NOT the city for me...sure, it's convenient to have 24' pizza and loads of bars to party in, pretty girls on the horrid subway...but the everpresent filth, traffic, crowds, bike thieves, police crackdowns, and slow A to B pace just really killed it for me.

i love you guys...but what's with the self flagellation????

abe
I've been here my whole life. I grew up in BKLYN and have been doin' pretty well on the UWS for the past 2 decades. I started riding a few years ago, mostly for jettisoning myself beyond city limits, having a blast and returning. In town, I've pretty much given up on using my bike as anything other than interboro transportation (Manhattan to Qns/Bx/Bklyn, etc.). Riding from points Manhattan-to-Manhattan is mindnumbing at best, infuriating at worst.

I'm curious to know, how many of us here are natives too?
tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #1402
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDawg
I'll summarize for you:

Cabs suck.
There may be congestion pricing.
There's a crackdown on bikes in the city this summer.
We go to the ear on Tuesdays.
There's nowhere to park around here.
You won't get a ticket if you remove your license plate.
You will get a ticket if you remove your license plate.
Perry wants to move.
bostonsr already moved.
Cabs suck.
RoadDawg's bike is rarely, if ever, running.

Did I miss anything?

This link may help.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=hate
Old 07-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #1403
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
HAHAHA good one Perry!
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #1404
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 459
Native

Native so is Alison. Our relationship to the city is much like the one we have with the city. We love the city and the children but there are times when you just have to get away and as soon as you do you talk about them or how much you miss them. I don't think I will ever move.
Alfred
Old 07-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #1405
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 459
typo. sorry.

Our relationship with the city is like the one we have with the children.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #1406
SPEEZ
Confused Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Hi,
Just saying hello. Been eyeballing the threads for a few days and I thought I'd introduce myself. Just bought an 07' R12GS in May and lovin it. Been get'in outa the city every weekend heading upstate. I'm doing about 300 miles a week. I'm on the east side around the corner from the other yellow R12GS without the fairing and the big ballast strapped to the gauges.

SPEEZ screwed with this post 07-25-2007 at 08:54 PM
SPEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #1407
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
an update

I saw the best thing in the Holland Tunnel tonight. I was choking along as usual and up beside me comes this big red softail. The wife on the back gives me a nod and i nod back. I check out their bike and realize they have a PARROT riding on the handlebars!!!! A real, live, big green parrot! Amazingly, it seemed to enjoy the ride. It really made my day.

I've been riding daily except for flood days between nyc and nj to various places (I freelance). I'm loving this xcountry. It handles beautifully in traffic and has the power to go any speed I could handle. I recently took it for a ride to Boston and back in the same weekend (my home turf). I maintained 75-80 the whole way, hitting 90+ at some points. It was like flying on that naked bike. Too bad there were other cars on the road. The icing on the cake has to be the 70+mpg that i've been getting. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Also, I managed to get up to some trails in central MA along the way. Powerlines and logging trails--things i used to hit as a kid on my mtn bike. It did beautifully in the dirt and on the rocks. I dropped it twice. Once on some super soft sand at a starting turn and later trying to balance riding atop/along a fallen tree. The flexible turn signals and rugged plastic "tank" absorbed the impact well. I had to pop the signal back in with an allen wrench, but it seems designed to take a beating.

I had a moment of jealousy today though. A stripped down KTM? with no license plate was parked on 58th st near 8th. It'd be nice to have a bike you could not care about, park anywhere with no plate, and still kick traffic's butt. Too bad I don't have the space for two.

Anyhow, I'm loving riding here. The bike is the ONLY way to get around NYC. And to further my ramble, I hit up Coney Island last weekend for the siren fest and some spins on the Cyclone. I parked right in front of Nathan's next to some horse cops and was approached immediately by one of them. The first words out of his mouth were "Is that the XCountry?". We talked bikes and such for a few mins and he seemed rather interested in getting one of them. I was tempted to offer to trade rides for a spin around the block. Distracted, I forgot my key in the ignition and left it parked there for an hour or more, right on Surf Avenue! --A very good time to have 10 officers milling around, it was untouched when I returned.

Anyhow, I'm gonna knock on some wood and throw some salt over my shoulder, but it's been a good riding season so far.

Happy Riding, NYC

PS anybody know what the deal is with the bar at Spring and Greenwich? I notice a bunch of BMWs there from time to time.
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #1408
Recht
Binge Thinker

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko Begonia
I'm curious to know, how many of us here are natives too?
Born and raised here. Tried London for a bit, wintered in Tahoe for several years in a row.Keep getting sucked back here. Spend most of my time now getting away from here or plotting the next get away.
I love New York........in my rear view mirrors.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 AM   #1409
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko Begonia
Nice. Yes, this city fucking sucks, but that's for us to say not you cock-knocking, cremaster-challenged whining poseurs from Idaho or wherever the fuck you're from.

Move back to Boise if tha pawking and the tewible noise is too much for you.

I was born here fucknut.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:17 AM   #1410
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwxcountry
I check out their bike and realize they have a PARROT riding on the handlebars!!!! A real, live, big green parrot! Amazingly, it seemed to enjoy the ride. It really made my day.

Also, I managed to get up to some trails in central MA along the way. Powerlines and logging trails--things i used to hit as a kid on my mtn bike. It did beautifully in the dirt and on the rocks. I dropped it twice. Once on some super soft sand at a starting turn and later trying to balance riding atop/along a fallen tree. The flexible turn signals and rugged plastic "tank" absorbed the impact well. I had to pop the signal back in with an allen wrench, but it seems designed to take a beating.

PS anybody know what the deal is with the bar at Spring and Greenwich? I notice a bunch of BMWs there from time to time.
I have a snake with me all the time...

Where in MA? I've gone to MaBell, Florida Rd and Rattlesnake Gutter (all western mass).

The bar on Spring St: full of gay BMW riders...

I wasn't born in the US, haven't lived in Manhattan (my wife has) and have traveled to different countries and I have to say that there are only two cities I would live in: NY and BA. I don't think I could live anywhere else..
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote