ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #14431
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer: 326
Jesus Fing Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilgrey View Post
Just listened to that NPR bit. Why aren't all those PIGs in jail?
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #14432
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
All right, WTF! I WANT TO SCREAM!

I just went to get to Vespa Soho to get my Duc inspected.
"Sorry, we don't do inspections here anymore. Try Vespa Greenpoint"
"Why not?"
"We stopped doing them this year"

They must have JUST stopped doing them. They did my inspection in March.

SOHO Ducati is always a huge delay. I don't know what the deal is. Nor have I heard anything about a fine for inspecting bikes on the street.

Try Motorgrrl or Works Engineering. Just a quick ride over the bridge.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #14433
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,826
Went to get my DR650 inspected this afternoon at a bike shop in the Bronx, I too was told I needed an appointment. Place was empty, I was the only customer but I can come back tomorrow morning. Whatevah
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #14434
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,741
the wife came home irritated on friday. nypd had set up in both the left and right lanes of a 3 lane section of houston ( pronounced - hyouston) at the west side highway. i had passed through a couple hours earlier in a zip car and saw them as well. i was not detained. the wife was getting a ride home from a coworker, late 30's, white, female, driving a mini. end of day, they both wanted to be home and traffic was slow in that area. (IMHO yes because nypd were causing a bottle neck) the women asked why they were being pulled over. "safety check. make sure papers are in order. to talk to you, see if i could smell alcohol on the breath". when asked why they were singled out. "lucky number 20. every 20th car and 5th truck." looks like everything is in order, enjoy your weekend."

i told the wife, yep, that is what we keep complaining about x10. did they immediately reach for the ignition keys and remove them? of course not. did they have to walk the car to the side of the road? didn't think so.

i assume nypd can now say they are not singling out bikes. they are doing safety checks for the cars and trucks as well. maybe not as frequently or together. why don't they? 20th car, 10th 2 wheeler, 5th truck.

just now realized while writing this that it would be interesting to observe one of these check points and find out if they are letting any body go on items they are taking the bikes on. are they actually doing any type of equipment check?

--
as for the inspections that SOHO Vespa has done over the last 10 years for me. think i can get a refund since they were not done correctly by a properly trained technician?
Old 06-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #14435
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,301
A few years ago NYS legalized putting the inspection sticker on a small plate attached to the bike rather than the bike itself. Lots of Harley guys had been doing it even before the law was passed, with the H-D dealers selling the plates and doing the inspections.

So now I have my inspection stickers on small homemade plates, bolted onto the bikes.

Theoretically, and I'm just saying, a person could swap them from bike to bike.

If someone is in trouble because of an expired or close to expired sticker, they could always take a ride to Westchester and get it inspected on the spot mornings at Hudson Valley Motorcycles in Ossining, or up the Palisades to Rockwell's in Ft Montgomery near the Bear Mt Bridge.

Attended Eddie's funeral this morning in Queens, along with friends and family, and about 100 or so members of the NYPD. Nice ceremony, including a treetop level overflight by a police helicopter. Great support by ADV with about 10 on bikes in the procession from the funeral home to the church.

I was just looking at the EAR bar thread, and just one page back there's a comment by Eddie. Hard to comprehend that he's gone, and there will be no more comments from him.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #14436
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Got my inspection at Speed Motorcycle on E95th Street. $10 and 10 minutes later I was riding off with the sticker on my forks. No appt necessary.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #14437
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Turns out my July 19th appointment offered by Ducati Soho said may be illegal...

From the DMV website:

"When a vehicle inspection is requested, an inspection station must inspect any vehicle it is licensed to inspect or must provide, in writing, an appointment date that is within eight working days."

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c-50.htm
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #14438
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
Got my inspection at Speed Motorcycle on E95th Street. $10 and 10 minutes later I was riding off with the sticker on my forks. No appt necessary.
Did they raise the rates, or did you give a 66% tip? My 2 inspections in May were @ $6, which was the official rate.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #14439
macutan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I did mine last year at Camrod Motorsports (627 11th ave; between 46th and 47th st) 6 bucks and no appointment needed
Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #14440
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
No tip. I was given a receipt for $10. Do they or is it even legal to charge different rates for various bikes?

Honda 599 here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Did they raise the rates, or did you give a 66% tip? My 2 inspections in May were @ $6, which was the official rate.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #14441
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by macutan View Post
I did mine last year at Camrod Motorsports (627 11th ave; between 46th and 47th st) 6 bucks and no appointment needed
Too bad camrod is no more
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #14442
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
INSPECTION UPDATE!

I called around...

Vespa Brooklyn shuts at 5:30. Motorgrrl shuts at 6 and CARBON NEGATIVE shuts at 7.

So I went to Carbon Negative. Teh guy asked me for my keys and registartion. He dashed outside and turned my ignition on and clicked the starter... It leapt forward, but I helped him catch it before it fell off the stand.

"Oh, I saw the green light and thought..."
"That is the light that says the headlight is on."
"Bikes aren't supposed to start in gear."
"Well, bikes built today don't..."

I don't know about you guys but I don't try to start motorcycles unless I know them well, but I always have the front brake held and the clutch in, unless I'm straddling the bike...

Getting new forks next week so we just taped the 'spection sticker to the fork upper.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #14443
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
No tip. I was given a receipt for $10. Do they or is it even legal to charge different rates for various bikes?

Honda 599 here.

All motorcycle safety inspections are $6 in New York. Take a look at group 3 in this chart. http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs77.pdf

I just went to Shelbys Motorsports here in the Bronx for my "appointment". When asked if I can be helped, I tell the guy I have an appt for a state inspection. He looks at the desk calendar and tells me he doesnt have anything. He checks with the guy who gave me the appt and that guy points out that he was looking at the wrong date.

So the guy comes outside to inspect the bike, gives the bike a good going over (which I dont mind), then informs me it wont pass because the balls on the end of the clutch and brake levers are cut off. He says they are meant to keep your fingers from sliding off the levers. I tell him my handguards do a better job of that. He insists it wont pass, so I ask him to show me the NYS motorcycle safety inspection checklist, which every registered inspection station should have. He whips out his cellphone and says he's calling a guy who's an inspector, while going back inside. Um, then what are you? After a few minutes inside, he comes out with the new sticker and informs me that the levers are OK, but it wouldnt have passed if they were bent or damaged.

So folks, if your bike legitimately fails, that's one thing. But if you know your bike passes a NYS safety inspection, and the "inspector" insists it doesnt, kindly show him a copy of the MV-529B. I think next time I'll take Speedo66's advice and ride to a shop a little north of me. At least I'll enjoy the trip.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #14444
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
I despised going to prospect cycles for inspection. $15 every other Tuesday between 12-2...seriously?

So I would always go to the Honda Dealer on Utica until the dude behind the counter copt an atitude with me when I tried to order fork seals but the braindead kid runing the machine told me it would be $250 because he can't just get seals he needs to order the kit.

So he turns the monitor to me so I can see it, I could not quite read it so I turn it a bit more and the OTHER guy on the end of the counter yells at me and says hey, wtf, this isn't your house!

Did I mention I have been buying parts there and dealing with him for like 10 years?

After a bit of research I found a guy who does automotive repairs on McDonald avenue and ave X...and now he has a motorcycle inspection sticker on the shop wall!

Awesome, and wink wink, your bike WILL pass.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #14445
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Friend of mine is ready to step up to an adventure bike, or possibly the new Honda NC700, anyone know anyone who may be interested in his old ride?

2007 FZ6
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/3104500680.html

Pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/105777335313969153604/FZ6

I put it up for $4500, now $4000, ADV price will be significantly less.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote