ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #14461
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Just got a note from my friend Colin, who got pulled over again for riding without a helmet on his class C registered moped, which technically doesn't require a helmet...

Just got pulled over for no helmet again. After he didn't get the class c thing, I calmy told the cop he was "using his position of power as a bully pulpit to force his views on me, punishing me by sending me to court." ("You said a bully what?") And that I would file a harassment claim against him. He did some more thinking and then agreed that I was right and let me go. :-)

Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #14462
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Just a note it is illegal for a shop to charge you more than the state fee for a inspection. Although I have a guy local who charged me 10 bucks I did not complain because it was in and out. I was going to tip the guy the 4 bucks anyway. I cant believe some shops would actually give you a bill with a price more than legal and with tax. There is no tax on inspections.

Hey welcome to life in the big apple

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #14463
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniele View Post
Just a note it is illegal for a shop to charge you more than the state fee for a inspection. Although I have a guy local who charged me 10 bucks I did not complain because it was in and out. I was going to tip the guy the 4 bucks anyway. I cant believe some shops would actually give you a bill with a price more than legal and with tax. There is no tax on inspections.

Hey welcome to life in the big apple
SO what happened to LDF's bike???
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #14464
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
It failed inspection.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #14465
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
No tip. I was given a receipt for $10. Do they or is it even legal to charge different rates for various bikes?

Honda 599 here.
No, same rate for all bikes, you got beat. As JD said, there is an official rate, $6, anything more is illegal.

I once had a Harley dealer tell me they only inspect H-D. I said I'd bring that up with a DMV facilities inspector, and suddenly they were willing to inspect a 'Jap" bike as they had referred to it.

EDIT: FYI, just checked, and NYS motorcycle inspection stickers are sold to dealers in books of 40 for $80.

Speedo66 screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 05:35 PM
Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #14466
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
I'd happily pay $20 or more if the whole process wasn't such a pain in the ass. Went to Vespa Soho today; sorry we don't do them anymore. Called Ducati/Triumph; need a service appointment. I guess I won't be buying a Tiger from them. WTF. Seriously. Isn't this a GREAT way to get a potential customer into your shop? Sell him (or her) some gear, a new helmet, maybe even a new motorcycle/scooter. I'd pay someone to come to me to do it. If anyone knows anyone that can do it please PM me.
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #14467
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham View Post
I'd happily pay $20 or more if the whole process wasn't such a pain in the ass. Went to Vespa Soho today; sorry we don't do them anymore. Called Ducati/Triumph; need a service appointment. I guess I won't be buying a Tiger from them. WTF. Seriously. Isn't this a GREAT way to get a potential customer into your shop? Sell him (or her) some gear, a new helmet, maybe even a new motorcycle/scooter. I'd pay someone to come to me to do it. If anyone knows anyone that can do it please PM me.

I'll second what's been said about Brooklyn Aprillia - no appt. needed, quick, and $6.
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #14468
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 476
Go to Prospect Cycles. After you tell them to go fuck themselves, ride over to Kings and be done in ten minutes.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #14469
mimo523
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
Go to Prospect Cycles. After you tell them to go fuck themselves, ride over to Kings and be done in ten minutes.
+1 Ive gotten it done there multiple times and its always $6. and takes 5 minutes
mimo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #14470
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
No, same rate for all bikes, you got beat. As JD said, there is an official rate, $6, anything more is illegal.

I once had a Harley dealer tell me they only inspect H-D. I said I'd bring that up with a DMV facilities inspector, and suddenly they were willing to inspect a 'Jap" bike as they had referred to it.

EDIT: FYI, just checked, and NYS motorcycle inspection stickers are sold to dealers in books of 40 for $80.
Funny about H-D not wanting to deal with your bike considering that some H-D dealers are partnering up with Hyosung. Or is that OK since Korea didn't attack Pearl Harbor?

Anyway my inspection is up at the end up the month too so I figured lemme take a stab at it today before my family hijacks me for something. Just for shits 'n giggles I thought I'd take a different approach and use the DMV web site to look up the nearest motorcycle inspection place in my ZIP code. Up pops an auto repair shop very close by at Woodhaven and 64th. Nothing to lose by trying...

The last time I tried an auto shop for a motorcycle inspection it was a breeze at a place in Nanuet. Efficient, not bothered by it, and very thorough too. Used a tire gauge, warned me about some thinning brake pads, and did the most anal job of cleaning the old sticker off that I ever witnessed. Delightful.

I rolled into this place on Woodhaven mid-afternoon, there were cars on all the lifts but nobody working on 'em. Asked a kid sweeping up if they did motorcycle inspections and he said "yeah but let me check when". He disappears into the office, comes out and tells me to come back tomorrow morning because they need an open service bay so they can scan my registration.

Call me silly but I'd think the shop would at least want to recoup the cost of that book of stickers and work a little less hard to come up with reasons to be a pain in the ass. It takes a minute to check tires, brakes, lights and horn, a minute to put on the sticker and a minute or two for the paperwork. That's about a buck a minute. Not terrible, right? Oh well.

So I took an eight minute ride to D&M in Woodside instead and Dominic was happy to do this enormously difficult task, no waiting. And greatly appreciated me leaving him the change from the ten.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #14471
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
So I took an eight minute ride to D&M in Woodside instead and Dominic was happy to do this enormously difficult task, no waiting. And greatly appreciated me leaving him the change from the ten.
Funny, I thought for a second to stop there on my way home after splitting with you guys yesterday. Took a quick peek to the right before I made the left on Queens Blvd and it looked closed. But now that I think about it, it always appears that way from a distance.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #14472
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,894
Ahh...Inspections, I have a lot of thoughts on this and some experience. I was a licensed motorcycle inspector and did inspections at New York Motorcycle, Prospect Cycle, and Plaza Honda through the years. The deal is this, they suck for the shop. You can just go through the motions and pass everyone and make the lousy four bucks (I think they cost $.80 a piece the last time a bought a book) This keeps everyone happy but generates no money for the shop and wastes time. Of course it does get you goodwill which might make you a few bucks.
The next option is to be restrictive on when you do them, and break the rules for your customers and do them whenever. This keeps your loyal people happy and mildly pisses off guys coming in just for an inspection.
Third is to use them as an up sell. Do them at all times, do not pass any bike that is not 100% compliant (not hard since the actual list is so small) and then really go over the bike and look for things it needs. Fork seals, wheel bearings, maybe sell them a service, check the cables. This was my approach, I never ripped anyone off but tried to make money on it, and probably saved someones life, and wallet by making sure their bike was safe for them.
Also a lot of shops only have one or two licensed inspectors and if someone else gets caught doing it they are screwed. If the inspector is the service manager he can't answer the phone, or the master mechanic, he is not making money. I always made sure the parts guys were inspectors if they had mechanical ability.
As for auto shops that do it, they often do it because they ride harleys and such and just do it for their friends. Hit or miss on whether they will do it for anyone, or can't be bothered.
I always get my inspections at the same shop, and it doesn't matter if it is during their hours as I worked with the service manager for years. But once I needed a sticker and they were closed on a Monday. I called D&M and Dominic who i did not know said to come in. He happily did it and we BS'ed and knew a lot of mutual people. But he was easy enough before that conversation.
Oh LGIB I haven't spoken to Chuckwagon in years, next time you see him tell him "Rich from Orient" said hello. Doubt he knows my last name.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #14473
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,896
When I lived in Queens 25 years ago, I don't recall have problems with inspections. I used to go to Stadium Cycles by Shea on Northern Blvd, now gone.

In Westchester, it was never an issue. Hudson Valley Cycles (Suzuki,Kawasaki), formerly in Millwood, and currently in Ossining, were always fair. Same for Rockwells (Ducati,Triumph, Husky, Bimota, also nice clothing and accessory inventory) in Orange County.

Also felt both their service depts. were good, and fairly priced.

Typical city crap that they can make a non issue an issue. I find the illegal inspection prices, especially with a receipt, particularly amusing.

Get out of the city and take a nice traffic free ride to one of these places to see what a hassle free inspection is like. Reward yourself with a nice curvy ride through 7 Lakes Dr in Harriman State Park, and a ride up Perkins Dr. to the top of Bear Mt. for amazing views. Both free by the way.

Make it a fun event rather than a pain.

I haven't registered my bikes yet in CT, still own property in NY, but I don't believe they do motorcycle inspections.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #14474
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,040
Jersey...

Move to NJ. No motorcycle inspections anymore!

What a total waste of time it used to be. Going with a stupid helmet that had reflective tape all over it. Making sure turn signals worked, and the horn beeped. Can't believe the police state you have to put up with in NYC in regards to motorcycles. One would think that someone with a brain would realize commuter bikes make sense.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #14475
hitmanlol
Cotor Myclist

Oddometer: 868
Police state? Cmon! In NYC you don't have to wear helmets, have a license plate, or be on 2 wheels at all times.

hitmanlol is offline   Reply With Quote