ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #14731
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
My Givi topcase key broke loose from the plastic base. Any locksmiths in the NYC area that stock OEM Givi key blanks?
Do you need it asap? If not go to motorcyclekeys.com, give him the GIVI number and he'll send you the keys, will take 3 days to get here and cost ya $35 for 3 keys shipped.

Depending on the key code of your particular GIVI case an ILCO 226 blank works (I am probably wrong on the number, have one sitting around here somewhere)

Most locksmiths should have it, the locksmith kiosk at the West 8th Street DMV has them and he once cut me a few, but last week he was not able to and I could not quite understand his reason. Thick russian accent.

I had him cut me keys where one side was keyed to one case and the other side of the key was keyed to a different GIVI case. GIVI locks only have tumblers on one side so you can have a key cut that was for use on more than one case.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #14732
Ryan
Flugistani

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham View Post
Anyone know if there is dedicated motorcycle at the Izod Center in the Meadowlands?
Last time there, I parked all the way up front, next to the sidewalk by the gap in the fence where all the door slammers walk through to get to the entrance. Checked with a NJ state trooper in the lot who was working the event, he was fine with it, no problem - but I would ask first. Tell them you're worried about the bike getting stolen or vandalized if it's less visible.

"There's Absolutely No Excuse for the Way I'm About to Act"
http://longerfasterstronger.wordpress.com/
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #14733
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I will.

Here are the top three.

1. The black hats in Boro Park
2. The black hats in Crown Heights
3. The black hats in Villiamsburg

And that is not racist, I also think people in white hats, pink hats and especially Fedora hats are also brainsdead idiots.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #14734
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
My Givi topcase key broke loose from the plastic base. Any locksmiths in the NYC area that stock OEM Givi key blanks?
I was able to get some from Abbey Locksmith on 81st and 2nd.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #14735
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,432
HELP SAVE MY MARRIAGE- Buy my Project bike

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810755

My wife is pissed and I need this to go away ASAP. Seriously- $500 or best offer!
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #14736
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 966
Tire changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersteph View Post
Well you have JD who would prolly do this for you for far less.
I just wanted to publicly say thank you to Stephan for pointing us toward JD, and JD (and his lovely wife) for having us over today, on a weekend, to change out tires on both Rachael and my bikes. They were very gracious in giving up part of their Sunday to do so, and the job turned out to be a bit more work, and took a bit longer than expected.

JD (username jdaniele) had a few bikes in the garage, including one who was getting a full suspension treatment. His work was very thorough, the prices reasonable, and the company great. I definitely recommend him for those in the area needing work on their bikes.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #14737
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Another plug for John Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
I just wanted to publicly say thank you to Stephan for pointing us toward JD, and JD (and his lovely wife) for having us over today, on a weekend, to change out tires on both Rachael and my bikes. They were very gracious in giving up part of their Sunday to do so, and the job turned out to be a bit more work, and took a bit longer than expected.

JD (username jdaniele) had a few bikes in the garage, including one who was getting a full suspension treatment. His work was very thorough, the prices reasonable, and the company great. I definitely recommend him for those in the area needing work on their bikes.
A few weeks ago I had a charging problem with my Ducat, no voltage coming from the generator. I called John describing my problem, he told me what to check for. I won't get into specifics, but what he told me to do worked. If it wasn't for him I would have brought it to a dealer and got hosed for sure.

For those that don't know, John doesn't only fix motorcycles, he can fix any car, computer, stereo, microwave oven, toasters, boilers, air conditioners ,watches, etc. I grew up with the guy, he really has a gift.
apriliacati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #14738
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post

It was a pleasure meeting you both. Enjoy the rest of the journey.

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #14739
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliacati View Post
A few weeks ago I had a charging problem with my Ducat, no voltage coming from the generator. I called John describing my problem, he told me what to check for. I won't get into specifics, but what he told me to do worked. If it wasn't for him I would have brought it to a dealer and got hosed for sure.

For those that don't know, John doesn't only fix motorcycles, he can fix any car, computer, stereo, microwave oven, toasters, boilers, air conditioners ,watches, etc. I grew up with the guy, he really has a gift.
That was an easy one Ed but Thanks

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #14740
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 886
Weird sight on Atlantic Ave

Yesterday, I was in my truck heading west on Atlantic Ave... one of those spots where it splits so you can drive over an overpass (Georgia Ave), or stay to the right and drive parallel. I stayed right, and when I got around Williams Ave, there must have been over 100 bikes parked. Lots of crotch rockets, but I saw some dirtbikes, too. Some knucklehead on a sportbike followed me doing a wheelie (my gf thought he was chasing us away)... I have to admit, I considered tapping my brakes, but ultimately, that probably would have proved unwise.
I have never seen so many bikes parked in such a tight space before; I wonder if that's a normal meeting place for them.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #14741
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Thanks guys but neither motorcycle keys.com nor Abbey locksmith are able to cut a copy of my broken Givi key.

I called Givi this morning and ordered a new cylinder with 2 keys. Anyone have experience changing out the cylinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconati View Post
I was able to get some from Abbey Locksmith on 81st and 2nd.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #14742
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,343
Quote:
Thanks guys but neither motorcycle keys.com nor Abbey locksmith are able to cut a copy of my broken Givi key.

I called Givi this morning and ordered a new cylinder with 2 keys. Anyone have experience changing out the cylinder?
Takes less than 5 minutes, I can give you a hand if needed.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #14743
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,547
mini-rant....

Over 2 months to get my fucking title from the DMV, are you fucking kidding me??? I plugged the info into the website and it confirms it hasn't been issued yet (I thought I messed up and threw it away by mistake). I'm moving to Yonkers and need this fucking thing gone! Speaking of Yonkers, I'm moving literally 5 miles away and my premium for my bikes jumped from $80 to $220!!

Rant over, thank you
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #14744
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
intro a nyc/the bronx/riverdale newbie

i'm a returning rider.

after 35+ years, managed to pass the mss/msf course up in mott haven (thanks to both of my instructors named monica!).

have spent the last month, riding friends, dealers and craigslist bikes looking for something that would work for me (58yr/6'/190lbs/32.5 inseam).

i'm not a cruiser guy nor a sport rider.

i'm probably a ujm type.

plus i'm trying to keep this whole endeavor on a very lean budget.

(wife and kids are supportive but keeping cost down assists their support)

i'm located in riverdale/the bronx.

i'm just north of manhattan island and just south of yonkers.

i've ridden several older kawasakis-the zr-7s and the z750s.

i like both bikes but leaning towards the newer, fuel injected z750s.

i could use -local to me- a motorcycle mechanic recommendation.

after i find a used bike i wanted someone to perform an oil change, chain lube, change fork oil, maybe bleed the brakes and flush the coolant.

anyone have opinions on solomoto in greenwich, ct?

how about kim's on mclean avenue in yonkers?

anyone venture a ballpark guess-timate as to cost to have those services performed by an independent mechanic not a dealership?

thanks in advance to those who care to share.

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #14745
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
i'm a returning rider.

after 35+ years, managed to pass the mss/msf course up in mott haven (thanks to both of my instructors named monica!).

have spent the last month, riding friends, dealers and craigslist bikes looking for something that would work for me (58yr/6'/190lbs/32.5 inseam).

i'm not a cruiser guy nor a sport rider.

i'm probably a ujm type.

plus i'm trying to keep this whole endeavor on a very lean budget.

(wife and kids are supportive but keeping cost down assists their support)

i'm located in riverdale/the bronx.

i'm just north of manhattan island and just south of yonkers.

i've ridden several older kawasakis-the zr-7s and the z750s.

i like both bikes but leaning towards the newer, fuel injected z750s.

i could use -local to me- a motorcycle mechanic recommendation.

after i find a used bike i wanted someone to perform an oil change, chain lube, change fork oil, maybe bleed the brakes and flush the coolant.

anyone have opinions on solomoto in greenwich, ct?

how about kim's on mclean avenue in yonkers?

anyone venture a ballpark guess-timate as to cost to have those services performed by an independent mechanic not a dealership?

thanks in advance to those who care to share.

be well.

rob
can't help you with shops but maybe there's a inmate up in your hood that has a garage and you can learn to wrench on it yourself. especially for these simple services, going to a mechanic would entail 90/hour rates when you could do it yourself with someone else watching for just the cost of parts, which looks like it could run you less then 30 bucks.
thomas.tc.young is online now   Reply With Quote