ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #14761
GHO100
Crazy George
 
GHO100's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 1,044
Hooray on that bust! Reminds me of "The Wire" hehe


Do we have any serious mountain climbers in the thread? I have the chance to get to Nepal this fall, and had some questions
__________________
2012 BMW R1200GS
www.TeslaLEDS.com
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #14762
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY
 
RonkoRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Middle of Suburban Hell- Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Hooray on that bust! Reminds me of "The Wire" hehe


Do we have any serious mountain climbers in the thread? I have the chance to get to Nepal this fall, and had some questions
In a thread where people bi*ch about riding into another borough to get their bike inspected, you expect to find someone who has been to Nepal? Really?
__________________
Rob VB
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less traveled by, And now where the fuck am I?
Do one thing every day that scares you. Baz Luhrmann
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #14763
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,611
It's great that they busted up this ring, but you wonder how many people had their bike shipped overseas in 17 months, never to be seen again?

If the grandmother was a spotter for the gang, why wasn't she charged? That's age discrimination!

They mentioned one guy still lived with his mother, that had to hurt.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #14764
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Alright, friends... Steve (vfr870) has stupidly bravely thrown open his doors, and offered to host!

Date: Sunday, Aug 5
Start time: 2 PM
Where: 352 Beach Ave., Bronx, NY 10473


What he says:
"OK, do it. I'll provide some basic starter food & beverages, attendees can handle the rest.
All the bikes can park off street on my lawn. No smoking on the property."
I'm in for beer, some meat, and maybe a veggie dish.
Unfortunately, I'm in Sweden right now and won't be back in time. Have a great time!
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #14765
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer
 
robfilms's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: riverdale, ny
Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
In a thread where people bi*ch about riding into another borough to get their bike inspected, you expect to find someone who has been to Nepal? Really?
that is funny!

thanks for the chuckle.

be well

rob

robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #14766
Monsignore
Plunger Boy
 
Monsignore's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Astoria, Queens
Oddometer: 901
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by existent80 View Post
33 Arrests

Officials: Motorcycle theft ring busted

Originally published: July 26, 2012 1:16 PM
Updated: July 26, 2012 1:27 PM
By MARIA ALVAREZ. Special to Newsday


A brazen band of thieves who stole motorcycles off New York City streets and engaged in the illegal sale of guns and stolen cars was broken up Thursday with the arrest of 33 people, officials said.
Some of the defendants knew they were under investigation and had engaged in counter-surveillance, taking pictures of vehicles they thought were being used by undercover officers, Police Commissioner... [link if you have Newsday.com access]


[Newsday's notorious paywall cuts it off... read full article here:
Nice!!
__________________
Ewig war ich.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #14767
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap
 
rutard's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: The Ether East of the Hudson
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by existent80 View Post
33 Arrests

Officials: Motorcycle theft ring busted...]
If only they caught them like this:


Link: HERE (Skip to 0:52 for the ending)
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #14768
Looksgoodinblack
Beastly Adventurer
 
Looksgoodinblack's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Putnam, NY
Oddometer: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
Sorry Pete, I didnt check the events calandar. Ah, you been to one BBQ, you been to 'em all. Cooked dead animals, beer, and bullshitting with a crowd.
That's OK but I never been to one in Bronx
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_O
I called in with temporary blindness once. I just couldn't see my ass going to work.
'04 DL 650, '87 BMW K75 with Hannigan Astro Sports car, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #14769
macutan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
if only they caught them like this:


link: here (skip to 0:52 for the ending)
awesome!!
__________________
(MISSING and recently FOUND) - 08 KTM 690 Duke
macutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #14770
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Chickenstrip's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 444
Road Recommendation Pls

Hi guys,

I'm looking for fun roads to ride up north of Brooklyn that aren't, say, more than an hour away. And by north of Brooklyn I'm talking about east of the Taconic. I've been spending a lot of time up in the Catskills area, but I'd like to find roads that are closer. I think I've heard mention of 22 (the 22 corridor?) but I know little about that area (I'm relatively new to these parts). I took a look on motorcycleroads.com, but that area has no suggested roads - maybe it's all residential?

Anyway, I'd appreciate your suggestions for roads are up north a bit.


Cheers!
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #14771
bluesurf
en dos ruedas
 
bluesurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Taxville
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
We've got them covered... they're planning on hitting the Ear tonight, hope to see y'all there.

d
Rachael & I wanted to say a very large Thank You to David & his lovely wife for hosting us. We spent two evenings with them, including one that we all contributed toward a great dinner, and enjoyed every single minute. They have great insight about the city (Alleva rice balls, for one), and treated us as family. We really can't say enough, and hope to return the favor someday from the West Coast (San Jose, CA).

James (bluesurf) & Rachael (riverwolff)
__________________
Ride Travel Explore Live
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #14772
kenny61
Crazy Idiot
 
kenny61's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Romaniacs 2019
Oddometer: 24,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking for fun roads to ride up north of Brooklyn that aren't, say, more than an hour away. And by north of Brooklyn I'm talking about east of the Taconic. I've been spending a lot of time up in the Catskills area, but I'd like to find roads that are closer. I think I've heard mention of 22 (the 22 corridor?) but I know little about that area (I'm relatively new to these parts). I took a look on motorcycleroads.com, but that area has no suggested roads - maybe it's all residential?

Anyway, I'd appreciate your suggestions for roads are up north a bit.


Cheers!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628256



read page 2
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=628256&page=2
__________________
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #14773
Jiro
Watch Out for Squirrel!
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Road Rage Jersey
Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by existent80 View Post
33 Arrests

Officials: Motorcycle theft ring busted

Originally published: July 26, 2012 1:16 PM
Updated: July 26, 2012 1:27 PM
By MARIA ALVAREZ. Special to Newsday


A brazen band of thieves who stole motorcycles off New York City streets and engaged in the illegal sale of guns and stolen cars was broken up Thursday with the arrest of 33 people, officials said.
Some of the defendants knew they were under investigation and had engaged in counter-surveillance, taking pictures of vehicles they thought were being used by undercover officers, Police Commissioner... [link if you have Newsday.com access]


[Newsday's notorious paywall cuts it off... read full article here:
I hope this is not a part of NYPD's "Fast and Furious" operation....
__________________
2003 F650GS
Ride Safe and Fast!
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #14774
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Chickenstrip's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 444

Wow, that's cool - thanks for the link, kenny!
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #14775
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,611
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking for fun roads to ride up north of Brooklyn that aren't, say, more than an hour away. And by north of Brooklyn I'm talking about east of the Taconic. I've been spending a lot of time up in the Catskills area, but I'd like to find roads that are closer. I think I've heard mention of 22 (the 22 corridor?) but I know little about that area (I'm relatively new to these parts). I took a look on motorcycleroads.com, but that area has no suggested roads - maybe it's all residential?

Anyway, I'd appreciate your suggestions for roads are up north a bit.


Cheers!
If you're on any of these roads in Westchester, you're on a nice road:
Rt. 22 north of Armonk, 172, 121, 116, 124, and any roads off of those roads.

If you're on a DS and you see a dirt road, just take it.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014