ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #14836
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
It was great to meet some fellow commuters today. Steve, thanks again.

Cool BBQ guys. Had work
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #14837
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
Wow, nice place VFR. That's in the Bronx too? Wow!

Wish I could have made it to finally meet some of you folks. Hopefully next time.

Btw, did any scooters make the journey?

Thanks.

The weather cooperated, although a bit sticky out. Thanks to everyone who stopped by, it was great to see everyone. It's pouring rain right now, I hope everyone is home safe.

No scooters, but about 10 bikes made it.
Lil' Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #14838
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
The weather cooperated, although a bit sticky out. Thanks to everyone who stopped by, it was great to see everyone. It's pouring rain right now, I hope everyone is home safe.
Thank you Steve for a great BBQ day.

FYI as I'm heading up to the Bruckner I'm watching the clouds rolling in looking like the derecho from the other night, and speeding up! Crap. Then I see lightning strike Riker's Island from the Whitestone Bridge. More lightning hitting somewhere near College Point as I pass Shea. I start praying to hit all the green lights when I get off the highway and my lane sharing gets more aggressive. I roll up my street under a canopy of boiling black clouds. Made it just in time - rain soaked streets by the time the elevator brought me upstairs. I'd be soaked if not for the time it takes for the rain to drop from the sky. Not a drop on me though!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #14839
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,809
My wife and I are enjoying some Adult Chocolate Milk. Thanks Dave & Francine.
Lil' Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #14840
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
My wife and I are enjoying some Adult Chocolate Milk. Thanks Dave & Francine.
Thank you guys for hosting a wonderful Sunday afternoon bbq. It was great seeing everyone and catching up. Glad to hear you beat the rain home Brad. I hope Christina did the same.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #14841
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,583
Pissed Run in with road rage

In my normal fashion home I was stopped at the light on 51st about to turn right onto 11th ave. I pull up to the right of a Rav4 with no turn signals. Light turns green, I turn and am now in the right lane. He tries to rush in front of me by cutting me off but stops short. I shake my head as I pass to come to a stop at 52nd and 11th. He pulls to the right of me now and starts yelling with his wife in the car how I'm a crazy rider who has no respect, yada yada yada. He is inching closer at an angle because I can tell he is going to parallel park. He then taps my bike right next to my leg with his bumper. I pull over, his wife gets out like nothing happens and walks away. A traffic cop is walking by and I explain the situation. While explaining the guy pulls out and goes around the corner and stops. He gets out and as I'm explaining what's going on to the traffic "cop" the irrate man wags a finger at me and says "this man is a fucking psychotic". I walk after him and say I'm calling the police and he keeps yelling. As I'm talking to dispatch his wife gets back in with their child from school. I only had time to tell dispatch the licensee plate as he drove off. As my memory is for shit I promptly forgot it. When I turn around the meter maid is driving off

Dispatch said someone is on the way. While waiting a minute I explain to a bmw owner who parks his bike infront of his store where the scene occured. He said no one is coming to check on you, no one was hurt and no damage done. He commiserated with a similar story and after calming down from rage I finally got on the bike to get home.

People are fucking crazy these days so I didn't want to raise his anger any more, it's not worthing getting shot and I know what some road ragers can do. So, would 911 keep a record and will they give me the plate number so I can have some fun with him if I call back? I'll probably cool down soon but can I legally get back at him?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #14842
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
In my normal fashion home I was stopped at the light on 51st about to turn right onto 11th ave. I pull up to the right of a Rav4 with no turn signals. Light turns green, I turn and am now in the right lane. He tries to rush in front of me by cutting me off but stops short. I shake my head as I pass to come to a stop at 52nd and 11th. He pulls to the right of me now and starts yelling with his wife in the car how I'm a crazy rider who has no respect, yada yada yada. He is inching closer at an angle because I can tell he is going to parallel park. He then taps my bike right next to my leg with his bumper. I pull over, his wife gets out like nothing happens and walks away. A traffic cop is walking by and I explain the situation. While explaining the guy pulls out and goes around the corner and stops. He gets out and as I'm explaining what's going on to the traffic "cop" the irrate man wags a finger at me and says "this man is a fucking psychotic". I walk after him and say I'm calling the police and he keeps yelling. As I'm talking to dispatch his wife gets back in with their child from school. I only had time to tell dispatch the licensee plate as he drove off. As my memory is for shit I promptly forgot it. When I turn around the meter maid is driving off

Dispatch said someone is on the way. While waiting a minute I explain to a bmw owner who parks his bike infront of his store where the scene occured. He said no one is coming to check on you, no one was hurt and no damage done. He commiserated with a similar story and after calming down from rage I finally got on the bike to get home.

People are fucking crazy these days so I didn't want to raise his anger any more, it's not worthing getting shot and I know what some road ragers can do. So, would 911 keep a record and will they give me the plate number so I can have some fun with him if I call back? I'll probably cool down soon but can I legally get back at him?
glad your safe. I advocate getting a gopro for this exact reason if you commute by scoot regularly as this is just bound to happen. But without video evidence if anything happened you wouldn't have any proof or could even get a plate if the other vehicle ran away. it also acts as a deterrent.

Ride safe fuys
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #14843
psychopompos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:

Interesting, I was entertained by another occurrence in my mirror around the same area today - a cop pulled over next to a CRV (Honda in the left lane, cop in the right), opened his door, opened an reclosed the door of the CRV and got back in his car - I imagine the door was ajar.

Now, there's a question for you NYC commuters. Do you think that this is proper parking?

I openly admit that I'm new to commuting in the city, and motorcycling in general, but if you've ever seen a G650GS you'll know that it leans quite far on its kickstand and I was scraping the Suzuki's clutch lever and pegs long before my bike was upright. Was this guy an ass for parking so close to me, or am I crybaby for posting this here? What's not pictured of course is the Vespa on my left, which made this a little bit more difficult. Any tips on getting out of situations like this?
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #14844
hitmanlol
Cotor Myclist

Oddometer: 902
Regarding road rage:
Don't get involved. Just ignore and put your pride away. I promise it will yield the best result.

Regarding the parking pic:
Sort of close but whatever, you can get out.

hitmanlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #14845
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Interesting, I was entertained by another occurrence in my mirror around the same area today - a cop pulled over next to a CRV (Honda in the left lane, cop in the right), opened his door, opened an reclosed the door of the CRV and got back in his car - I imagine the door was ajar.

Now, there's a question for you NYC commuters. Do you think that this is proper parking?

I openly admit that I'm new to commuting in the city, and motorcycling in general, but if you've ever seen a G650GS you'll know that it leans quite far on its kickstand and I was scraping the Suzuki's clutch lever and pegs long before my bike was upright. Was this guy an ass for parking so close to me, or am I crybaby for posting this here? What's not pictured of course is the Vespa on my left, which made this a little bit more difficult. Any tips on getting out of situations like this?
Yea, def too close. I would have pushed the bike up on the sidewalk.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #14846
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post

I would have just lifted/dragged the SV out of the way, as needed. Sometimes there isn't much room to park, so I understand squeezing in.

What I don't get is people jamming their bikes between two cars with no room to spare. Surely, they must expect to be used as a bumper when the cars pull out.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #14847
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,583
Yeah, avoidance seems like the best solution. And I was looking for a reason to get a go pro
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #14848
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
People are fucking crazy these days

This.

The guy was probably already in a fight with his wife. You were just a bystander.

Some OTHER people... I'm not saying who.. Might have vandalized the car. Not me of course. Other people. What do you tell a Rav4 with two broken turn signals? Nothing. You already told it twice.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 AM   #14849
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Yeah, avoidance seems like the best solution. And I was looking for a reason to get a go pro
iPhone works just fine, too.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #14850
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Tight motorbike parking is the norm in London. I have had to move several bikes to free up mine on many occasions. It's just the norm there.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote