User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Vance OP
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
XR650R best tools to carry?

Can anyone point me to a thread that I know must exist...

I'm just looking for the perfect mix of tools to carry for the XR650R. I just bought an 01 (have not picked it up yet) and I'm so lame that I can't even find what size the axle nuts are on the thing on line...

Anyone put a good kit together?

Thanks,

Vance
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,544
Visa or Mastercard...

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
D_F
Meat servo

Oddometer: 143
27 and 17 for the axles, my tool kit seems to be in a constant state of flux for most stuff. Enjoy the pig.
D_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Vance OP
Banned

Thank you D_F

F_U Steverino.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Visa or Mastercard...

And don't forget the advrider phone book.

Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: DeAGMxYPTdjUA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
Thank you D_F

F_U Steverino.
Some people cannot be helped. I oughta come on down there and snatch a knot in your bucket head...

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,889
Thumb Moose screwdriver

One tool that is good for any bike is a Moose screwdriver with interchangeable blades. The sockets for the blades are also metric nut drivers that fit most of the small screws.
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
pilate74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I carry a adjustable wrench, metric hex set, screwdrivers, bicycle pump, small vise grips, tire irons and few sockets. I also carry zip ties, sunscreen, first aid kit, spark plug, jb-weld, and small flask of whiskey. I bougt a small tool bag at the hardware store to store all this stuff. I made some aluminum fender supports and I bolted the bag to the rear fender. Also it is a good idea to keep a ball cap between the number plate and the forks.
pilate74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,329
Vance --- Are you dual sportin' it or just dirt riding?

For those long mexico trips, I carry:

1/4" drive SnapOn set with a wobble adaptor and swivel head, 30mm hex wrench (steering head), adjustable for the axles, allens, bicycle pump, razor blade, zip ties, small thingy of shampoo from a motel, tube, aluminum tire irons, a bic lighter, and a lot of mojo (keeps bad stuff from happening )

Add a spare shirt, set of socks and riding shorts, and you're golden for weeks on end.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
drex
So Cal

Oddometer: 115
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
Can anyone point me to a thread that I know must exist...

I'm just looking for the perfect mix of tools to carry for the XR650R. I just bought an 01 (have not picked it up yet) and I'm so lame that I can't even find what size the axle nuts are on the thing on line...

Anyone put a good kit together?

Thanks,

Vance
I just put one together for a Baja trip, and I think I can remember most of the items.

Tire stuff -- go to rockymountainmc.com and look for the MSR axle wrench that is specific for the 650R -- front on one end, rear on the other. Less than $20. I also got the Tusk (house brand) tire irons from rocky mountain -- $4.00 each or there abouts. I didn't buy the C02 inflation kit since a buddy had one. Spare front size tube which can be used in the rear, though I've never tried it.

Wrenches -- I always pack a 6(?), 8, 10, 12, and 13 mm open end / box end wrench. I stack them together and wrap them with the blue 3M painters tape that sticks but not too well.

Sockets -- I also have the Tusk mini T-handle socket set --- about $5. I think the metal will be a little soft, but I figure they are 1 time use sockets anyway. I think there are 8, 10, 12, and 13 mm sockets.

Allan -- I've replaced a few hex bolts with Allen bolts so I carry a 5mm and a 6mm.

Pliers -- a bit of overkill here, I carry a needle nose set and a small set of conventional pliers. Often used!

Safety wire -- about six feet of galvanized wire stored in a small zip lock bag. Basically generic grip wire. Various uses.

Spark -- extra plug in a plastic plug can, and a plug wrench.

QwickSteel -- about $5 at any auto parts story, next to the JB Weld. Looks like a tootsie roll. Knead it for a few minutes and and use it to patch holes in a tank, cracked case, etc. I wrap the tube in sandpaper so I can sand the damaged surfaces before using.

Zip ties -- about 15 of these in various sizes. My most often used tool bag item!

Screwdriver -- Sears Craftsman with 4 interchangeable blades -- 2 sizes flat, 2 sizes phillips. $10. Magnetic blades. Without the blade, the screwdriver shaft is a basically a 1/4 socket that comes in handy if you need to mess with carb jets.

Leatherman -- cheap knock off -- need the blade most of all from this tool, but it also has a very small flashlight built in.

Flashlight -- mini-mag type.

Lube -- a little can of WD40 for tire bead lube, chain lube, etc.

That sounds like a ton of stuff.

The tube, axle wrench, and tire irons slide right into my front fender bag.

The rest of the stuff fits easily into my rear fender bag.

Got both bags from Dirt Bike Gear --
http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/index.html

Couple of gaps that I see -- I don't carry anything chain stuff -- master link, etc. Once I carried spare bulbs, but I've always thought they break bouncing around in the bag. Electrical tape.

Dan 2000 XR650R / So. Cal
Old 03-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
OcoWells
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Gaspipe had my setup pretty much dead on, save a few differences. Companion (Sears generic brand, sold next to Craftsman) makes extensions in the typical sizes that are wobble normally or lock the socket straight if pushed on more (incredibly useful). One of those teardrop-shaped screwdriver assemblies with the bits in the handle (Moose makes 'em) for when your shrouds fall off. Small bottle of blue locktite. Small film canister of moly grease for tire changes. One of those razorblade knife hybrid things with extra blades. And an LED flashlight (Inova w/ 5 LED's in head) for emergencies. With careful planning, a piece of PVC can carry all of this against the front of a metal skidplate with a few metal straps.

Edit: Oh yeah; It may cost bling ($100 or so), but leatherman makes a great tool that folds out into needlenose pliers. Worth every penny.
OcoWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #12
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
A sat phone and some other shite. Because some times shite happens.

Max Power screwed with this post 03-16-2006 at 08:26 PM
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
CFAmD7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Thanks Max pictures are worth...

at least a paragraph or two.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #14
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Just a few ideas. Sorry, my tools aren't clean, new and shiny. The kits shown
are custom tailored for a particular bike. I build a tool kit for each bike. I believe the kit shown is a street bike version, so no pump shown.
Not pictured is Instant Aluminum, which is a must.

Django Loco screwed with this post 03-16-2006 at 08:58 PM Reason: fix photo
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:06 AM   #15
Vance OP
Banned

Most excellent! Thank you so much. This is what I wanted to see...

I'm pretty close, but added a few things thanks to you folks.

Gaspipe, here is the bike. She'll be a daily rider. I'm picking her up in Los Angeles, riding down to Baja for the Striking Viking party in TJ on the 1rst of April and then across country in the dirt as much as possibly to Georgia. Hope to see some of you there or along the way!