Oddometer: 170
100,000 ft and a Bottle of Tequila

Well actually 3 bottles. Here is the first one
dantroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was interested in going on a long ride. Some good friends were heading to Sturgis. Unfortunately, I couldn't get away till a week after they left. So I started to hatch a plan. I thumbed through the Where and When section of an ON magazine and looked for a destination (excuse) to ride to and possibly meet up with TJ and WR on their way back. AHH the Colorado Beemers 100,000 ft ride. Sounds like a good time. I call another good friend up (Gregarious) to see if he's interested. He's in. We start making plans over the phone, and get together to finalize some logistics. The first part of the trip is planned as far as lodging anyway. This dictates our travel each day till we arrive in Lakewood Co. on the 3rd of August. After the 100,000 ft ride everything is off the cuff. Not sure where we'll go or when we'll get back.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Preparation

I was anticipating hot weather and wanted to camp here and there. Nothing heavy, didn't even bring something to boil

water. Purchased a Kula XD vest, an Alps Mountaineering Chaos 3 tent.I already had a sleeping bag and the Luxury Lite

mesh cot. The Chaos 3 tent is very quick to set up.

Here is Day 1. About 475 miles.

View Larger Map

The plan was to meet Gregarious in Oakdale at 7:15 am, gassed and ready to go. I woke up a bit late, ate this: PIC?

Chicken Mole, Spanish rice and coffee.and was off.

Made it to Oakdale a little after 7 gassed up and met Gregarious at 7:10! We're awesome.

dantroop screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 11:28 PM Reason: couldnt attach 2nd photo.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On the road

Leaving San Jose it was still dark and cool. About 58 degrees. Perfect. Ambling along highway 680, the bay was shrouded in greyness. To the east the sky had a steel blue look to it. Not a shinny steel blue, more like a sheet of 10 gauge cold rolled steel. As I turned onto highway 580 the sun was threatening to rise. All the way up to the top of Altamont Pass the eastern sky now looked like God had a cutting torch and was bringing the sky up to ignition temperature, a soft orange glow.

It took 2-3 minutes for the sun to fully crest the horizon. Now instead of a soft orange glow of a cutting torch , I'm starring straight into a penetrating plasma arc! The sun was too low for the electrical tape I placed along the bottom of my face shield to be effective. It was like when you go to the optometrist and he has you look into a corner and blasts you with some kind of nuclear penlight. I swear he's looking straight through to the back of my skull!

How long is this going to last? My eyes are watering, I'm squinting, trying to minimize the pain. Let's see it took 2-3 minutes for the sun to fully rise, So maybe 5 minutes? Hell no! Say 20-25 miles!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1. Tioga pass to Mono Lake

I had plenty of road to cover so most of the picts are from video I shot along the way. Not sure how they'll look here. Others are from my I-phone 4S.

Gregarious in the lead.

The weather was great so far we managed to beat the heat. Of course being @ 9,000ft helps.

Exiting the east entrance of Yosemite.

Nice little valley with campsites.

First glimpse of Mono Lake.

Time for a fill up and a snack in Lee Vining.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
flyinturbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Subscribed!

flyinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

day 1 final leg

View Larger Map
I just finished day one report and tried to submit it. No go. So I'm going to try again. This time I'll attach fewer picts.
This leg of day one is a bit of a snooze. Don't get me wrong I think the desert is a beautiful place but this day I could have done without it.

US 395 south of Mono Lake.

The Eastern Sierras.

Would sure like to follow that road and see where it goes. Another tempting D/S road. When you are on your road bike do you ask yourself, "wonder where that takes you"?

Entering Bishop.

It's getting HOT. Around 95 degrees here. I pulled over to see if Gregarious wanted to get some lunch. He's says a little farther down the road.

We continue on to Independence and stop at a sandwich shop for lunch. Turns out the local court just adjourned for lunch and the place was packed with prospective jurors. At least it was cool inside.back on the road our cooling vests are charged, we're fed and ready to go. We take CA 136 east out of Lone Pine and head to Beatty NV. Not much excitement along the next stretch of road. Although we just missed a flyover by one of the local Air Force jets.

Did I mention it was HOT? 111, 112, 113, 115! Yes that is what my thermometer read. We stop in Panamint Springs. This is a must stop for me even when it isn't 115! Good cold craft brews and of course we recharge the cooling vests.

If memory serves me, it's bout 10 miles across the valley.

As you can see Gregarious is leading.

There were some Cadillacs doing some testing I think. There were BMWs as well (cars that is).

For some reason I am now leading.

Remember this location.
So I'm motoring along and I cannot see Gregarious in my mirror. Did he pass out from the heat?

Concerned, I pull off to wait a minute to see if Gregarious shows. It's friggin hot.117! The vest seems as though it is taxed out but I'd hate to think what it would feel like without it.

One of the caddys pulls up and tells me "your buddy pulled off the road at the rest stop". Remember the photo? OK so I turn around and soon Gregarious passed me going the other direction! I hate that when it happens.

Stove Pipe Wells. Somewhere along here I notice the temp reads 119!

Getting closer.

at last!

Beautiful downtown Beatty. I'm exhausted! Check into the hotel and crash for about an hour. then it's time to eat. End of day one, about 475 miles.

dantroop screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 07:01 PM Reason: got kicked out when trying to submit full thread last night.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

2nd bottle

Ok, if forgot to show the 2nd bottle. After that trip through Death Valley (I edited the post to add more picts) you could probably use a little pick me up.

Normally I drink for effect. I have to say this is something you want to sip. It's that good. I'm too cheap to buy a flask. The mouthwash bottle is perfect for holding Tequila.. Everyone could use a little mouthwash now and then. Thanks for the bottle Doug.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2

We start day 2 by listening to the weather report. 50% chance of flash flooding, thundershowers etc. etc 50%'s not bad.

The steeds await.

The morning greets us.

Back on the road. US 95. Temp was nice this morning. We donned rain gear once today. After the first thundershower we didn't bother. It was perfect. We'd ride for awhile, ride through a t-shower, cool off and ride through the next one. I actually looked forward to riding through them, especially after yesterday's heat.
We pulled off north of Vegas (at the race track). Gregarious' neck was really bothering him. I thought he might have to scuttle the trip. He picked up a topical analgesic and kept rolling. the guy is tough as nails.

I shot video going through the canyon between Mesquite NV and St. Geo UT but the file got corrupted.

St. Geo in the distance.

Just past St. George.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 continued

The plan was to take Utah 14 to 148 through Cedar Breaks to 143 to Panguich then to 12 (through Red Canyon) to Bryce. We started down 14, it looked like it was going to be a great ride.

Then the road was closed a few miles ahead.

So we turned around and headed back to I-15 north to Parowan and caught Utah 143.

The road started to get more exciting and scenic.

Through Brian Head.

Another tempting dirt road. I think that goes to the summit in the distance.

Cedar Breaks.

The ground was very soft here. Of course I forgot to bring my aluminum plate. I borrowed a can from a tourist just before she deposited it into the recycle bin rode back and took this shot.

Checking the map.

Awe inspiring.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #11
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 842
Good stuff and the frames from your video are quite clear! What camera are you using? Keep it coming!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post
Good stuff and the frames from your video are quite clear! What camera are you using? Keep it coming!
Thanks. I'm using a contour+ . It's got a gps function and it's easy to turn on/off. I'm not sure I'd spend the extra bucks to get the gps function if I were to buy again. Some shots were taken with my I-phone 4s also.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More of day 2

This section of UT 143 is fantastic. There have been so many on this trip. The rain was light and intermittent. Put the camera away to keep it dry.Sorry no picts. If you haven't been on this road take it you wont be disappointed. Aspen roves, large meadows, a lake, and streams. Wish I had more time and had brought fishing gear. There were some tar snakes on this stretch. They were striking at the rubber trying to intimidate the bike. The first one catches your attention after that no biggie. Wonder if they're more slippery when wet or when it's hot? I'm thinking hot. Most likely a toss up.

Tent is set up. It's early so we decide to take in Bryce Canyon today instead of tomorrow.

Geology lesson?

Ok, so now you know how the area was formed. Any questions? More Picts? Ok

Hoodoos.

It started to rain and the wind picked up. Got a little chilly. Everyone ran to get out of the rain.

One last shot

We are now soaked again, it's cold and starting to get dark. Since we're wet already, a dash to the hot tub sounds like the ticket. That's it for day 2.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Bluebone
straight to hell

Oddometer: 2,380
in

ok, i'll ride along!

Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
dantroop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 begins

So here is the planned route for day 3. Oh, if anyone is interested, day 2 was about 345 miles.