User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,990
Quick release (Dzus fitting) seat for KTM 640

Has anyone seem a KTM 640 Adventure seat that uses a Dzus quick connector to hold down the rear of the KTM 640 Adventures seat, as opposed to the traditional bolt that is accessed from below the rear tire well. I saw one of these style seats on two Adventures at the KTM North American service head quarters in Amherst Ohio, and thought it was the trickest way to connect the seat to the bike. The zeus fitting attached through the top area of the pad on the rear of the seat. Unfortunately know one was there to ask where the seat came from. I expect that it was from Europe. There is an area under my 2002 640 that has a squared mounting point formed into the plastic of the under-fender that would accept the female zeus mounting plate. I really would like to set my bike up with this style of mounting hardware.

Any ideas?

It is not the destination, it's the journey.

KTM640Dakar screwed with this post 03-24-2006 at 01:06 PM
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
I don't know about the Adventure, but my 625 SMC came with this style of seat, but it only fit's the 9L tank. I don't know if this helps or not.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
ISDT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
the Dzus fastner should fit into the existing hole and mount if you get the right size
http://www.southco.com/landingpages/dzus/

ISDT screwed with this post 03-19-2006 at 08:21 PM
ISDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,031
Dzeus or sumthin like that

If you know anyone with a Husky,, see how their setup is, you can get the fittings at almost any automotive race shop, then have an ulpholsterer modify your seat to accept it
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
If you know anyone with a Husky,, see how their setup is, you can get the fittings at almost any automotive race shop, then have an ulpholsterer modify your seat to accept it
Unfortunately it's not that easy,, you will have to modify the seat, seat base and the mounting attachment.

On another note the late LC4 Enduro and SXC came with a zuess fastner system but the crown design on the top of the seat is designed to fit just those bikes. Also the early Adventure and of course the 660 bikes came with zuess fittings, all these fasteners are obtainable through KTM.

I've thought about boring a hole on the 640 seats but it places the bore hole 1/3 of the way into the seat, not good.
The "Dzus" website recommended above may have something that will avoid using the classic 8mm bolt. My suggestion would be to find a 8mm bolt with a butterfly thumb screw.

Hope this helps..
Old 03-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
Unfortunately it's not that easy,, you will have to modify the seat, seat base and the mounting attachment.

On another note the late LC4 Enduro and SXC came with a zuess fastner system but the crown design on the top of the seat is designed to fit just those bikes. Also the early Adventure and of course the 660 bikes came with zuess fittings, all these fasteners are obtainable through KTM.

I've thought about boring a hole on the 640 seats but it places the bore hole 1/3 of the way into the seat, not good.
The "Dzus" website recommended above may have something that will avoid using the classic 8mm bolt. My suggestion would be to find a 8mm bolt with a butterfly thumb screw.

Hope this helps..
...or have the 'ears' welded onto the stock bolt...

Its not like the seat needs to be torqued down!

M
Old 03-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,031
Laugh Dzus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles

Hope this helps..
Yeah thats usually my problem,, things usually look easier than they are then offcourse I gotta finish the job & a job that looked like it'll take a week lats 6 months ,, anyway I tried, word to the wise, listen to those that know I'm learnin sumthin new almost every day
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
Yeah thats usually my problem,, things usually look easier than they are then offcourse I gotta finish the job & a job that looked like it'll take a week lats 6 months ,,
your not alone
Old 03-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
I just epoxied a 6mm wing nut and plastic "finger extension" onto a 6mm stud. Works groovy.

C
Old 03-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
I just epoxied a 6mm wing nut and plastic "finger extension" onto a 6mm stud. Works groovy.

C
That is VERY GROOVEY!
Old 03-20-2006, 05:47 PM   #11
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzBike
That is VERY GROOVEY!
Don't get too excited... it's a wing nut and a stud ferchrissakes. The "finger spacer" is whats handy so you can get yer' stubbies onto the whole wingnut.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #12
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Don't get too excited... it's a wing nut and a stud ferchrissakes. The "finger spacer" is whats handy so you can get yer' stubbies onto the whole wingnut.

I had thought of this too but, never got around to it. The plastic "fingers" extension is nice touch. Where did you get that palastic
do-hickey?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #13
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzBike
I had thought of this too but, never got around to it. The plastic "fingers" extension is nice touch. Where did you get that palastic
do-hickey?
It's just a 35 cent 1/4" ID X 7/16" OD X 5/16" long plastic spacer from the hardware store.

Maybe I should by 100 of 'em and resell 'em for a buck a throw?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #14
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
It's just a 35 cent 1/4" ID X 7/16" OD X 5/16" long plastic spacer from the hardware store.

Maybe I should by 100 of 'em and resell 'em for a buck a throw?
There you go thinkin' big again

You keep that up and you're gonna get yerself inta trouble!

ps - I have my tool kit with me and use the T-handle. But if this fuse thingey keeps up I might have to to walk that way...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #15
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,990
Alright, I searched on KTMworld.com and found the hardware for the 2002 KTM 660 rallye bike. The parts are:
Quick release Coupling 58307040551 $24 (the male Dzus fitting)
Thrust bearing Quick release 58307042051 $9 (the female mounting plate that attaches to the rear fender).

Now I need to figure out how to drill and fit my seat to accept the hardware.

Bogangles will you build me a seat that will do this?

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote