Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
coleman1495 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
DT125E Frying Rectifiers

Hello,

I am trying to diagnose an on going issue with a 1978 Yamaha DT125E bike. It continually keeps frying the rectifiers (literally melts them-happened 3 time now). The bike (part number 443-81910-62-00 according to Motogrid.com part diagrams).

Right now there is no rectifier on the bike and it runs like crap. It wants to die when you rev it. Also there is no battery currently on the bike. If I recall correctly the bike used to run well without a rectifier. Its obvious that there is another electrical issue causing the problems. I am not sure where to look at this point. These bikes have seperate rectifiers and regulators Could it be the voltage regulator? Is there a way of testing those to see if they are pooched? Where else should I be looking?

Thanks in advance
coleman1495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:12 AM   #2
redprimo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
The only reason to run a rectifier is to convert the AC output of the stator to DC, and the only reason you would need DC is to charge a battery. Eliminate the battery and you have no need for the rectifier. You will need an AC regulator. As someone wisely told me: custom electrical system = custom problems.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote