Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #46
ratmunch
jackass extraordinaire

Oddometer: 98
I like how different manufacturers do the same things, but a bit differently. I had this same type of system on my Triumph, but it was seemingly less difficult to remove and had a lot less in hosery than on a KTM. I even took the reed valves out and saved all of the stock parts JUST IN CASE, the EPA nazi's come a knockin and had similar blanking plates made. The one thing I didn't see mentioned and maybe different on the KTM is once the SAS or SAI as I am used to calling it is removed did you get a check engine light or error light?? I had to actually have an Australian map loaded into my Triumph that did not recogize the SAI or SAS on my bike or the engine error light would keep going on. Another benefit to removing it is for tuning purposes with a dyno and tuneboy. It is great to see in advance what I will be doing when I get my KTM, thanks for the post and pictures.

RM
ratmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #47
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Old thread here, but it looks like probably my best resource for doing the canister and SAS-ectomy.

Also here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40598

Any other good resources that someone has bookmarked?
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #48
KTMarty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Could not find anything about the hose that goes between the two tanks. Does it stay the same or ?
Attached Images

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)
06 KTM 950 Adventure (Orange)

Fire Road Closure Report

Dual Sport Tire price comarison

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
KTMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #49
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Leave it. It's a TB (0741) by KTM in an effort to avoid over pressurization of one tank forcing liquid fuel into the canister. Won't hurt anything.
It's covered in the HOW

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 01-14-2008 at 08:39 PM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #50
KTMarty
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the fast repy.

Here is what I did to get the front Cylinder SAS off without removing the raditor hoses.

1) Loosen the radiator bolts
2) Took off the oil tank ( Change the oil anyway.)
3) put a tire wrench in between the pipe and oil hose. The hose is on really good and not worth trying to get off. Anyway the hose goes over a long fitting which still would be in the way. By using the tire wrench it gave me just enough clearance to remove the bolt in back.
4) Slowly worked the nut off with an open end wrench.

Pictures tell more then I can write.

SAS removed

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)

Fire Road Closure Report

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
Old 01-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #51
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,462
Another option to get to the front SAS valve

remove the bolts holding the oil tank and the radiator, pry the tank forward; with the tip of the bar on the hose/tube. Get to the bolt with a 6" 1/4 drive extension.

and then this

and then

Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #52
KTMarty
Gnarly Adventurer

Where were these pictures hiding when I needed them?

More tips the better.

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)

Fire Road Closure Report

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
Old 01-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #53
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Here are my $.02, hopefully they can help someone.

Not sure if it's luck or just my striking good looks, but I was able to remove the front SAS plate without loosening anything. I'm guessing maybe everyone who has trouble doesn't have carbs/airbox out. I did as I'm installing the H2W jet kit and dumping the canister at the same time.

I used the longer wrench, which has a pretty good angle on the box end.

No problem getting access and enough throw top side.

The hardest part was getting the bolts started when putting on the blanking plates, but I was able to do it with a bit of patience.

When sealing up the extra airbox hole, I used a bit of this Devcon stuff and a small piece of nylon screen as a substrate.

I roughed up the area around the offending hole with some emery and covered it with a small piece of screen

and schlucked up the top and bottom with the Devcon Plastic weld.

So far so good. Hope to have it all buttoned back up tomorrow.

Hank.SD screwed with this post 01-19-2008 at 06:29 AM
Old 01-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #54
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Here is my version of the tank vent routing.

I can see I need to add a couple straight connectors where the tubing exits the inside plastic to make future disassembly easier.

On the right side I used an existing hole and the existing clip:

Then I routed across the upper subframe, cable tying in the center, also making sure it was all well clear of the forks etc lock to lock. I will add one straight connector here to make disassembly easier.

I put the T just inside the left upper fairing. Again a couple straight connectors will be added.

I drilled three holes in the left side inner plastic:

and routed the left side as so. I put a small fuel filter inside the left fairing. This is where the canister used to sit.

I then ran it down along the left side of the radiator. A straight connector will be added just where it exits the plastic.

Down into the bash plate.

and routed it behind the rectifier as such:

Now we've all seen it before, but it sure is nice to have this mess of sh!t lying on the shop floor rather than all over the bike.

Hank.SD screwed with this post 01-20-2008 at 11:24 AM
Old 03-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #55
tr6
Banned

Oddometer: 184
ummm uhhhh removing my sas and cannister

i've already removed my sas valve and the evap. cannister.
i'm not removing my airbox and carbs.
my bike is an 06 but doesn't have the epc's although i thought 06's did. lucky there i guess.
i don't have a lot left and some of the the things i've seen others had to plug and cap i don't have luckily.
the only lines i have left are these.
(1) 1/4 line coming off the front cylinder head that IS connected to the bottom rear of the airbox
(2) 1/4" line coming off rear cylinder head that WAS connected to the evap. cannister.
(3) 1/4" line coming off oppisite side or rear cylinder head, about 10 inches long.
(4) A T fitting just in front of #2 above.
* It goes to the vent on top of fuel tank by handle bars.
*Underneath the airbox. I'm guessing to the front cylinder head.
*Was connected to the evap. cannister.

I know some lines need to be left at same length not sure which.

tr6 screwed with this post 03-07-2008 at 09:04 PM
tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #56
wreckinshop
super enduro

Oddometer: 54
Its the 2 lines on the right side of the bike need to be left the same length and the 2 on the left side need to be removed and either cap the brass fittings with vacum caps or remove the fittings and replace them with bolts and a brass washer.Some say the vacum caps will dry rot but you have many miles to go before that happens.
wreckinshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #57
tr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckinshop
Its the 2 lines on the right side of the bike need to be left the same length and the 2 on the left side need to be removed and either cap the brass fittings with vacum caps or remove the fittings and replace them with bolts and a brass washer.Some say the vacum caps will dry rot but you have many miles to go before that happens.
stupid question but the right side is the water pump side?
also i found another line. any idea what the silver thing does in this pic, it sits under the airbox right between the carbs. i stole the pic from anothers post. i'm just plugging it off
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #58
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6
i'm just plugging it off
you probably know this but a good way to set it up so you can easily check carb synch later is to clip and cap off the vacume line that comes off the left side of each intake (the ones in the guys hand in picture are the right i think) and then on the opposite side of each intake leave those lines in place and run to the back of the airbox and seal off obviously. The thing in the picture is part of the evap canister system and typically gets tossed and the 2 lines that T into one under the carbs in the airbox are the carb vents and this line gets clipped an inch under the box after exiting where that device was
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #59
tr6
Banned

ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheels
you probably know this but a good way to set it up so you can easily check carb synch later is to clip and cap off the vacume line that comes off the left side of each intake (the ones in the guys hand in picture are the right i think) and then on the opposite side of each intake leave those lines in place and run to the back of the airbox and seal off obviously. The thing in the picture is part of the evap canister system and typically gets tossed and the 2 lines that T into one under the carbs in the airbox are the carb vents and this line gets clipped an inch under the box after exiting where that device was
My silver thing has to stay since i'm not removing the airbox and can't get to it remove it. Hopefully my carb vents still work properly.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #60
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,498
I know, I should let sleeping dogs lie, but...

On the float bowl vents T-ing under the carbs in the airbox. Why is T-ing them ok and why does the TSB say to make them 275 mm/250 mm and run the separate?

Mine is T-ed, and I ran a hose to the skid plate instead of clipping it an inch under the airbox.

Also, the right side vacuum lines are still there but have been plugged for future carb synching.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote