Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #16
Mandarax
internet insultant

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Speed4
I drool every time i see those orange demons, but at 5'8" 30inch inseam they are more than a little intimidating since I am new to off road. How much can you practicaly lower it, since I still have a ~2 inch link from Kouba (for a Duke I didn't catch). Any help would be great, otherwise its a DR or used F.
Don't let the height scare you. My '99 LC4 has been lowered about 3cm after I bought it second hand and it had the lower seat. But due to the uncomfortable seat I switched to the higher one and it's got the same height as before. The lowest point of the seat is 93cm high when the bike is standing on the wheels and without load.

A little detour: the lower seat did not really help me. It is lower, but it is wider. So if you want to touch the ground with (one foot only, for me it is), you have to get your leg around the wider base. To do this properly, my legs had to be 5cm more apart on the upper end. With the higher and more comfortale seat it is much easier for me to stop and put a foot on the ground.

Take the height as a challenge, but as one to get you a positive outcome: Because you can't touch the ground, you are forced to ride better. Oh: I'm 166cm, that's about 5'6"-ish.

The picture shows me waiting to be photographed with one foot flat on the ground (a very rare occasion) and the other one not even be able to touch the foot peg.

And for the alternatives: just for reasons of weight and the different way of applying power I switched to a DR-Z 400 S last year. The LC4 has a great engine and an absolutely reliable chassis, but is a bit harder to control then the DR-Z. The DR-Z has exactly the same height as the LC4.
I would not consider the F 650 (if that is what you mean by F) an real alternative for the LC4 if you want to go offroad.
Attached Images

Mandarax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:14 AM   #17
manoir
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Lc4 Enduro

I traded my LC4 E about 6 months ago for a new 950 Adventure as i could not take the single cylinder bashing anymore because i used it to travel between UK and France a lot.
Apart from that i really miss it for off road trails as i loved the grunt on the dirt tracks around my home.I would not hesitate to say yes buy one its a fantastic bike. I posted a thread here re 625 sxc which has the same engine but a little lighter and yep less plastic which i may buy but after reading thease posts i feel a little twinge towards a LC4 E again!!.
Just cannot decide between the two.
Does the Suzuki 400 have the build quality of the KTM its a lot cheeper.
manoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:09 AM   #18
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,329
Love my 00 as well. Picked it up used in 02 for 3k. Only got 14,000 on the clock and yet crap out on any rides. Very solid bike and always get me home. Not a big fan of all the plastic on the Adv my self just because I use the LC4 more for a dirt bike than a street bike. I know you can do much with the Adv but I worry about busting up stuff too much. You can jump it, bog it, drag race it, hill climb it, I beat the piss out of it and the thing pulls like a tractor. This ones a keeper! Don't think you can go wrong. It was advertised in the cycle trader as "Looking for a KLR check this out, bigges and baddest DS around". Not that got my attention. Good luck.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #19
habanero OP
Multistradler & LC4player

Oddometer: 95
Picked up the 640 Adv this weekend..looks sweet in the bike barn next to the Multistrada. A nice one two punch combination...

habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #20
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,888
SWEET!!!

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #21
spidervedra
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb LC4 Enduro

I have a 99´ Enduro LC4, and is the best machine I have had, here in Chile is very a appreciated bike, because we have different climates from the driest desert, where official KTM riders come to a PRE-DAKAR TRAINING, a way rainy rainforest to the extre below cero degrees down south of the country, and nobody complains, is a very reliable and confortable bike, and the KTM local dealer has won addepts because of the service, and the spare parts stock that never runs out, I extremely recomend KTM LC4 .
spidervedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #22
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Nice bump for a great thread. I'm not confused.... Seriously.

I have had several XR600s/650s, currently have an 05 SMC, an 05 CRF450x and just picked-up a Y2K E with 210 miles on it. AM I STOKED OR WHAT !

I've only ridden it 85 miles and I AM IN LOVE ! I'm not at the point where I want to rid the other mounts, but damn, what a nice bike !

I'm here reading all I can about the bike, the set-up tricks and performance trades/modifications and maintenance tricks.

Sounds to me like you simply get on and ride. Change the oil, and ride s'more ! Look out world !

P.S. I really dug the NZ trip shots.

- RObert
Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #23
HydroDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Thumb

Well after selling my Dualsport 3 years ago and having sellers remorse I picked up a new ride. 1999 640e with 1900mi. It was bone stock without a single scratch on it and came with a new set of Dunlop 606's to put on it, briefcase and service manual for $3000
So for the last month and half I have been rounding up the usual goodies to make it into my longer range adventure bike. So I striped her down to just a motor and frame and put her back together with grease and loctite in all the proper places, checked the valve clearance. I did some Creeper mod's on the carb and wired in a 12v outlet, heated grips and a switch to turn the headlight when it's not needed of if I get a dead battery and have to kick start it.
Then I added a 18 liter tank, Fastway hand guards,fork boots, PMB rear rack, GL tank bag and Coyote rear bag.
Now all I need is spring to get here.
Attached Images

99 KTM 640e
HydroDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #24
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,767
Hydro,

How about a picture of the other side!!

Please please.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #25
HydroDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Here you go Bill.
Attached Images

99 KTM 640e
Old 11-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #26
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,767
That's beautiful.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #27
osbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
640e

I 2nd that, what a beauty!
Old 11-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #28
HydroDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guy's.
It's been hard to modifiy it because it was so pristine. I have been thinking of adding the orange tank shroud graphics like the 11 liter tank had that I took off but spending $93 for the factory ones seams like a lot for no purpose.
Next up will be to put something in the spot where the charcoal canister was at under the number plate. I'm not sure if I want to order stock tool box, do the plastic welding rod holder for storage or ?

Here is a pic of the dash with the 12v outlet and switch for the heated grips and headlight that I added.
Attached Images

99 KTM 640e
Old 11-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #29
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Looks awesome :)
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
hupjoy
n00b

Oddometer: 67
Purchase in progress...

Hey, fellas - I'm a newbie who has fallen in love with the prospect of adventure motorcycling, and have found what looks like the perfect bike for the journey. Just wanted to check in with the pro's out there and see if I'm barking up the right tree without having my pants stolen from me in the process...
It's a 1999 KTM 640E, with just under 3000 original (all off-road) miles on it. The upgrades are:
new 18L tank,
new Acerbis fender and bark busters
New(ish) FMF spark arrestor/supertrapp pipe and header
alum. skidplate
newer Pirelli off road tires
HID Acerbis "diamond" headlight
newer brake pads,
newer sprocket and cog ( geared taller for off-road)
rear disc protector
and other small stuff.
The bad -
it sat for a year. The owner had no time to ride, he says, and so the carb is gummy and it wouldn't start when I looked at it. Eventually it fired up, sounded great for a few, and then sputtered and died once the choke was let out.
I loved it. I dropped a deposit and am meeting him at his mechanic's place in the morning to clean the carb, tune up and finalize the deal. I am paying him $2400 for the bike and also paying for the carb clean and tune up...
Should he split this with me?
Am I being ripped off?
Is this bike worth it?
KBB says in good condition the retail price for this is 2460, with no upgrades. I figure with the new stuff, low miles and reputation of this bike, I am doing okay if I end up spending 2600 after the tune up and carb clean...any thoughts you guys/gals could share on this thread would help me a ton. Thanks!
hupjoy is offline   Reply With Quote