ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Anciano OP
Bushpilot

Oddometer: 239
Question Hatfield McCoy Tracks

I am going to trailer my bike from California to Hancock, NY to spectate at the World Enduro Round. I am going to stop and ride at several places along the way. I would like to ride some of the Hatfield McCoy trails. I will be riding by myself on a DR650. First, which trails? Second, can I get GPS tracks or routes for those trails?

Thanks for your help,

Wayne
Anciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
jorge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
want more info...

hey Winn, i am not too far from Hancock... what races are you refering to? I thought the trails you are talking about are in Southern West Virginia? Hatfield/McCoy's
Jorge.
DRZ 400S '02
XR 650 L '97
--------------------
Often wrong, never in doubt...Learn from your mistakes
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Anciano OP
Bushpilot

Oddometer: 239
Jorge:

There is a World Enduro round in Hancock July 22 & 23. There is another round the weekend before in Ontario. http://www.abc-wec.org/wec_online/index/index.htm The trails I was asking about are in WV. I am visiting friends in Mobile, AL and then driving north to WV and then on to NY.

Wayne

Anciano screwed with this post 03-27-2006 at 01:36 PM Reason: Add link
Anciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #4
Pharwaylok
Sing me Spanish Techno...

Oddometer: 243
Wink Hatfield-McCoy Trails

The Little Coal River Trail might be your best place to start. It's got access not far from four-lane.

Don't have any GPS numbers with me, here's the website.
http://www.trailsheaven.com/trailsta...20Fork%20Trail

Cheers!
Pharwaylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Pharwaylok
Sing me Spanish Techno...

Oddometer: 243
Cool2 Hatfield/McCoy trailheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharwaylok
The Little Coal River Trail might be your best place to start. It's got access not far from four-lane.

Don't have any GPS numbers with me, here's the website.
http://www.trailsheaven.com/trailsta...20Fork%20Trail

Cheers!
Here are the trailheads locations; (UTMs will get you close enough)
Browning Fork Trail 37*43'37"N 81*52' 52" W (UTM 17SMB 22354 75885)

Buffalo Mountain 3742' 0"N 8212' 40"W (UTM 17SLB 93234 73220)
Dingess Rum Trail 3752'0"N 8156'20"W (UTM 17SMB 17853 91185)
Little Coal River Trail 3811'17"N 8150'42"W (UTM 17SMB 17953 91185)
Pinnacle Creek Trail 3733'14"N 8130'44"W (UTM 17SMB 55150 56564)
Cheers!

Pharwaylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
avnesq
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Great area to ride, but keep in mind that a lot of the trails are in the mountains, and they can be steep and rocky. Even some of the Green marked trails can be challenging, particularly on a 650. Pinnacle Creek is the easiest of the trail areas, so I would start there. You might post on the trail system's message board to see if you can find someone to ride with.
avnesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
DirtnStreet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Hatfield McCoy is a blast

I've been several times, and would second the advice to not ride there alone. Over 500 miles of trails on the different trail heads, and if you are game and not scared of heights, some of the most extreme trails (marked as black and orange trails) you will find anywhere. If they marked it difficult, they aren't kidding. I had a friend take a little get off there last summer, riding last in line, missed a turn and dropped a loooong way down, and it took us over an hour to find him. Long story short, rescue helicopter and over a month in a W Va hospital before he could be transported home. This guy was a very experienced rider who just made an error. If he was alone I'm sure he would still be there. Didn't mean to be the voice of doom but this place is tough where they say it is. Take the easier trails if you can't hook up with some folks to ride with. The trails heaven web site mentioned above is good and the folks that run the trails are very helpful and can give you lots of info also. Our favorite trail system at Hatfield McCoy is Browning Fork and the trailhead is known as Rockhouse. There are over 100 miles of trails on this system from mild to wild single track. Have fun, the trails are great and the place is very pretty. I said all that, and have never taken my GPS there, sorry.
DirtnStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:52 AM   #8
AlanD
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I rode some Hatfield and Mcoy 3 years ago. One of the best places I have ever riden. I agree 100%, do not ride alone.
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
saxman
Lurch

Oddometer: 13
I've been going to Hatfield now for almost 6 years on average of 8 times per. It is an absolute blast. There are around 20 of us that go for various rides, including poker runs and the Hatfield/ McCoy festival. Every time we go, we take different trail systems and trails within those systems. There are two groups within our group. The "fast group", which are those of us that like to push our limits, and the "sightseeing group", which are the mor responsible of the bunch. Of those years we have ridden, there have been a few incidences where someone has gotten hurt, some fairly bad, myself included. The switchbacks, hillclimbs and highwalls can be very hairy. Riding alone down there is not recommended, and the trails are not one way, so you always have to watch for those "immortal" riders coming around blind turns.
It really is a great place to ride, something for everyone. But, like DitnStreet said, if they are marked difficult, don't take that lightly. Even some of the easy trails do have places to challenge most people. There are places on the blue trails to really open up here and there. Plenty of camping, B&B's and small hotels to make more than a day out of it.
Pinnacle Creek would be a good start avnesq.
Hope this helps some.
Good luck!
Saxman
saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:30 AM   #10
fasteddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinman22
I am going to trailer my bike from California to Hancock, NY to spectate at the World Enduro Round. I am going to stop and ride at several places along the way. I would like to ride some of the Hatfield McCoy trails. I will be riding by myself on a DR650. First, which trails? Second, can I get GPS tracks or routes for those trails?

Thanks for your help,

Wayne
Wayne, here are some routes that will get you around a couple of the areas. Make sure you get the maps provided at the trail heads and don't get yourself in over your head. Some of these trails are not for the faint of heart. Enjoy :)
Attached Files
File Type: gpx WV Files.gpx (72.6 KB, 217 views)
2003 KTM 250/350 RFS EXC
2006 KTM 640 Adventure

2008 HUSABERG 550 FE
2008 Paris to Dacre, TEAM ORANGE KRUSH

5 KTM's and 1 Honda Circumnavigate Ontario's Algonquin Park

4 KTM's and 1 Honda Go North, to Abitibi Canyon & Beyond

3 KTM's, A Honda, A Husaberg, and a Jam Tart

4 Ktm's and a Honda go "NORD"
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:07 AM   #11
fasteddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy
Wayne, here are some routes that will get you around a couple of the areas. Make sure you get the maps provided at the trail heads and don't get yourself in over your head. Some of these trails are not for the faint of heart. Enjoy :)
Heres a Google Earth shot with a Hatfield and McCoy Map overlayed with tracks from our days ride. Great Area to ride in!!
Attached Images

2003 KTM 250/350 RFS EXC
2006 KTM 640 Adventure

2008 HUSABERG 550 FE

Old 06-28-2006, 02:43 AM   #12
SSB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Sorry, no GPS waypoints here. I'm not really sure why. I know I had my GPS with me. I must of been having to much fun to think about it.

Post whoring and shameless self promotion:
Ride Report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109092

Watch the videos then you can decided if you want to hit the black singletrack at Rockhouse. I wouldn't alone, or with a DR650 (ok maybe I would but I've got a couple of miswired synapses ), but all the other stuff would be a blast.

Maybe I'll run across you at the WEC if our Jr. Enduro doesn't go off as planned. (The area's been under water on and off since winter)
SSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #13
Knute Dunrvnyet
marooned in realtime

Oddometer: 1,822
Hatfield McCoy Tracks

This post is 'way too late ,and it'd still take awhile to pull it together ...-- but if you're on a big bore dualsplort [yes sometimes I splort] you can't lose in the Apppalachians. I'm from near Unadilla MX track in CNY and we rode constantly from here to smky mtn np, on xt600s, xl600r, tengai. Great, great seasonal and tar rds thru ny s tier, then pa sf rds down thru the rdg 'n' vly [ tho we had a pisser down thru coal cntry to pennsydeutche,also;] westcentral md sf rds, then all that good stuff in n WV!! When we rode the first couplea blackwater dualsport rides, i found i had already rode some of it already on my own on earlier trips. you could spend a buncha days on those rds, from nancy hanks thru blk h20, dolly sods, to nrao [have fun, look 'em up.] From there, hatfield-mcoy is just a jump.
we used delorme atlas pg torn out folded in tankbag window, no gps.
always thot a route-sheeted tour after Unadilla MX, to well, at least Marion, VA and hungry mothr sp. From Grn Bnk to Marion, on I81, its more tar rds, but most are over the ridges; va311, va16, and the dirt rds to burkes grdn, are stand outs. never rly worked out much past there, tho we found ssr1395, just s of I40 on the n edge of smky mtn sp... i'll get back to it once these kids get a lil bigger...
Knute Dunrvnyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #14
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy
Heres a Google Earth shot with a Hatfield and McCoy Map overlayed with tracks from our days ride. Great Area to ride in!!
OK Fasteddy - How'd you do the Googlemap overlay and have it conform to the contours. That is way cool.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
fasteddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
OK Fasteddy - How'd you do the Googlemap overlay and have it conform to the contours. That is way cool.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I use Touratech's TTQV 4.0 the best GPS mapping program that there is!! It allows you to do all sorts of things including overlaying maps on Google Earth. http://www.canadianmaps.ca will get you more info on the program.

Ed...
2003 KTM 250/350 RFS EXC
2006 KTM 640 Adventure

2008 HUSABERG 550 FE