User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2003, 09:53 PM   #1
Trailace OP
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Question Piaa 959

Do they still make the Piaa 959 in the upright set up? Fish you have them on your GS where you get them? I found some on the web but not sure if they are upright or not. Don't want to order the wrong kind.

TA
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Re: Piaa 959

Quote:
Said Trailace:
Do they still make the Piaa 959 in the upright set up? Fish you have them on your GS where you get them? I found some on the web but not sure if they are upright or not. Don't want to order the wrong kind.

TA
Mine are several years old. I don't know if they ever made hangdown types. You should be okay. You have to make SURE they are upright tho. Check www.cbtimports.com.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:25 AM   #3
chuck
GS Pilot

Oddometer: 33
Re: Re: Piaa 959

Quote:
Said fish:
Mine are several years old. I don't know if they ever made hangdown types. You should be okay. You have to make SURE they are upright tho. Check www.cbtimports.com.
There are other vendors that sell these lights at a much lower price and include detailed, easy to follow installation instructions.

Note that PIAA has discontinued the 910 model and may also discontinue the 959 this year. There are close-out deals available.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:28 PM   #4
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
959 Info from PIAA

I too was looking for a set of Piaa 959's that mount upright (i.e. light up, bolt pointing down) and had a hard time. I called PIAA directly to get the scoop. PIAA is no longer selling the upright kind, only the opposite (i.e. light down, bolt goes up) kind. They claim you can still buy the individual light units but not as a kit any longer. So, if someone like Fish, who has the old style, loses a lens to a stone, PIAA will sell him a new lens.

I called around and CycleGadgets found me a set of the older style which I purchased. So, I think there may still be some inventory out there.

My plan is to have the 959's up high on a new mount I got locally and a pair of 520 driving lights on a ZanZBar.

tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:24 PM   #5
dapolrbear
Buddah Head Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Bought my 959 on ebay, and they are the newer hang down type. I fixed this problem by opening it up and flipping the reflector upside down and all is good.

I say if you come across a deal just buy it , you can make it hang down mount or stand up mount.
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:44 PM   #6
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Re: 959 Info from PIAA

Quote:
Said tom_vervaeke:

My plan is to have the 959's up high on a new mount I got locally and a pair of 520 driving lights on a ZanZBar.

tom
Tom,

You might want to rethink that. The 959's have a very sharp cutoff and are designed as true foul weather fogs, so need to be low to the ground to be effective. Put your bright lights up high.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:02 AM   #7
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Said dapolrbear:
Bought my 959 on ebay, and they are the newer hang down type. I fixed this problem by opening it up and flipping the reflector upside down and all is good.

I say if you come across a deal just buy it , you can make it hang down mount or stand up mount.
I was under the impression that you couldn't do this (just flip the reflector with these lights). There are some used 959's available locally, but they are designed for pendant mounting.

You are sure about this, right?
Old 03-11-2003, 12:23 AM   #8
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
Question what about....

I have seen several GS's with these on them...

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/newff.htm

They can be mounted upright as well as pendulum style. they come in both driving and fog patterns.

now, if you *REALLY* want to scorch some eyeballs at 2000', I bet these HID burners would do the trick...
http://catalog.com/susq/hella/ff1k01.htm
(only $550 apiece, awwwww).
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:30 AM   #9
dapolrbear
Buddah Head Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Said BeeCeeGS:
I was under the impression that you couldn't do this (just flip the reflector with these lights). There are some used 959's available locally, but they are designed for pendant mounting.

You are sure about this, right?
Absolutely positivly sure about this.

Open one up and you will see the cut off reflector, just unscrew the screws, flip it around, flip the bulb and socket accordingly, re assemble and viola!

One thing i'm not sure about is where the fuck you suppose to mount the big ass relay? I haven't got around to installing them yet....too lazy....or no crashbar to mount them on....eh...too lazy to order a crash bar...dunno
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 05:40 AM   #10
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,180
Can the 910's be flipped over to use in either the "bolt up or bolt down" position?

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:17 AM   #11
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Said sherpa:
Can the 910's be flipped over to use in either the "bolt up or bolt down" position?
Yes. Flip the gasket (behind the lens) over so that the vent/drain is on the bottom of the light when mounted--that prevents water from accumulating in the light.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:20 AM   #12
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Re: Re: 959 Info from PIAA

Quote:
Said fish:
Tom,

You might want to rethink that. The 959's have a very sharp cutoff and are designed as true foul weather fogs, so need to be low to the ground to be effective. Put your bright lights up high.
Fish:

I'm in a quandry here. I'd like to put the 959's down low but the 520's won't fit up high. They're too big. I can't find a single set of really powerful (non PIAA X-bulb) driving lights that work in an upright configuration. If I could get the old 910's that go upright I'd put those up high.

I want a pair of really bright fog/close in lights and the 959's are definitely the way to go. However, if I put those on the ZanZBar mount I'm left with something small like the 510's in an upright configuration for my high mount. The mount I'm going to use for the high stuff is something I found locally. It's a cool piece of bracket manufactured by a local machine shop. It bolts into the bike where the front turn signal goes and the turn signal is fastened to the end of this new bracket. It's the coolest thing I've seen for mounting stuff up high. I'll take pics when I do my install.

So, do you think the 959's will be ineffective or I'll simply need to ensure they're not pointed too high for oncoming cars?

The difference in height between my ZanZBar and the upper bracket is only 3-4" I think.

One other caveat is that I live in a very rural area and do most of my night time riding in rural areas of Colorado and all over the west. I plan on using the 959's for some daytime riding so that my bike is seen and I don't get wacked. But, primarily both the 959's and 520's will be used when riding well away from most other folks. I live in the mountains at 7600' and there are more deer here than people.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 03-11-2003, 03:13 PM   #13
sherpa
...Robert

Re: Re: Re: 959 Info from PIAA

Quote:
Said tom_vervaeke:
If I could get the old 910's that go upright I'd put those up high.
Thanks,

Tom
I just ordered some 910s last week from www.imotorgear.com for $237

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

Old 03-11-2003, 06:41 PM   #14
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Re: Re: Re: Re: 959 Info from PIAA

Quote:
Said sherpa:
I just ordered some 910s last week from www.imotorgear.com for $237
Sherpa:

Where did you get 910's that sit upright? I think the only 910's available are the kind that go upside down only. I'm not yet convinced you can simply swap the lens around. If that was the case, why would PIAA EVER sell two different models of the 910 (one right side up, one upside down) if it was a simple matter of just turning the innards around.

Tom
Old 03-11-2003, 06:55 PM   #15
sherpa
...Robert

I have only heard from others (like BeeCeeGS above) that the 910's can be flipped mounting bolt up or down...but according to UPS Tracking, my 910's will be here tomorrow night...so I'll check them out first hand and let you know. I do know that flipping my PIAA 1200's is done by simply removing the lens and placing the drain hole on the bottom.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW