User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Gnarly GS OP
Patrick 1150 GS

Oddometer: 8
Talking Finally got the bike out !!!

Well, today was a great day. But first things first. I picked up the bike yesterday from the local Kawa dealership. There are no BMW dealers in town to store my 1150GS (closest one is 130km away).
Rode the bike around Trois Rivieres (Three Rivers in French) for about 40km yesterday, just to make sure the bike was running well.
The weather was the same as today, roughly 12 degrees C. but nice blue skies and not too much wind.
After a quick morning workout at the local gym and stuffing down a few leftovers from last night, I was ready to ride.
I left the house around 12:30 EST and headed to my in law's sugaring off cabin, roughly 55km away. The drive is a nice one, poking thru a few small communities and then mostly rural country roads into the woods.
The driving is still a bit scary for a few reasons:
a) Quebec potholes (due to the thaw) are soooooo big, they can sometimes swallow entire school buses so you really have to drive carefully.
b) Cool pavement = less tire grip
c) A lot of sand on the roads accumulated from sanding the snow and ice over the winter.
d) Rusty reflexes as I had not been on my GS since last November.

I got to the cabin at roughly 13:00, just in time to join my in-laws for some home-made pancakes with real maple syrup. My father in law has had this cabin for at least 20 years and it is a Spring ritual to go down there once a week to enjoy all kinds of maple sugar productsé The in-laws are great people but I don't know how they can stay so thin, eating all kinds of sweets like maple sugar, maple taffy, eggs and beans, ham and sausage, all soaked in maple syrup!!!

The drive back home went well and I stopped into down-town Trois Rivieres
for a quick coffee to warm me up and settle my stomach.

I did meet two other GS's on the road today and I believe they were both 1200 models, one yellow and one red. Both had a grin as wide as mine.

Great way to start off the new riding season.

I left in a bit of a hurry and forgot my camera but here is a pic from last year. I'll get back to the cabin shortly and update my pics.

Have a great season to all my fellow ADV riders. Drive Safe,

Pat
Gnarly GS is offline   Reply With Quote