User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Zero2 OP
without limits...

Oddometer: 34
Going from a 990S to a 950SE?

I have just sold my 990S and ordered a 950 Super Enduro , but started getting second thoughts now…
Who has done the same change with a positive outcome and what are your impressions of the 950SE to use 50/50 on/off and sometimes on road with the missus being pillion?
Zero2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:56 AM   #2
Bronx
Bronx

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero2
I have just sold my 990S and ordered a 950 Super Enduro , but started getting second thoughts now…
Who has done the same change with a positive outcome and what are your impressions of the 950SE to use 50/50 on/off and sometimes on road with the missus being pillion?
I have not owned a 950 Adv or the 950S but have ridden the Adv a few times. I have owned my 950SE sinse last September and have 10,000kms on the clock. I ride 70 road 30 dirt as I ride long distances to get to the dirt. I love the SE but have trouble choosing the most appropriate tyres. I am running the Dunlop 908RR at the moment. These are mostly for dirt but can handle the tar. I mostly enjoy the dirt therefore tend to go for dirt orientated tyres. The SE is a lot of fun. It can handle the tar ok with the correct tyres but it really goes well on dirt, mud and sand. I prefer the SE over the other big KTMs but that is a personal thing and has more to do with the fun factor off road.

I am not worried about the pillion. Most people I hang around with have bikes.

Bruce
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
zugy
My brother wheeling SXC

Oddometer: 192
Your getting buyers remorse.

I have the 990 S. I looked at and sat on a 950 SE yesterday. I am very happy with my 990 S.
zugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Hey, local yokel, check my thread about super enduro impressions - I have owned both

and I am glad I got the SE and not the ADV?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
Zero2 OP
without limits...

Thanks guys, I think I did the right thing!

The 990 ADV was indeed verrrry nice but for sand riding it was sometimes more than a handful due to the weight.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
PasiS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
My wife has her own bike so I cannot tell how SE is with two but when riding solo, I think SE is great on-road. Űber-great on gravel roads.
PasiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
mudpao
dirty and loving it

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Riding with a pillion is ok for short trips only. The bike is not bad at speeds below 60mph. Above that, I strongly suggest that you start using a road helmet (aka...helmets without the beak-style visor... the ones commonly used by sport bike riders). If you would only have one bike... the 950SE is ok. It also depends on your riding skill and height. If you could afford to have two, that's a different story altogether.

The lower weight of the SE as compared to the 990 helps you forget some of the comfort lost. But it's small tank and minimal range (120miles max) makes you wish otherwise.

I can live with the shorter tank range for the fun the SE-R offers... just dont make me push it uphill on a dirtroad when it runs outta gas
Old 06-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
blouvalk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Test rode the SE yesterday. WOW!
Now I know what the R stands for. Compleetly different than ADV.
For me it is too much tool for the purpose. I do 1000km trip in day and sometimes night driving. The owner told me the lights is more crap than ADV.
Think I will stay with ADV. But boy what a bike!!!!!
my 2c.......
blouvalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 512
950SE vs ADV

i have put 10k miles on a adv and recemtly purchased an SE. imho as a dual sport the se is perfectly suited to a 50/50 role. obviously the se is much better off road but i also think it is more fun to ride on the twisties as it is lighter and motre flickable than the adv although you do lose some braking with the single disk. also the se seat is quite a bit higher.

as you know the adv is a very practical all around machine and if i planned on seriously long distance riding or often carrying passengers i would for sure prefer the adv. also, there are many more aftermarket farkles for the adv. either way now that i have the se i am perfectly happy.

good luck.

Quote:
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouvalk
Test rode the SE yesterday. WOW!
Now I know what the R stands for. Compleetly different than ADV.
For me it is too much tool for the purpose. I do 1000km trip in day and sometimes night driving. The owner told me the lights is more crap than ADV.
Think I will stay with ADV. But boy what a bike!!!!!
my 2c.......

Hey R,

Interesting to read your take pal. Is this similar to our phone con, when I said the things got too much power maybe for the application? In either case, its still an awesome bike and needs a bit of time to bond. I can see this things gonna be my 2nd skin soon. I might might might be embarking on a 3000km trip on it... soon. Adios amigo
Old 06-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Teckhardt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I have been thinking of selling my Adv and getting an SE. Just not doing the touring I thought I would.
Teckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
...the things got too much power maybe for the application...its still an awesome bike and needs a bit of time to bond. I can see this things gonna be my 2nd skin soon.
Exactly my experience. I second-guessed it for a while, thinking it's just too much, like riding a race bike all the time. After a few long days in the saddle, the bond has been forged. She stays.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
Zero2 OP
without limits...

I went for a 2’nd test ride and now I am convinced.

I want a bike like that!

It might have a real uncomfortable seat and small tank, the wind blast above legal speed is bad, it might have to much power and the tires don’t last but the grin factor is off the chart…

Thanks for all your help.

Rgds
z
Old 06-26-2007, 01:33 AM   #14
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Comeon Z, tell us how you really feel. Be honest!

I would love this bike if it was R40K cheaper, had 10% less power, 10% more torque, and around 30kgs lighter.

But then again, I have been sick and havent ridden the bike more than 5x total, so I am just whining. Carry on.

But IMO, its still the best looking bike in the big trailies category by far, so I love it.

ok ok, so the drugs I am on, dont make me making sense. best not to go for a ride then huh
Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 AM   #15
Dakarmikey
MikeyB

Oddometer: 67
my 2 cents worth

Its an absolutely horrible bike

Way too fast for the weight
Way too powerful
Way too tall
Way too good looking
Way too expensive
Way too uncomfortable seat
It eats tires - 5k on the original knobbly
It gets up on the back wheel too easily

Pillion may not be impressed - the seat is hard and slopes downward which'll make her slip forward - sheepskin cover for the pillion's bits perhaps? Although from a rider perspective the bike copes just fine with the 2 of us - she does stand up when doing difficult bits and when about to fly

Basically I love it and am so glad i got it. At one stage i really cursed it (kept falling off due to height) and its taken time to get used to (from a 650 Dakar) but now that i know what it does and how it does it i'm completely stoked - though as LITO says, maybe less power, more torque (different sprocket setup?) and less weight n height would be an advantage... I have s*** myself sometimes due to a mixture of all the above... I also commute on it daily...

Oh - and tank-range - should have a 17L perhaps.

Good luck with your decision-makings. Hope you get one! Worth every grin...

Mikey (thats me after every ride)
Dakarmikey is offline   Reply With Quote