Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Drifter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,839
Best Saddle Bags for KLR650 - Any suggestions?

Looking for the most popular soft saddle bags for the KLR. Any help is mot appreciated.
Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
Canadane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Thumb

I have been very happy with my Wolfman luggage, both the Alpha rear bag and the tank bag. The alpha bag with the duffel will hold enough stuff for a 2-week trip.
Eric, owner of Wolfman, is now producing his bags in a new material that is completely water proof.
Canadane, BC, Canada
Canadane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
Jeff4680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Can't go wrong with the Wolfman gear. I have the alfa bag, duffel, tank panniers, glove box and tank bag. All very well made and great service from Eric. The only issue I have is the rear bag can makes things a tad cramped if you tend to sit back on the seat.

For most rides I use a Gearsack bag & dirt panniers. Cheap as chips and virtually indestructible.

Jeff
Jeff4680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
Plugger
Eat'n a sammich

Oddometer: 81
Wolfman

I agree, I've had a wolfman tank bag and the alpha rear bag for two years now. Added the rear duffel and tank panniers a couple months ago. The only downside was the material was not waterproof so you had to run with some kind of waterproof bags inside. Sounds like he fixed that problem with this years model.

On another note, anyone have pictures of wolfman tank panniers mounted on a KLR. After getting them and seeing the drawing that Eric supplies for mounting them it looks kind of goofy.

Good luck with your decision but soft bags and particularly wolfman products have been good for me.
Plugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:25 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Wolfman bags are great, but they are not waterproof... You do need a rain cover.

Ortlieb dry bags are waterproof and are very good bags. If you want to do it on the cheap, SeaLine dry bags are just the ticket.. completely waterproof and for about $25, you can fit your tent, sleeping bag, air mattress and all your gear in one big ass bag..
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:10 AM   #6
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Yup, I use a big drybag duffle across the rack. cheap and works--just like the KLR.

Ortleib are nice soft saddlebags, you need a muffler guard to prevent melting. Hold a lot of stuff and keep the COG low.

Caribou cases look like they will be the ticket for hard cases--read the pelican case thread in vendors, the pick of the KLR is on page 19 or 20.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Sobiloff
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Note that Ortlieb make a version of their dry bag saddlebags called "QRL," which stands for Quick Release Latch. The backside of each bag has four hard plastic latches which attach to Happy Trails' NW rack. This gets rid of the velcro straps on the regular Ortliebs that go over the top of the seat, plus the straps at the bottom of the bag, making it very quick to unlatch and remove the bags from the rack.

My hope is that the QRL also reduces the amount the bags will "flap" when you go over bumps.

I just received my NW rack and QRL bags last week, but haven't had a chance to install them yet.
Sobiloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Twist & Shout
Alpin Mann

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Wolfman bags are great, but they are not waterproof... You do need a rain cover.
Wolfman now makes the Expedition Series of bags which are waterproof:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/06Expedition/index.html
Twist & Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist & Shout
Wolfman now makes the Expedition Series of bags which are waterproof:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/06Expedition/index.html
This is not entirely accurate. I received a set of the Expedition bags from Eric, which I'm in the process of reviewing alongside the Ortleibs and DirtBagz.

The material that the Expeditions are made of is totally waterproof, but the stiching is not. It is my understanding, that the cost of the machinery for welding the seams, as on the Orliebs, is beyond the budget of anybody but the largest manufacturer. Even with that said...so far in my review of the three sets of bags, the Wolfman Expeditions come out on top of the other two. They are the set I plan to keep for myself.

If your not someone who already packs their belongings in individual waterproof stuffsacks...a small change in your packing might be necessary with either the DirtBagz or the Expedition Bags. I'm also planning on seam sealing the stiching on my Expedition bags to take the waterproofness up a couple of notches.

Hopefully, I'll finish fitting and comparing the three sets of bags this week and will be able to post some pics along with a review.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #10
danny31
Everyday Guy

Oddometer: 89
Use the DirtBagz mounts with the Ortliebs, that is what I did, and ALOT cheaper than Happy Trails mounts. I went ahead and got a heat shield from Dual Star just to be safe, you really need one.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #11
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
I have the 60L bags from www.motopakluggage.com - also have Barna's heat shield available in the vendor section. They have been good so far - and pretty cheap. I picked them up on eBay (can usually get them a little cheaper than on the site if you are not in a hurry to buy).

PP
Old 04-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
JRMSR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
This is not entirely accurate. I received a set of the Expedition bags from Eric, which I'm in the process of reviewing alongside the Ortleibs and DirtBagz.

The material that the Expeditions are made of is totally waterproof, but the stiching is not. It is my understanding, that the cost of the machinery for welding the seams, as on the Orliebs, is beyond the budget of anybody but the largest manufacturer. Even with that said...so far in my review of the three sets of bags, the Wolfman Expeditions come out on top of the other two. They are the set I plan to keep for myself.

If your not someone who already packs their belongings in individual waterproof stuffsacks...a small change in your packing might be necessary with either the DirtBagz or the Expedition Bags. I'm also planning on seam sealing the stiching on my Expedition bags to take the waterproofness up a couple of notches.

Hopefully, I'll finish fitting and comparing the three sets of bags this week and will be able to post some pics along with a review.

Wow! this is incomprehensible. How can you advertise waterproof if the seams are not waterproof. I was going to get the Wolfman Expedition set, but not now. Why would you choose them over completely waterproof. I can't see that they are any better than Ortlieb, or as good, hard to tell from their sparsh pictures. Waterproof is no.1 on my list, everything else is secondary.

When are you going to post review.
JRMSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
I have a expedition tank bag that get used everyday an I can say it IS waterproof. I can also say after owning his gear I will never buy from anwhere else.
From Erics site
"Expedition Saddle Bags(patent pending)

Designed for the most demanding motorcycle enthusiast. These expedition quality saddle bags have rugged outdoor styling for an uncompromising fit. Spacious 28-liter cargo capacity and weather tight 3-roll closure.
Note: For high- piped bike, including dual sports, these saddle bags work best with a guard(s) to keep away from the exhaust and tire.

Features:
•Heavy duty PVC exterior construction
•Universal 5 point mounting system
•Tough-Tek backing to protect body panels
•Rear stiffener
•Reflective trim
•Side and center buckles for compression"
Old 04-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
JRMSR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
[QUOTE=onaXR]I have a expedition tank bag that get used everyday an I can say it IS waterproof. I can also say after owning his gear I will never buy from anwhere else.
From Erics site
"Expedition Saddle Bags(patent pending)

Designed for the most demanding motorcycle enthusiast. These expedition quality saddle bags have rugged outdoor styling for an uncompromising fit. Spacious 28-liter cargo capacity and weather tight 3-roll closure.
Note: For high- piped bike, including dual sports, these saddle bags work best with a guard(s) to keep away from the exhaust and tire.

Features:
•Heavy duty PVC exterior construction
•Universal 5 point mounting system
•Tough-Tek backing to protect body panels
•Rear stiffener
•Reflective trim
•Side and center buckles for compression"
[/QUOTE

Nothing in here says WATERPROOF, that's enough for me to believe they are not waterproof, ortlieb advertises completely waterproof.
JRMSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #15
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMSR
Nothing in here says WATERPROOF, that's enough for me to believe they are not waterproof, ortlieb advertises completely waterproof.
weather tight 3-roll closure