Advice on shipping to Alaska

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by sherco, Mar 30, 2006.

1. sherco

sherco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to Alaska, June 2007---I know, I know, it's a long way off, but I want to have my shit together, so I'm planning ahead. I am thinking about me and the bike going one way on a boat from Washington to Alaska (or vice versa) Anybody know anything about doing this? If so, please help me out 'o wise ones, and answer any or all of these .................

1. what's it cost
    2. how long does it take.
    3. any options on departure/arrival locations
    4. is a crate required
    5. what are the accommodations like on the boat.
    6. any carriers recommended
    7. am I a pussy for not riding both ways
    8 .............?
  2. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    I will offer that you Google the State of Alaska Ferry System. I have used it several times for AK to AK ventures. Not sure how it ties in with WA. You can do it on the cheap by not getting a stateroom or can travel in relative comfort for a reasonable price. Pretty scenic too on the inside passage. Hope it helps.
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the ferry is a nice voyage, but it gets pricey pretty fast. I was checking into this a while back and I think the cost from Bellingham to someplace like Haines was something like $800 and took 3.5 days. This might have included a stateroom - I don't remember. (For a 3.5 day trip, I'd want a place to get a good night's sleep.)

For about the same money, you could ship your bike to Anchorage and fly up. Unless you really want a boat ride, I'd look into this.

- Mark
  4. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Alaska Airlines used to fly bikes for $.67 a pound, I'm sure that rate has gone up along with the cost of fuel but it might be worth looking into.
  5. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sherco, I'm glad someone brought this up as I too am going in June 07. We're meeting in Seattle if you'd like to meet with us and then take the ferry from Seattle to Haines and camping on the deck. Cheaper. Then most likely the Alcan to Prudhoe. Still in the beginning stage and I am not too familiar with things just yet. You may want to ask Popey on this list as he just did this trip. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104372&highlight=area+alaska, :deal but I think he rode the whole way. I'll also be leaving from the S.F. bay area like Popey did. You could ship your bike to SeaTac and meet with us.
  6. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    Interesting tidbit - as reported by a friend last year who came home on the Ferry:

- bike on boat: full fee
    - pickup on boat: full fee
    - bike on back of pickup: free
    (pickup still pays)

Piggyback, as an idea!

Paul
  7. V-Strom Hooligan

V-Strom Hooligan E Pluribus Hooligan

Oddometer:
  8. sherco

sherco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vtwin-- I'll be starting from Ohio so I'll have a few miles behind me when I get to Washington. Ill PM you and get your info so we can see if I can have some company.
    '
  9. sherco

sherco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll check "Great white north" I figured this subject may have already been addressed somewhere else.
    I may ride it both ways, but I thought taking the boat one way would add a bit of variety -- and give my ass a break.
  10. jhrodd

jhrodd n00b

Oddometer:
    We took the ferry back to Bellingham from Scagway a couple years ago after driving up the Alaska Hwy. It was fantastic. We delivered a big truck to Juneau, spent a few days, then rode the Ferry down to B'ham. There were lot's of Motorcycles on board in mid-August. We had clear blue skies and temps in the mid 70's for the whole trip. There's a big Solarium with lounge chairs that people sleep in and tents pitched on the deck. The food was good, there's Alaska Amber on tap and interesting people from all over the world. I highly recommend taking the Ferry. Here's a shot of the deck pulling out of Juneau :

[​IMG]

And here's something you won't see from the seat of your bike:

[​IMG]

View from the stern at 5 a.m. on the inside passage :

[​IMG]
  11. sherco

sherco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's it The great photos did it ! I'm taking the boat at least one way.

Got a name for the boat or its operating company? I'd like to ask them:

Departure schedule
    Reservations required?
    tie down required? -supplied or bring your own?
    price?

I'll Google around and see if I can find any ferry operators
  12. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Alaska Marine Highway
  13. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just go.

Any ninny can ride to Alaska. My wife and I did it on our first bikes (a K75RT and K100LT) for our honeymoon. She had ridden a couple of hundred miles prior to departure from a midwestern location.

I have taken the ferry for three trips and the road for three as well - all are worthy journies.

If you choose to take the ferry I suggest taking a couple of days to ride Vancouver Island too. Uclulet etc. is beautiful (See BC Ferries for schedule/rates). I lived in Homer for a few years and think the ferry is an excellent way to see parts you can't ride to. I also think the ferry is reasonably priced and the ride out of Haines is gorgeous.

$.02
    Bruincounselor
  14. Kithelbec

Kithelbec As Cool As I Dare to Be

Oddometer:
    A month ago I would have suggested riding to Vancouverr, taking the ferry to Victoria, and riding up to Port Hardy, and taking the Ferry to Prince Rupert, and continue riding from there, but... as you may have heard we had a wee bit of an issue a couple of weeks ago. The Queen of the North, one of the two ships running that route sank. And the real slick bit is that the other ship, is in drydock for refitting. So riding up the coast on BC ferries is going to be a full out gong show this summer.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Kith.
  15. MySUV

MySUV VTer

Oddometer:
    Man, you are NOT a pussy for not riding both ways!! The inside passage is beautiful and the Alaska Marine Highway ferries are small enough (400ft) to get into the smallest narrows (which the cruise ships are not). The only way to see this area is by boat, and the only way to see Southeast Alaska is by boat or plane (no roads to get there).

It's about $450 from Bellingham to Haines, Alaska. The price is not that bad relative to gas you'd have to put in the bike at Canadian fuel prices. This price does not include a sleep cabin. You do not have to crate the bike. They strap them down just like any ferry crossing.

Best advice on this ferry trip, have a zoom lens (I was able to get pictures of bears from the deck of the boat), and bring your own food on board. The cafeteria food SUCKS!!

As for being a pussy, you'll have plenty of challenging roads to prove you're worthy!!

Be sure to explore Dawson City thoroughly--my favorite place on Earth!!
  16. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    another 2 cents,, I think it to be less hassle to catch the alaska ferry in B'ham instead of seattle, much more relaxed pace, town is cool, kill some time in old town while you wait for the boat,,works out cheaper than driving a vehicle (but not a bike:evil) and you get to see the sights and party all the way to Homer,(depending on route/scheduling),,do a search for pricing and schedules, cuz they change with the seasons,,take tons of pics,,tons of em! if you have a digital cam,,make sure you have ample storage cards, maybe take along a card reader. on the other hand, if you dont care to see killer whales, towering glaciers, skyhigh waterfalls,flocks of seabirds, sea otters, seals, and other sea stuff,, then ride both ways on dry land.:huh.as i mentioned,, just.02
  17. sherco

sherco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The price for me and my Vstrom looks to be $790 one way now and who knows what next year. I'm pumped up to go NOW and don't want to wait till 07 but I'm going to NM, AZ and Colo. for 2 weeks in May this year then back to NM in Sept for a week on the dr650 with old high school buddies. We do a DP ride every year together and last year in New Mexico was the best ever. They've got real pretty dirt and rocks in NM. Alaska in June 07 and DP New Mexico AGAIN in Sept 07-----it's all good!
    A lot of my friends play golf and think I'm nuts. One of them has a Harley as a fashion accessory but isn't really a motorcyclists (he dresses like a pirate when he rides). Who would choose to play a game hitting a little ball when you could go ride you bike out west or to Ak. ?
  18. thunder1200

thunder1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl hahahaha too funny arrrrrr
  19. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you run into bike trouble , i live 20 mi south of Bellingham

damn that ferry sure has gotten pricey.
  20. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds good. A couple of guys towards your way are coming west as well to meet up with me. I'm thinking we're going to Bellingham to catch the ferry to Haines. On the return trip, I think the other guys are going back through Edmonton and Calgary. You may want to hook up with them for your return. I live in California so will be going south solo. Let me know if it'll work for you. And we'll firm up details as they gel.:ear