User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #136
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 453
Where can I get this?

Anyone know about this headlight surround? Isn't in the XL500 fiche. Another model? Honda accessory? Anyone?

Joe in WI
BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #137
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,273
Not sure, but that looks like a Euro model. Never seen that color and surround on a US bike. Try German XL sites, most speak passable english, and if I'm right, that's where you'll find that surround. Dang but that is a COOL paint scheme.
Dave
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #138
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 453
Noob question

Is my kickstand supposed to do this? When the bike's weight is put on the stand, it slips outward and leans over at a much greater angle. Is this how they're designed? Or just worn?

Joe in WI
BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #139
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,787
Hammer fix.

Mine did that because the ears were spread. I just took it off and beat them back into place.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #140
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle
Mine did that because the ears were spread. I just took it off and beat them back into place.
Yarp +1

If you have a good bench vise you might want to try putting it in and squeezing the ears together, it's a little more controllable than beating them with a hammer.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #141
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
I think I'mma build me a second kickstand with thicker plate on the ears so that doesn't happen anymore. Turn me a longer custom bolt (these ones have that built-in bushing at the pivot point) and add a large foot to the schedule 40 pipe leg. It'll be fun! This will be for the 600. Looks like the 600 and 500 both have the same kickstand, so if anyone wanted a duplicate, I'd be happy to suit your needs.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #142
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle
+2

Joel, You're the guy that carries his own sand to the beach, aren't you?

But hey, you are the fabricator extraordinaire around here. Not to mention the guy I refer people to for questions about our bikes. And why? Because you take EVERYTHING apart, learn it, then rebuild it. Good on you! BTW, did any of your childhood toys survive?

Oh, and if your foot on the stand sinks into dirt or gravel too easily, I've found that an old concave tractor freeze plug welds onto the foot nicely. Looks kinda like the feet on the Apollo LEM Lander, but it disperses the load over a wider area.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #143
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

You nailed my life story. Toys? What are they? My Dad brought home broken machines from work... not as many a I'd have liked or as often, but there were also a couple field trips to work with him and to a junkyard. I loved New Yankee Workshop and This Old House. Oh and I used to LOOOVE when Mr. Rogers would visit a factory to show us how trumpets or crayons or balloons were made.

Freeze plug- mounted concave or convex in relation to the ground? I would like it concave looking down, that's how I made the first plate I put on the end of my extended-for-suspension-raise and then lowered-for-back-to stock-height modified kickstand. I need to change the angle on that foot plate.

Well, off to the shop. Tech Shop, that is.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #144
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp

Freeze plug- mounted concave or convex in relation to the ground?
Concave, Convex, whatever it takes. Sorry, that movie reference is probably a little before your time. Anyway, ball side down, bowl up.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #145
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt
Concave, Convex, whatever it takes. Sorry, that movie reference is probably a little before your time. Anyway, ball side down, bowl up.
What if my film knowledge spanned outside my own generation?

Tell me what movie it's from.

Convex, concave, you're killin' me, Dave.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #146
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Mr. Mom......

With Michael Keaton long before he played Batman. He's laid off, staying at home while the wife goes back to work. To deal with the ego blow of being laid off, he get's manly and decides to remodel part of the house. He also think the wife's boss is after her.

The Boss comes by to pick her up for a trip or something, and there's Michael in bibs, a flannel shirt, and safety goggles holding a sledge hammer.
The Boss asks him about his remodeling plans, and he says he's gonna do this, and that, and probably rewire the room while he's at it.

Boss asks him if he's going to wire it up 110? Michael responds, "Yeah, 110...............120...........whatever it takes."
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #147
scout18
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Here is my new project 79 for 300 bones. Been in storage for 4 years. the seat is perfect. the tank had stabilizer in it and is pristine inside. I already bought a decomp cable for it and now I need a choke cable. The bike starts and runs but I need to clean the carb. It will idle if hold the choke on but when I take it off it wants to die.. I know what I am doing tomorrow.

scout18 screwed with this post 03-27-2014 at 04:27 PM
scout18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #148
mtn500
bush jumper

Oddometer: 301
looks like a nice fixerupper scout. great find.

while i'm at it, anyone got any spare xl500 parts laying around, specifically a top end? thanks

If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you may not see, this you are forbidden to know", the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.

mtn500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #149
racermdub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I have a 1980 XL 500S I'd like to make 12v, can anyone tell me what I need? Thanks in advance, Matt
racermdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 AM   #150
racermdub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Any help here would be greatly appreciated! Maybe someone can direct me to someone who knows? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?
racermdub is offline   Reply With Quote