Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #151
mtn500
bush jumper

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermdub
I have a 1980 XL 500S I'd like to make 12v, can anyone tell me what I need? Thanks in advance, Matt
in the past I have had this exact thought. I come to realize that the bike is what it is. it "can" be converted to 12v, but why would you want to? accept the beast for what it is

If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you may not see, this you are forbidden to know", the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.

mtn500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #152
racermdub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Because I live in Michigan and would like to have heated grips! And a decent headlight so I can see, and be seen at night.
racermdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #153
theart
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Here is a nice XL500

http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-...AdIdZ185800305
theart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #154
mtn500
bush jumper

wow, that is nice.

here is another link to a nice one, been around for a while, but I like what he has did with it.

http://www.xl500.de/galerie/daten/ga...orey/corey.htm

If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you may not see, this you are forbidden to know", the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #155
expolice
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Converting to 12 volts

Quote:
Because I live in Michigan and would like to have heated grips! And a decent headlight so I can see, and be seen at night.
Hey racermdub,

I live in Michigan too, Flat Rock to be specific. I was out running errands on the 82 XL500R I got last August on 2/21. The sun was out and roads were dry so instead of getting the harley fired up, I just figured I use the Honda. It was around 40-42 degrees. I got a lot of strange looks but a few smiles that I read as "I wish I had my bike out today!"

I figure what needs to be changed out would be the alternator and regulator and then of course the light bulbs.

GENERALLY speaking, the wiring and switches are a large enough gauge (gage) to handle the 12 volts. A 55 watt headlamp, in a 6 volt system requires approx 9 amps. A 55 watt headlamp in a 12 volt system uses around 4.5 amps so you may need to re-fuse a couple of circuits to be safe. [the old P(ower) = I (amps) times E (volts)]

I haven't been into my 82 XL500R enough to know what it takes to remove/replace the alternator/regulator bits. I'm sure some of the veterans on here can provide some better insight on the mechanics of the swap!

By the way-I'm looking for a good used rear fender and fender support bracket for a 82 XL500R incase anybody has one they want to move out of their garage or basement!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #156
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by expolice
Hey racermdub,
I figure what needs to be changed out would be the alternator and regulator and then of course the light bulbs.
Someone with more knowledge than I have should correct me if I am wrong, but I think you might be able to use the same alternator. It puts out high voltage AC (compaired to 6 or 12v,) so a change in regulator should be able to reduce the AC to 12vdc rather than 6vdc.

Unless I'm wrong.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #157
freewheelburner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiebear
Nice motard xl500 on supermotojunkie notice drum front and back. Guy that did it did his own powdercoating.
Now that's an XL500! I may have to try that.
freewheelburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #158
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 915
I've just bought a 1982 XL500R - all original (apart from exhaust) and un-restored, even has tool kit

Gonna pick it up this coming Saturday - can't wait
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #159
mtn500
bush jumper

Pigford

Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #160
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
I have a 1980 XL 500S I'd like to make 12v, can anyone tell me what I need? Thanks in advance, Matt
You need all of the bits from a Honda FT500 Ascot. Same motor, but it had a 12v stator AND electric start! You can take the charging system off of the FT and it should bolt right up to your XL, but you will still have to change your rectifier, battery, and ALL of your bulbs.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #161
beezerjoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn500
in the past I have had this exact thought. I come to realize that the bike is what it is. it "can" be converted to 12v, but why would you want to? accept the beast for what it is
I just did this on my friends 79. I converted his to 12 volt just because you can't find 6v stuff everywhere. The problem with the conversion is that there is not enough wattage to run the headlamp and the rest of the lights on just DC. So I had to put in a 12v AC regulator and wire the headlamp back into the original AC circuit. Works like a charm and is a simple and low cost conversion.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #162
Oddyssey
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Whoops oh no well I did it again

Hey all. I found a project. And in researching found this place. Some of your comments made me buy it! Anyway its an 82 xl500r. PROJECT. Some missing parts. and no known real history. The main thing missing is the ignition switch. I dont really need that but, I want to try and start it to see what I have. The engine seems tight but again no ignition switch. I would like some comments on how to hotwire it. Looks like I jumper (short) red to black and green to blk/w on the ignition switch coupler? I dont want to do anything to destroy the electronics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Oddyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #163
misteroldschool
pain monster

Oddometer: 75
sorry to bring this back from the dead but iv got an 81 xl500 that iv been doing alot of trips on, recently did a 3 day trip actually, im wondering if there is anyone who makes panniers/boxes for it? iv searched alot and couldent find anything, im thinking about just buying some sheet metal and making my own, but then the question of how do i mount them comes into play
misteroldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #164
notsoblas'e
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Im suprised theres posts in this thread saying they were a hard starter.....just kick them through slow until the decompressor clicks, let kicker back up to top of stroke and give it a prod.....too easy.

And yes, they were the ultimate mono/wheelie bike to the point I have seen people take to the front guard with a hacksaw to shorten it to stop it flapping/twisting around on those loooooonggggggg 70mph balance point wheelies.
notsoblas'e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #165
misteroldschool
pain monster

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsoblas'e View Post
Im suprised theres posts in this thread saying they were a hard starter.....just kick them through slow until the decompressor clicks, let kicker back up to top of stroke and give it a prod.....too easy.

And yes, they were the ultimate mono/wheelie bike to the point I have seen people take to the front guard with a hacksaw to shorten it to stop it flapping/twisting around on those loooooonggggggg 70mph balance point wheelies.
mine starts on the first kick every time, you just have to know how to use the compression release right, that little lever under the clutch lever is your best friend ;)
misteroldschool is offline   Reply With Quote