Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #31
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,208
23" front wheel, crap brakes but amusing. With a bit of practice, I once managed a stand on the pegs in 3rd gear wheelie. Tried it again, thought I was in 3rd but was actually in 2nd, clocks nearly hit me in the face and came close to crashing, never tried it again - fond memories.

I also managed to start it by hand after the decomp cable snapped, it kicked back, foot slipped & the serrated pegs removed the skin from the entire length of my right shin through my jeans - not so fond memories.

Possu screwed with this post 05-01-2006 at 01:27 PM
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #32
BigBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Luggage rack?

Anybody know where I can get a luggage rack for one of these? I saw one on eBay a while ago, should've grabbed it but I didn't.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #33
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,978
cheap rack for XL500

The way the rear frame loop meets the fender on an XL500 allows the creation of a cheap rack with a couple of u-bolts and a square of plywood. I padded the frame with inner tube where the u-bolts were clamped and countersunk the nuts into the plywood so the rack had a flat surface. Once you paint it black noone will notice it's made of wood. Put an eye-bolt on each of the corners -- makes it handy for bungy cords.

Sorry, no pictures -- that was a quarter century ago. But I did it in about an hour for about $5 worth of stuff I had lying around, and it worked as well as any of the factory or aftermarket racks I ever bought.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #34
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Wonderful Bike

I had one for years----it was a great bike that will take you most anywhere.

Of course it's old school and newer offroad dualsports have better everything. It's still a great bike and the stock gearing will really let it motor down the road with ease.

It's 6 volt-----it has a battery but if it's dead the thing will still run and the headlight will work as the headlight is not powered by the battery---it runs right off the stator on it's own winding.----Pretty neat--why don't they still do that ???

When it's not running and you turn on the key---the headlight doesn't light.

I wish all bikes would run with a dead battery----my KLR, DRZ and Husky 610 will as with most offroad bikes. But the bigger bikes won't ----especially the fuel injected ones.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:35 AM   #35
Wufnu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
My first bike ever I got when I was about 13-14. It was an '82 XL100S. Mmmmm, what fun I had on that machine. I don't think I ever changed the oil, I don't think I ever tightened the bolts, no maintainence at all, etc. I just turned the kick, kicked it, and rode off.

If the bigger XL's are anything like the 100 I had, they're great little bikes. For $500, can't go wrong there.
Wufnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #36
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster
It's kind of strange how North America never got the XL500R,
but went straight to the XL600R.

That's not true. My uncle had an XL500R, first year of the monoshock. He lives in Iowa. He probably still has it, though I know he was looking at new bikes recently.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #37
BigBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
I did it in about an hour for about $5 worth of stuff I had lying around, and it worked as well as any of the factory or aftermarket racks I ever bought.
I've contemplated similar ideas. If I can't find an old purpose-built rack I've got an idea involving some 1/2 inch right angle steel and a pair of .50 caliber ammo cans.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #38
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 419
Anyone looking for parts can email me. I've got one stripped down, just needs a new head and cam and a few other things. BTW the bike rocked when it ran, but the idiot who owned it before me never changed the oil enuf... got an XL600R now and is ridden daily, Honda still stocks parts for both.
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:51 AM   #39
Watty

Oddometer: n/a
I had two in the early 80's. Had a very bad run-in with a motor vehicle, end up 9 months in the hospital, bike was also a goner.

One of the things to look for or test is piston slack, and the more obvious wear on the sprockets, especially the front one. These were the things I remembered that went first.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #40
maxplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
My first bike was a '77 XL100 and I wanted to get an '80 or '81 XL500, but let my dad talk me into going with a 550 Maxim. Wish I'd bought the Honda and never sold it! I miss round headlights and dual-analog instrumentation...

'07 Suzuki DR650SE
maxplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:35 AM   #41
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
That's not true. My uncle had an XL500R, first year of the monoshock. He lives in Iowa. He probably still has it, though I know he was looking at new bikes recently.
I think he means that they never "got it". Not that we couldn't buy them here. And yet latched onto the idea of the xr600, and it's sales figures showed that.

...but i'm just a newb.
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #42
slip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
I had one. It had a 23" front wheel Wheelie bike for sure
That's right, that big front wheel. I bought a brand new 1980 model. I loved that bike. I would wheelie at every stop light.
slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:54 AM   #43
patracy
Broken...

Oddometer: 416
To bump this thread up...

I picked up an 81 XL500S last weekend. It runs, but needs a lot. I've been toying with the idea of fixing it up.

For $50 I didn't think it'd be wrong to. I also got a roller 86 CR125.

It does burn oil. But it's got good compression and power. There's a lot wrong with the bike. Rusty all over. But it all works. The biggest problems I have is the transmission. 1st kicks back out instead of staying in. The exhaust needs to be replaced. (it's too loud) Needs a choke cable, front brake lever, entire decomp system. (it's been cut up and disabled)

Anyone know how much of a PITA pulling the engine and fixing 1st gear would be? (And cost)

Also how would I go about adding a headlight and brakelight to it? (It doesn't have a battery)

I'm acutally suprised. I bought it thinking I bought a boat ancor. But I dumped the decade old gas, poured some fresh into the tank, sprayed it with a little starting fluid and BRRRRRAAAAATTTTTTT she came back to life. I really should pull the carb and clean it. As it doesn't want to idle much. But I'm going to run a half tank of gas with carb cleaner and see if it improves.

Back to the CR... I assume the front would be sprung to light to graft onto the front? I only ask because it has a 21" tire (the XL has a 23") and disc brake. I also thought about trying to retrofit the rear swingarm and mono shock off it too.

Thoughts?

I had amnesia once -- or twice.
patracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:02 AM   #44
patracy
Broken...

Oddometer: 416
Oh yeah, if I did pull the engine to fix first, I'd hit the frames rusted sections with a wirebrush and coat the entire thing in bedliner paint.

I had amnesia once -- or twice.

patracy screwed with this post 12-20-2006 at 06:24 AM
patracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #45
919rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by patracy
For $50 I didn't think it'd be wrong to. I also got a roller 86 CR125.
Why can't I ever find those deals?
919rider is offline   Reply With Quote