Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #46
patracy
Broken...

Oddometer: 416
Just gotta keep your eyes open and ask around. :)

I had amnesia once -- or twice.
patracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #47
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,063
I bought mine new in 1979, the first year they were made. I put over 14000 street miles on it before XRizing it. I run it hard on the trails and fireroads, and after 27 years it is still running strong. I get a little puff of smoke now and then, but hey, the engine has never been touched.

I am still waiting to find out whether it is indestructible.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:01 AM   #48
patracy
Broken...

Anyone have any info on how to wire up lights on this bike? From what I gather it only has a 6V system. I wouldn't mind running LED brake and turn signals to save some power. Or even slapping a gel battery on it to run a decent headlight during the night and allow whatever charging system the bike has to "trickle" charge the battery during the day/off road.

Also anyone have any ideas on springs for the CR front end I have? I'd like to graft it onto the bike for the 21" front, Hyd disc brakes, and better forks.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #49
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kawasaki
Cool looking bikes.

I'd give my left nut for that tank.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #50
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgrain
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have to buy that bike. Hoo-ah!
You'll love it and don't worry about the thing about parts being expensive, that is why EBAY exists! XL500Rs are a blast to ride and the longer you own it the more you'll want to keep it. Just learn the XR/XL starting drill and it'll be in your garage for 11dehundred years!
Old 12-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #51
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by patracy
Anyone have any info on how to wire up lights on this bike? From what I gather it only has a 6V system. I wouldn't mind running LED brake and turn signals to save some power. Or even slapping a gel battery on it to run a decent headlight during the night and allow whatever charging system the bike has to "trickle" charge the battery during the day/off road.

Also anyone have any ideas on springs for the CR front end I have? I'd like to graft it onto the bike for the 21" front, Hyd disc brakes, and better forks.
If you want a scan of the wiring diagram for a 1979 model, PM your email address to me, and I will send it as an attachment.

As for the 21" wheel, you might want check out what that will do to your steering geometry. Period articles said that going to the 23 incher was not as simple as just changing wheels. They said that the geometry had to be changed to make it handle properly. I am guessing that using the 21 without changing anything else will be much like raising the forks in the clamps.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #52
patracy
Broken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle
If you want a scan of the wiring diagram for a 1979 model, PM your email address to me, and I will send it as an attachment.

As for the 21" wheel, you might want check out what that will do to your steering geometry. Period articles said that going to the 23 incher was not as simple as just changing wheels. They said that the geometry had to be changed to make it handle properly. I am guessing that using the 21 without changing anything else will be much like raising the forks in the clamps.
I've got a XR600 front end I hope to win on ebay now. It's a bolt on job from what I found out.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #53
patracy
Broken...

OY!

Found out why it didn't smoke like all the other XL's I've heard about. Something to do with it only having about 1/2 a quart of oil! I changed the oil and started it up. What a smokeshow! It put out more smoke than I can make with my SS' back tires! So it looks like I'll be doing the top end while I've got it apart to fix first gear. (That and the valve cover leaks like crazy!)

Anyone know the cheapest place to get a complete gasket set, piston, valve seals and guides?

Old 12-22-2006, 11:13 AM   #54
WestRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
What a deal....

That's a great deal for a great bike. I've got an '80 XL500s that I'm just starting on the rebuild. I used to ride this thing and finally picked it up from my uncle when he couldn't kick start it anymore. I've been collecting parts for several years and am just now tearing into it. Mine needed shocks, headlight bucket and bracket, speedometer, cables, tail light, turn signals, and a pipe and tons of small stuff. I found most of the stuff on ebay but picked up the pipe new from David Silver Spares in GB. It's a BSM pipe so I have no idea yet how loud it will be. Original pipe is rusted out and any decent ones from ebay were outrageously priced. Kinda like trying to find a pipe for my SL70...but I finally did!

BTW...the springs are easily shot on this bike and I notice in the WPS (Western Power Sports) catalog that you can buy replacement shocks for it. Works makes them too but they're really expensive...like more than the bike's worth! I may also go with some progressive springs in the forks...too many projects...

I'm trying to get this XL fixed up to complement my big Strom and it's my winter project. I probably have some duplicates in parts by now and i've been researching replacement stuff so pm me if you need something and can't find it.

I've kicked the idea of turning mine into a SM but for now I'm just going to get it mostly back to original...pipe excluded...and get it back on the road for some spring rides.

Good luck!!
2005 TW200...wife's bike
1977 CT90...an original adventure bike
WestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #55
patracy
Broken...

I actually like it what little I've been able to ride it. I can flat foot it no problem and it has ground clearance with the tires. I've been calling around, looks like I can rebuild the engine with new gaskets and a piston, fix the transmission, and replace the chain/sprockets, and fix a few other little things and still have less than 500 in the whole thing. HMMM.....

Old 12-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #56
patracy
Broken...

Instead of mucking up this thread with a bunch of pics. I've started another one about my current rebuild.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3798061

Old 12-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #57
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Nice motard xl500 on supermotojunkie notice drum front and back. Guy that did it did his own powdercoating.
Attached Images

pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #58
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerDave
Honda did have the XL500R here in 1982. I have one and you're right, it is an orphan bike....uses some XL500 parts and some XL600 parts....still a very nice riding bike!
Me too.

Course...mine's in bits
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #59
Takiasen
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb 82 Xl500r

I also got one of these one year bastard bikes. Cam pitting is a problem. Had the cam reprofiled and followers hard faced by megacyclecams. Supertrapp with 12 discs, street legal assault bike! Top end oil leak is usually due to stripped out threads, had to put 3 heli-coils in mine, along with a metal head gasket instead of the cheesy factory one.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/takiasen/82xl500r/
Takiasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #60
patracy
Broken...

I need some help with my VIN. I'll be tagging my XL in a couple of weeks. The frame has the continuation of the VIN stamped into it starting with the letter P. However it's only 14 digits. On the tag of the neck theres a J at the beginning. The letters/numbers between are rubbed off it. I believe the first couple of characters in the VIN show manufacture, year, and model? Does anyone know what they'd be for my bike?