User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
sherco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Help! V Strom Turn Signal Replacement

I'm trying to replace my broken DL1000 LF turn signal but I can't get the wire connector un-coupled. Is there a tab, clip, or catch that has to be lifted, pushed, pulled or pryed to get the male/female connector to release. It's located way up in the fairing, so I'm working mostly by the braile method and I don't want to screw something up by using brute force. There is a small rectangular tab on the male plug of the replacement so I figure this is what locks into the female but what makes it release? Vstroms crash and break turn signals all the time so I figure there has to be someone out there who has experience unhooking these wires. Give me a holler.........thanks
sherco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,807
It's a clip type thing.
If you take a small flathead screwdriver you should be able to release the little catch.

Are you replacing your stock signals with flush mounts?
Old 04-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
ajb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
yep on the tab

It took me about 20 min to figure out. You can use a finger to release it. One side of the connector has a long tab just lift up and you got it. The damn thing drove me nuts until I found that tab.
ajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
I had no problems egtting it apart, but trying to get it back together and not remove the plastic took a few fancy four letter words

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb
It took me about 20 min to figure out. You can use a finger to release it. One side of the connector has a long tab just lift up and you got it. The damn thing drove me nuts until I found that tab.

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
sherco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I was in Key West after Bike Week and had a low speed drop---i was completely sober -- and didn't put a mark on the bike but broke the signal and skinned up my knees. Replaced it with a stock one for $31 ( complete assy). I rode from Key West straight thru to Charleston SC - about 800 mi. When I got home I told my wife my ass was really sore-----Key West---sore ass---skinned up knees------wait a minute! That doesn't sound right.

I keep my bike at my sister's house and I haven't had a chance to go there and try out the suggestions I've gotten on how to release this wire connection.
sherco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,807
Next time you drop it, and there will be a next time, get some flush mounts. $20 for a set and you'll not have to worry about it again. DAMHIK