bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFekete
sent you an email back...

thanks,
A
Didn't get it yet.Will send a PM to you with my e-mail address.
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #17
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereahorn
Didn't get it yet.Will send a PM to you with my e-mail address.
email me at ride@adventurersworkshop.com

thanks,
A
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #18
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,886
so far my Stebel would still blast the paint off a white van if it gets too close for comfort ...

... but I also wanted to take a moment and say, "Bloody good show old chap!" to Andrew for offering such amazing aftersales service. It's not too often these days we see vendors taking such an ethicaly strong position.

I haven't bought a single item yet from Adventurers' Workshop - but this is the kind of customer service story that makes sure I will.

- Bull
Ayrshire Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #19
Lafitte
on the lake

Oddometer: 437
stebel

had mine for several months ..... installed using relay , triggered by stock BMW horn wires , hot wired direct(fused) to batt. NO PROBLEMS.... use mostly to signal the old lady that I'm home in the driveway soes she can raise the garage door for me. Oh yeah, all she does is hit the garage door opener button.Got her well trained.
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #20
Lafitte
on the lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte
had mine for several months ..... installed using relay , triggered by stock BMW horn wires , hot wired direct(fused) to batt. NO PROBLEMS.... use mostly to signal the old lady that I'm home in the driveway soes she can raise the garage door for me. Oh yeah, all she does is hit the garage door opener button.Got her well trained.
p.s .......do biz w/ this guy ...he's good.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:23 AM   #21
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Hello Andrew--Sent you an e-mail regarding same.
+2
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #22
NJ_Bob
Occasional Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
I have a Stebel (I might have even purchased it from your good selves - I forget). I installed mine using the supplied relay but I was wondering how NOT using the relay will but it up much faster than by using it.

Just curioius.
If you don't supply it with enough current, it won't work correctly. Heavy wire and soldered connections are both a good idea for these horns.

I have had mine for about 2 years now - I think... and no problems.
Bob Naumann - W5OV - Sachse, TX - K1300GT - IBA #19100
NJ_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #23
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFekete
email me at ride@adventurersworkshop.com

thanks,
A
Andrew,I still haven't received an answer to the e-mail I sent you re the horn. Did the message get to you?Thanks.John O'Leary
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #24
sti_rx7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Forget about expensive Stebel horns!!!! Go to your local auto parts store and buy some cheaper. The ones made by Wolo are supposed to be the same ones as the Fiamms only with different coloring and labels. They are trumpet shaped and I've replace all my bikes horns with these. They are loud as anything out there. I like to low tone because sound like a semi horn. Everybody jumps when they hear this I can't imagine two of these paired up. I never ran a relay or separate fuse and so far worked great on my BMW's, KLR, FJR, Cagiva and have one sitting in the garage waiting for the KTM 950. Cost about $12.
sti_rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #25
Lafitte
on the lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Bob
If you don't supply it with enough current, it won't work correctly. Heavy wire and soldered connections are both a good idea for these horns.

Right... I have another power outlet wired direct to batt and mounted on beak . This is where I picked up the 12V hot to power the stebel ...loud mutha... love it. Andrew is a stand up guy in my book .IF you are having problems , may have over engineered your installation or cheaped-out and didn't use the relay and a direct to batt 12V source.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #26
bigrichard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Even I can see that not supplying enough current might keep it from producing max sound but how does that "burn it up much faster"?
bigrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #27
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrichard
Even I can see that not supplying enough current might keep it from producing max sound but how does that "burn it up much faster"?
undervoltage on a motor will cause it to lug and build heat, destrying the windings.

That said, if sounds like the above horn died from dust ingestion, blowing the pump seals or valves. That's why Stebel started sending air filters. They only get rain in EU, no dust to worry about.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #28
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,713
Quote:

I agree with your comment regarding sufficiant current etc. but I am still curious as to how using a relay affects the operation (and more specifically, how not using a relay aids in the horn going tits-up) of the horn.

The relay is simply a switch allowing you to use, for example, the original horn switch to activate the relay which in turn then supplies power to the horn. If you use the same gauge wire etc. to supply power to the horn using both a relay or direct, how does the relay affect the longevity of the horn ?

Cheers.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #29
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Voltage at the horn equals battery voltage minus resistance loss in wire and switch (both go up with the current drawn).

With the relay, you should have maybe two feet TOTAL wire in the hot path, plus the contact loss in the relay (small). Even if you run the same guage wire to the horn switch you have way more wire, plus the contacts in the horn switch aren't rated for the current the Stebel pulls. You are probably lucky if the horn goes first--it is cheaper to replace than the LH controls!!
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #30
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,554
typically, you use a relay so that a small current through a switch (in this case, the horn button) controls a larger current through the relay circuit. As R_W points out, running a larger current though a switch than it is rated for will toast the switch and perhaps the wiring as well.

Same reason why you want to use a relay with auxilary lights...small current goes through the switch, large current/large wiring for the lights. Relays and fuses are cheap, switches are not, wiring fires are very expensive.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote