Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #61
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,589
just looked at my factory wiring diagram for the 1150, yes, there is a horn relay. No idea what kind of current that circuit is sized for, so I'd go with a separate relay if you're installing an air horn to protect the switch and exisiting wiring and relay, not to mention assuring that you get enough juice to the horn.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #62
bigrichard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by def
I suspect the 7.5 fuse protects the relay coil circuit, horn switch and associated wiring, not the load circuit. But, this is easy to check with a VOM.
bigrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #63
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,589
easy to check with a big horn: it the circuit burns out, then you were right

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #64
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,226
FWIW...My relay fried when the bike sat for 2 months..Less than 5k miles on the bike. Replaced the $3.00 relay and all is fine.
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #65
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Next thing you're gonna complain about is that it doesn't work on obsolete Italian motorcycles like a Cagiva or something!

sorry your having troubles with your horn... Mine still scares me on my Austrian POS bike everytime I hit the button!!

Rick

PS... I'm getting ready to put one of these on my Centauro... 'cause I can!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash412
The sucker is D-E-A-D. The horn SUCKS, it does not blow. A tuba player with emphasema makes more noise. I hereby declare the Stebel Nautilus a BIG WASTE OF MONEY. I am going to replace it with Framm knock-offs from Harbor Freight. They cost less than a quarter the money, are nearly as loud and last at least ten times as long.

Anybody else put one on six months or so ago have it turn into a wheezer, too? Or is it just me?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:27 AM   #66
robbyrd03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Stebel Horn - proper install advised

After installing a Stebel Nautilus myself i keep wondering about some of the posts.
If you have a look at the manual of the Stebel it says 20A and 2,5 mm˛ cable to be used with the relay.
There is a reason for this. If you take a look at your motorbike electrics you will see that there is usually no spare 2,5mm˛ wire, or an existing wire that could take that amount of current. So: take a 2,5mm˛ wire, connect it directly to the battery (put the fuse next to the + pole) run it from there to the relay and then to the Horn (use the original horn wiring to activate the relais).
Damage your hearing permanently by trying the horn. Remember 20A at 12V means 240W output. No, a 1,5 or 0,75mm˛ will not do, yes 20A is more than enough to make a damaged or undersized cable glow red. I also made some pictures: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163221
robbyrd03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #67
GPECustoms
n00b

Oddometer: 2
It's just you.

Quote:
The sucker is D-E-A-D. The horn SUCKS, it does not blow. A tuba player with emphasema makes more noise. I hereby declare the Stebel Nautilus a BIG WASTE OF MONEY. I am going to replace it with Framm knock-offs from Harbor Freight. They cost less than a quarter the money, are nearly as loud and last at least ten times as long.

Anybody else put one on six months or so ago have it turn into a wheezer, too? Or is it just me?
I dont know where you got the idea that the horns at HF are Framms (they make oil filters) or that they last ten times as long. You might have been thinking of Fiamms, but actually, unless they are Chinese knock-offs, they are made by Stebel and renamed and repackaged.

How 'bout I send you a new Stebel Compact Nautilus and help you install it properly. If it meets or exceeds your expectations, you can either keep it and delete this thread, or return it to us at our expense.
GPECustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 AM   #68
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPECustoms
I dont know where you got the idea that the horns at HF are Framms (they make oil filters) or that they last ten times as long. You might have been thinking of Fiamms, but actually, unless they are Chinese knock-offs, they are made by Stebel and renamed and repackaged.

How 'bout I send you a new Stebel Compact Nautilus and help you install it properly. If it meets or exceeds your expectations, you can either keep it and delete this thread, or return it to us at our expense.
The original post was made almost three years ago, and back then, there were some QC issues with the Compact.

It's a good horn, and priced well, but it does have some drawbacks, and the horn as it's packaged lends itself to bad installations.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #69
jskene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I've had my Stebel for a few years now and it works great. It's extremely LOUD. I recommend it.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #70
ThreeNose
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPECustoms

Welcome to the forum...I guess.

Here's the company site with images and sound
http://www.stebel.it

ThreeNose screwed with this post 04-07-2009 at 06:46 PM
ThreeNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #71
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak
The original post was made almost three years ago, and back then, there were some QC issues with the Compact.

It's a good horn, and priced well, but it does have some drawbacks, and the horn as it's packaged lends itself to bad installations.
Been using mine for over 3 years now.

Not one problem yet.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #72
LowAdvRider
Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer: 131
They don't suck...

I installed mine at the beginning of '06. Still works like new. I did install it as instructed. Also, I put in a small piece of filter foam made to be used as a prefilter on a riding lawn mower air filter. Just shoved it in. Didn't make it any quieter, but keeps bugs and bigger crap out of the suction. Has worked for me for a long time. Just don't use the horn in your garage to let your SO know you are back from a ride. It will hurt your ears and piss her off....
Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #73
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,891
I'm putting one on my F650GS this week.

I've been spoiled with a good horn on the GL1800.

GPEC: That's putting your money where your mouth is.

I hear you- this is a three year old thread, but it made me think twice about spending the money for a Stebel. However, they seem to keep making them and I hear good things- so I'm going to try one.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #74
AKStrom
Just call me 'Magellan'

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
I think it's you, Flash. You're cursed.

For the better part of 2 years, I had one mounted down at the bend of the left frame rail on my 84 Sabre 1100. Horn was pointed forward and to the inside, directly where the tire would've thrown stuff into the horn. No problems with it.

Commuting in the Seattle rain and post-winter road-schmutz to no ill effect.

Hell, for that matter Erston was the one that installed it for me. We fabricated a mount for it out of Al stock right there in his old seat shop.

You and TOTB going to be able to make it up for the Gather this year?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #75
hbaden00
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Stebel nautilus compact horn installation

I have an sv 650 1st generation. Looking to replace excising horn hopefully in the same place but not sure if that is the best place. I was wondering has anyone separated the compressor from the horn and if so any suggestions on how to do so without breaking the horn.

Howard
hbaden00 is offline   Reply With Quote