Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #76
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaden00
I have an sv 650 1st generation. Looking to replace excising horn hopefully in the same place but not sure if that is the best place. I was wondering has anyone separated the compressor from the horn and if so any suggestions on how to do so without breaking the horn.

Howard
I know I've seen this, either here or F650.com, so do a search. The compressor and horn can be connected with a hose.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #77
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Mounted correctly (vertical like it says in the instructions) and so that water and bugs can't fly up the horn? If your bike vibrates or is ridden off-road is it protected from being shaken/vibrated to hell and from being smashed when the bike is dropped?

Correct relay? -nothing will burn up a device like this like improper voltage from under-sized wires and switching.

I see more than half of all Stebels out there mounted in the incorrect orientation. Whenever I hear someone badmouthing these horns I take it with a grain of salt. Mine's been working perfectly for over 3 years now. Love it.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #78
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
I see more than half of all Stebels out there mounted in the incorrect orientation. Whenever I hear someone badmouthing these horns I take it with a grain of salt. Mine's been working perfectly for over 3 years now. Love it.
Agreed. On more than one occasion, and in more than one forum, I've posted pictures and suggestions (using my own installation experiences as an example) regarding the correct wiring and orientation of the Nautilus. I was frankly surprised at the amount of negative feedback received. Folks would insist that the horn can be safely mounted sideways - i.e., horizontally - and/or with no protection afforded to the intake or horn bell. And as for the need for eavier wiring, a relay, and perhaps use of the Eastern Beaver harness? Feh! They were right and that was that.

Some people you just can't reach.

TM
Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #79
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man
Agreed. On more than one occasion, and in more than one forum, I've posted pictures and suggestions (using my own installation experiences as an example) regarding the correct wiring and orientation of the Nautilus. I was frankly surprised at the amount of negative feedback received. Folks would insist that the horn can be safely mounted sideways - i.e., horizontally - and/or with no protection afforded to the intake or horn bell. And as for the need for eavier wiring, a relay, and perhaps use of the Eastern Beaver harness? Feh! They were right and that was that.

Some people you just can't reach.

TM
Yeah, you can't reach them or explain to them why it is not going to work in the long run.

If not installed propery the horn might work great for a while, or even a season or two. But in the long run, the manufacturer's reasons for specifying that the horn be mounted in a particular orientation will become apparent.

And the wiring issue is pretty big. The inrush current of the Stebel horn is amazing. It's way up there. It's enough to damage and degrade the stock undersized wiring and the wimpy horn button contacts. The supplied relay does a fine job handling the load (I believe it is a standard 30A tab-mountable SPST automotive relay) but the feed wiring to the horn should be a dedicated run of a MINIMUM of #14AWG wire, fused at the battery at 20A and run to a GOOD ground point.

The connections at the relay should be the proper crimp connectors (I believe it is a 1/4" spade) and a proper crimp tool should be used when making this crimp. Using anti-oxidant grease in the stake-on and in the crimp itself will ensure that the connection stays low-impedance for years to come and doesn't contribute to a voltage drop problem. Using anti-ox grease at all electrical connections is a good idea and will nip electrical issues that might crop up anywhere in the bud before they develop.

I do not recommend soldering directly to the relay itself as all relays are expendable comoddities and have a limited service lifetime. In normal operation the horn should outlast the relay many times. Soldering will make it difficult/impossible to replace the relay in the field and may damage the relay itself because of the heat if you are not an experienced solder-gun jockey.

Many people don't understand electricity or feel they can use heavy-gauge wire in one part of the circuit and cheap out with some phone wire to the ground. A circuit is just that -circular, and it is only as strong as its weakest length.

I'm not an electrical engineer, or even play one on TV. But I can say that I do get paid to fix their mistakes...

Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #80
peter-reebok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
3 yrs on

3 yrs on, and my stebel works like new.
Dont know what the fuss is about. - I do about 25,000 klm per year on my bike, and ride every day, all weather.
peter-reebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #81
GPECustoms
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaden00
I have an sv 650 1st generation. Looking to replace excising horn hopefully in the same place but not sure if that is the best place. I was wondering has anyone separated the compressor from the horn and if so any suggestions on how to do so without breaking the horn.

Howard
Howard - the trumpet and the compressor can be separated and mounted in different places. You'll need to connect the two pieces with a piece of plastic tubing (like aquarium hose). The compressor still needs to be mounted +/- 15 degrees of vertical since it is piston driven. The two pieces are a little tricky to separate and there's a good chance that you'll break the retaining tab that connects them. That wont affect the functioning at all.

Let me know if I can help.

Philip
www.GPECustoms.com
GPECustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #82
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPECustoms
Howard - the trumpet and the compressor can be separated and mounted in different places. You'll need to connect the two pieces with a piece of plastic tubing (like aquarium hose). The compressor still needs to be mounted +/- 15 degrees of vertical since it is piston driven. The two pieces are a little tricky to separate and there's a good chance that you'll break the retaining tab that connects them. That wont affect the functioning at all.

Let me know if I can help.

Philip
www.GPECustoms.com
Pic of separated compressor and horn: HERE

I mounted the feedhorn so that the opening points toward the bike in order to minimize debris/water entering from the road.

18,000+ miles and still going. Used it twice in past 10 days to save my bacon from inattentive cagers.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #83
Burgh'r Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Nautilus Sucks, but Magnum Blows, Hard

I bought the Nautilus for my R12GS. Due to the extremely tight installation tolerances (too close to forks, brake lines, etc.), I bagged it. Instead, I installed it on my cage, using the relay, and heavy guage wire from Battery. Even that install was tough due to its weight and mounting bolt location. Sounds like an ice cream truck or clown mobile. I am not impressed. I also think the slight delay in getting it to toot (due to the internal compressor) is extremely undesirable for any vehicle, but especially for a motorcycle where time is critical. As for the R12GS, I instead bought a Stebel Magnum from Pirates Lair(excellent service) for I thnk $43(includes 2-day shipping), and installed it on my r12gs with no hassel at all, no relays or extra wires needed, and the damn thing sounds off like a mother, with no delay. Very pleased with the Magnum . It's amazing, how some of the inmates almost enjoy making things more difficult for themselves (ie; finding a problem for an solution that doesn't exist).
Burgh'r Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #84
T748
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Burgh'r Boy- If your getting a delay, somethings wrong. I've got this horn on two bikes and both work instantly, not even the slightest delay. The horn does sound a little "euro" but, it does get attention.
I've personally never had a failure with the Stebel, this is the 4th year running. -Tom.
T748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #85
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T748
The horn does sound a little "euro" but, it does get attention.
"euro" is a good word for it. I'd call it a little too "fruity" as in "tooty-fruity" but you can't say it isn't LOUD. I'd like it to sound a bit more dissonant instead of a perfectly consonant and perfectly in tune interval with the two notes.

It's almost a pretty little tooty-fruity note at a bit too high of a frequency. the higher frequency is a function of it being VERY small and compact. To get a lower note the horns would have to be bigger/longer. But they could have tuned the two notes to be clashing and dissonant where it sounded angry instead of a happy euro-fruity perfect harmonious duo of notes.

But you can't say it isn't LOUD.

Mine comes on instantly and is VERY loud. I think Burgh'r Boy has a bad connection and/or too small of a gauge of wire run over too long of a distance if this is happening. A high-impedance circuit is going to cause significant voltage drop at the current draw that the Stebel will pull and will certainly cause the exact issues he is complaining about.

Bigger wire and/or cleaned up connections will most certainly help.

Mine turns on nearly instantly as well. The time it takes to pull in the relay and spin up the compressor is almost imperceptible -less than 1/100th of a second I would guess.

Oh, and it is LOUD -did I mention that part? -Wish it wasn't so "euro"

Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #86
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,351
I went through 2 of them before giving up on them. My first one broke off the mount on my R1200GS at about 70mph on the freeway after running over a 2x4 that was unavoidable. I'm sure off roading had weakened the mount previously.

The 2nd one just plain died. It also smoked the relay and I at first thought that was the problem. I replaced the relay and the fuse and it smoked them again.

I ended up just using a R1200RT low horn. Its about twice as loud as the GS horn and maybe half as loud as the Stebel. It does not need a relay and is plug and play with the CANBUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #87
Burgh'r Boy
Adventurer

I guess I overstated the delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by T748
Burgh'r Boy- If your getting a delay, somethings wrong. I've got this horn on two bikes and both work instantly, not even the slightest delay. The horn does sound a little "euro" but, it does get attention.
I've personally never had a failure with the Stebel, this is the 4th year running. -Tom.
Like VFR Firefly said, the delay is ever so slight. That was the least of my problems. I have a 3 ft. run from the battery on a 16 guage wire with a 15amp fuse. As the fuse doesn't blow, I'm not drawing more than 15 amps, so I don't think it's for lack of power that this thing sounds somewhat anemic, but more . It's probably the tone that doesn't come across bold and commanding. I'm no symphonic resonance expert like VRF Firefly , but this thing sounds rather comical . The Stebel Magnum, now that sounds sorta like a barge coming at you.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #88
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh'r Boy
Like VFR Firefly said, the delay is ever so slight. That was the least of my problems. I have a 3 ft. run from the battery on a 16 guage wire with a 15amp fuse. As the fuse doesn't blow, I'm not drawing more than 15 amps, so I don't think it's for lack of power that this thing sounds somewhat anemic, but more . It's probably the tone that doesn't come across bold and commanding. I'm no symphonic resonance expert like VRF Firefly , but this thing sounds rather comical . The Stebel Magnum, now that sounds sorta like a barge coming at you.
16AWG is MUCH too small for the stebel. The Starting current of an electrical motor is somewhere from 6-12 times the Full Load Amperage -that will be at the high end for a cheaper mass-produced mini-motor like that used for the compressor on the stebel. Let's just say 10x for shits and grins. the 15A x 10 = 150-ISH amps of startup current. Not enough to blow a fuse, but enough to cause serious voltage drop and a lack of power getting to the compressor at first. Even at 6x there is at least 100A of startup current on that little tiny motor! A tiny 16AWG wire is just too little. A #14 is more like it and I'd go with a #12 if you even SUSPECT that the motor is having a hard time getting up to speed.

You definintly have an issue with undersized wire.

I'm not an Electrical Engineer -but I do get paid pretty good money to fix their mistakes out in the field.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #89
Burgh'r Boy
Adventurer

ReWired For Sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
16AWG is MUCH too small for the stebel. The Starting current of an electrical motor is somewhere from 6-12 times the Full Load Amperage -that will be at the high end for a cheaper mass-produced mini-motor like that used for the compressor on the stebel. Let's just say 10x for shits and grins. the 15A x 10 = 150-ISH amps of startup current. Not enough to blow a fuse, but enough to cause serious voltage drop and a lack of power getting to the compressor at first. Even at 6x there is at least 100A of startup current on that little tiny motor! A tiny 16AWG wire is just too little. A #14 is more like it and I'd go with a #12 if you even SUSPECT that the motor is having a hard time getting up to speed.

You definintly have an issue with undersized wire.

I'm not an Electrical Engineer -but I do get paid pretty good money to fix their mistakes out in the field.
I'm no Electric Engr either, but I did stay @ a Holiday Inn Express last night .
I think you overstated the undersized wiring issue. Last night, I installed a 12Ga wire from Battery to the power input on the Relay (not the relay activation power, but the power through line). Results? I think the horn is louder, but I can't really tell for sure. It's not that noticeable a difference. Bottom line is I think the tone of the Stebel Magnum is more commanding and just as loud as the Nautilus. I'll stick with the Magnum. I still think Nautilus sucks, but Magnums Blow, Hard!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #90
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh'r Boy
I'm no Electric Engr either, but I did stay @ a Holiday Inn Express last night .
I think you overstated the undersized wiring issue. Last night, I installed a 12Ga wire from Battery to the power input on the Relay (not the relay activation power, but the power through line). Results? I think the horn is louder, but I can't really tell for sure. It's not that noticeable a difference. Bottom line is I think the tone of the Stebel Magnum is more commanding and just as loud as the Nautilus. I'll stick with the Magnum. I still think Nautilus sucks, but Magnums Blow, Hard!
I agree with the tone. It's loud, but it is too euro-fruity. The two notes are perfectly in tune and have zero dissonance with each other. It's almost musically sweet even though it is loud. It needs to be coarse and dissonant so that you can hear them being out of tune and ANGRY!

The Nautilus doesn't sound angry at all. It sounds euro-fruity.

At the very least, upgrading to #12 wire will be much better on the life of the compressor. Starting a motor at low voltage (from voltage drop) is very hard on it. I think this is one of the major issues why some horns don't last very long -that and moisture but the unit is fairly well built to account for that.