Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
ztsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Dirt Cheep Saddle Bags & Panniers

Howdy,

I’ve heard people talking about using DOG bags on their bike for cheap luggage. Well, seems to me that a horse is closer to a bike than a dog... I found these and they look interesting...

Nylon Horn Bags - Tank Panniers???

Measures 8 1/2” x 8 1/2" with a 3 1/2” gusset. $9.95

Nylon Saddle Bags

Roomy 11” x 14” storage with 4 1/2” gusset $11.95

For someone on a serious budget... Luggage for $22 with 30.3 L cap.

==================================
Then there's the delux version: 84.5 L cap.

Canvas Saddle & Cantle Bag

Cantle bag is 27" x 12" x 8" deep. Saddle bags are 16" x 12" with 7" gussets. Heavy #10 canvas material, zipper closures, 4 nylon tie straps. $49.95

ztsd screwed with this post 05-11-2006 at 08:26 AM
ztsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer: 316
If it works for you, why not. Can't expect or loose much at the price.

MJStone
Bokrijder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
MWM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
The saddle bags look like they'd fit a GS tank nicely.
MWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
DRxDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
And....they come packed full of OATS. wayne
DRxDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
mikeyb
Just some guy

Oddometer: 505
Looks like the horn bag will fit nicely over my tank.
I just ordered one.
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
ztsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb
I just ordered one.
Yeah, at those prices, I couldn’t resist. I ordered the full set, saddlebag, horn bag and cantle bag. By my calculations they have a little over 40 liters of combined space.

3-Piece Saddle Bag Set (HBK10BLACK) $27.95

Shipping Total: $5.95
Grand Total: $33.90

That’s about the price of a pair of gloves!
========================

Man, this site is fun! Some other things there that caught my eye...

Day trip cooler...

Insulated Saddle Bag Insert $11

Need a place to store cold drinks, foods, and other items for the trail? This insulated insert turns any saddlebag into a soft-sided cooler! Tough, pliable insulated bag can be inserted into almost any saddlebag (won’t fit the small horn bags) for an instant warm or cold keeper. No more lukewarm soft drinks or mushy sandwiches. Keeps items within easy reach. Insert is a roomy 10” x 11” – large enough to pack plenty of picnic foods and other things you need to store on the trail.
========================

Not only will this carry long items (tent poles?) but also will freak out the Police!

Cordura Scoped Rifle Scabbard $30

Ultimate, padded Cordura scabbard with a snapped flap. Comes complete with two 3/4" leather straps that wrap completely around the scabbard. Designed to hold bolt and lever action rifles with up to 26” barrel lengths and scopes.
========================

Never saw one of these either...

Canvas Bed Roll $70

Made from 14.73 oz. cotton canvas, not only will this keep your sleeping bag clean and dry, but it also will add warmth. Comes with nylon straps. Measures 93" long by 42" wide. Sleeping bag NOT Included.
========================

Now if your going “the long way round” or just using your bike to move your belongings, I guess you’d need this. A whopping 157 liter pannier...

Heavy-Duty Pack Pannier Set $150

This Large Canvas Pannier Set is constructed from No. 4 canvas. Pack bags come complete with flap closures on the ends. Each bag measures 26"x18"x 101/2". Web reinforced. Heavy-duty 1" leather straps.
========================

Monkey Butt?

NewBreed Secure-Ride Seat Cushion $16.95

Not only does this cushion provide extra cushion but because it is made from the famous NewBreed™ material, it provides unbelievable seat “stickyness”. There is essentially no way for you to slip around in your saddle seat when you use this seat cover. The secure feel in your saddle provides an excellent ride. To clean this saddle seat cushion simply hose off or wipe clean with a damp cloth.
========================

Surgical Gel Seat Cushion $36.95

If your comfort is the most important, it is hard to beat a genuine surgical gel cushion to absorb saddle shock and to relieve pressure points in your saddle seat. Special, secure-fit saddle attachment features an elastic strap with Velcro® that runs underneath the length of the saddle. Designed for 15"-17" seat sizes.
========================

Easy Rider Aussie Pad w/Bags $50

This pad is made from a soft, absorbent, and durable double fleece and is fitted with a pair of saddlebags for handy use. Keep needed items close at hand including first aid kits, lunch, maps, cell phones, etc. Each bag measures 10” wide x 8” tall with 3” gussets. Pad measures 28” x 46” wide to fit under all Aussie saddles. Sweat flap strap helps keep the pad and saddle together. Natural colored fleece with black trim.
========================

Proactive Theft Protection?

Battery Powered Portable Fence Charger $40

Works great for your portable corral needs. Powered by two D-cell batteries (not included). Includes a mounting stake which makes for easy installation when driven into the ground. 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty. Up to 1-mile range under ideal conditions. 3 Volt output.
========================

Your bike doesn’t have a cup holder?

Saddle Horn Drink Holder $12.95

Keep drinks close at hand on your next ride. Made from the finest top grain leather. Slips over any saddle horn and will hold up to 20 oz. soft drink bottles or 12 oz. cans. Complete with bottom tie strap to secure the holder to your saddle.
========================
Hmmm... Would this work?

Saddle Slicker $18

Protects you AND your saddle from the elements The extra-special styling and design makes this heavy slicker a must-have for any rider. Keeps you and the saddle dry while riding. Great to wear in the stable or pasture, too, when the weather doesn’t cooperate. Heavy 12 oz. nylon, reinforced on both sides with vinyl, makes this slicker both water- and wind-proof. Don’t worry about the durability—it’s tear, puncture, and chemical resistant. Handy covered pocket on the outside and one inside pocket. Snaps along the lower leg prevent wind flapping.
========================

Hope you enjoy looking at some fun stuff.

I suppose I should put in the standard disclaimer... “I have no connection with this company other than placing the order described. And, since I have not purchased the above items and tested them I make no recommendations for their quality or safety for use on a motorcycle...”

Tom D.

ztsd screwed with this post 04-09-2006 at 09:04 AM
Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
mountainGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Those are some great options, very innovative application of equestrian paraphernalia. Be careful you don’t suck a saddlebag into your rear wheel thought. I saw it happen once and the guy went down pretty hard.

mountainGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
ztsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainGS
Those are some great options, very innovative application of equestrian paraphernalia. Be careful you don’t suck a saddlebag into your rear wheel thought. I saw it happen once and the guy went down pretty hard.
I thought so... Gives a new meaning to the term “Iron Horse.”

Yeah, that’s on my mind... Heck, guess that would apply to any motorcycle soft bags that don’t have a frame...

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
RECON
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
Where do you put the cinch strap?

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:31 AM   #10
ztsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink Cinch ya asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECON
Where do you put the cinch strap?
Ya have to be careful with the cinch strap. Too far back and the front wheel will be in the air all the time and your bike will try to buck you off... I’d say midway between the power bands and the muffler bearings...
Old 04-04-2006, 04:54 AM   #11
NordicRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Security, too...

...to stop your bike disappearing in the night :

Ultimate Picket Line Kit

1991 Honda XL600V TransAlp - "all year - all road"

NordicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:02 AM   #12
ztsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicRider
...to stop your bike disappearing in the night :

Ultimate Picket Line Kit
Ah, yes! For those group rides in Mexico! Also keeps the bikes from wandering away looking for gas...
Old 04-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
new1100GS
Banned by Request

Oddometer: 75
mikeyb's horn bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb
I just ordered one.
Hay, mikey, when you get it please let us know if it looks like it will scratch your tank. Thanks.
new1100GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #14
RECON
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztsd
Ya have to be careful with the cinch strap. Too far back and the front wheel will be in the air all the time and your bike will try to buck you off... I’d say midway between the power bands and the muffler bearings...

I think you're on to something! Maybe that's why my strom bucked me off a couple times!

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
ztsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cry Cinch pinch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECON

I think you're on to something! Maybe that's why my strom bucked me off a couple times!
Well, in your case it sounds like ya had the cinch pinching the spring nuts. That will definitely cause bucking... And bring tears to your eyes...