Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
FastEddieB OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
New wheels (yipee!) and tire questions

I just got off the phone with Woody's.

I decided to splurge on a new set of wheels for my '05 950 Adventure.

I went with:

Sun rim (gold) 2.75x19 front
Sun rim (gold) 4.25x17 rear
Tubeless option

Now I need to think about tires.

My goal is to use these wheels for blitzing around the N GA mountain roads this spring and summer with only rare fire trail use. Would also use them for longer trips. Will keep my stock wheels mounted with TKC 80's if I decide to do a predominantly off-road adventure.

Mototodd swears by the Metzeler Tourance for this sort of thing.

Two questions (probably already aksed and answered many times - sorry)

1) What are the recommended tire sizes for these rims?

2) Anyone else feel strongly about other brands for my "mission profile"?

Thanks in advance.

Fast Eddie
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Stout rims for off-road?

You may wish to use the stoutest rims for your off-road excursions. May save you bent rims down the road.
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipOver
You may wish to use the stoutest rims for your off-road excursions. May save you bent rims down the road.
yep, true and if you are having Woody buld a set you should get the bullet proof spokes and nipples and the bullett proof lacing pattern. I know that mine are great and was well worth the money

Woody's is the Best. Don't deal with Buchanons.

04 950A Scoot (Gone but not forgotten)
03 GL1800 Toad

I guess it often comes down to "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". - FastEddieB
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
FE...

Did the same thing not too long ago with very happy results!! Woody's does an excellent job and you'll be most happy!!

I went with the Tourances as that was what I was used to from my GSing days. I've never had any issues with them.

As to sizes (since the bike is not here at the moment ) Just find your local 1150/1200GS fanatic and they'll tell you the correct sizes for the 19/17 setup.

BTW, when I went from stock to the 19/17 setup I also changed my front sprocket back to a 17 for some unknown reason (gut feel). I'm currently running 21/18 with TKC's on the bike from a recent trip to MX and will be switching back in the next couple of days. I'll probably keep the 16 front sprocket on this time just to see if I can keep the front wheel down...

Best of luck!!!

Rick
Franklin, TN
Old 04-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
FastEddieB OP
Studly Adventurer

I can't imagine Woody's would mind me sharing this (all the prices are public on their website anyway.)

The bottom line was kind of a shocker, but I just sold some GS wheels and earned some extra money flight instructing, so what the hell.

A lot cheaper than a new 950SM, after all!

I'll stay with the 16T for now. The "gearing" change going down 1" on the rear should be minimal - but I do have the 17T standing by if the ride seems too "busy".
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
FastEddieB OP
Studly Adventurer

OK, this is what goes on an 1100GS:

Front: 110/80R19
Rear: 150/70R17

One chart said that was for rims that were 2.5"F and 4"R.

Do those sizes make sense for my 1/4" wider rims?

FWIW, it looks like the 150/70R17 is the widest Tourance rear in 17".
Old 04-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
crwmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB
I just got off the phone with Woody's.

I decided to splurge on a new set of wheels for my '05 950 Adventure.

I went with:

Sun rim (gold) 2.75x19 front
Sun rim (gold) 4.25x17 rear
Tubeless option

Now I need to think about tires...

Two questions (probably already aksed and answered many times - sorry)

1) What are the recommended tire sizes for these rims?

Thanks in advance.

Fast Eddie
Eddie,

The safest answer to your question is to go the each tire manufacturer's website. They usually list the rim size compatability. Also check that the tire you pick has the speed rating for your planned useage. The OEM tires have a speed rating which is compatible with the bike's top-end speed. This is probably why the OEMs are tubless tires (to gain the higher speed rating)and with tubes (due to spoked wheels).

Hope this helps.

Mac

"Plans are deliberately indefinite, more to travel than to arrive anywhere." Robert M. Pirsig
crwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
Texmoto1
Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer: 274
Did I hear somewhere that somebody said the tubeless rims were not the best for offroad applications? Hopefully not, since I want a tubeless pair on my 950. Tubes are a pain in the ass! I also heard that the reason no one uses the tubeless type rims that BMW uses (with the spokes going to the outside of the rim), is that BMW holds a patent on them. If thats is the case, I wonder when their patent expires? I have seen them on BMW's since 1994 or so. I have never heard of a patent that lasts 12 YEARS!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #9
Dirkoff
Canyon Rat

Oddometer: 99
Darn, that is one unattractive invoice if you ask me! I could also be wrong!

You know other people can build wheels for you if you get the parts. I am sure you can save couple hundred if you do some dirty work.
Dirkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Woody's prices are great compared to others. That is especially true when you calculate the quality of the work you are getting. You can go elseware and pay less but, you won't like the quality as compared to Woody's. As for tube vs. tubeless. Tubes aren't hard to work on if you just do it a few times and learn the technique. If tubeless was such a great idea in the dirt they would have perfected a wheel for them years ago. JMHO

04 950A Scoot (Gone but not forgotten)
03 GL1800 Toad

I guess it often comes down to "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". - FastEddieB
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
Texmoto1
Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost
Woody's prices are great compared to others. That is especially true when you calculate the quality of the work you are getting. You can go elseware and pay less but, you won't like the quality as compared to Woody's. As for tube vs. tubeless. Tubes aren't hard to work on if you just do it a few times and learn the technique. If tubeless was such a great idea in the dirt they would have perfected a wheel for them years ago. JMHO

Oh believe me, I have worked on my fair share of tube type wheels! What's nice about a tubeless rim is you dont worry much about pinch flats. Just because they have not used them in the past, doesnt mean that someday we wont all be using them on MX bikes etc. Our grand kids will look at us and be amazed that our bikes ran on petroleum, had carburetors, had tubes, and needed oil changes. Technology, good or bad will march forward and I for one wouldnt mind leaving tubes behind.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #12
mlb2332
Fish out of water

Oddometer: 8
All this talk about tubeless has created a question.

Virtually all my experience has been off road, mostly motocross and enduros, and under soft soil conditions, sand, mud etc. we used to run tire pressures in the 8-12 pound range with rim locks or use rims that had pins that stuck into the tire bead when inflated (The pins only worked OK and I would still occasionally tear a bead at lower pressures). This was all to keep the tire from spinning on the rim at lower pressures. In looking at the picture of the new Woody's wheels there does not appear to be any type of mechanism to keep the tire from spinning on the rim.

Question, do any of you guys ever run pressures low enough that spinning the tire on the rim is an issue? With close to 100HP I think it may not even require very low pressure to spin the tire.

Also how low of a pressure can you run with tubeless? I would assume that a "tubed" tire could run lower numbers if needed.

mlb2332 screwed with this post 04-04-2006 at 01:35 PM
mlb2332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #13
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
Attn: noobs w/ questions

Okay, it's really tough to find the answers.
You have actually type the search term into the search box. Oh my god my fingers, my fingers.

Tubeless warning:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=woody%27s
Yeah, from Woody himself.

And here he talks about what size rims for what you gonna do:

and here, again:

Oy, that was hell! Okay, so maybe it never occurred to ya that this has been discussed before, or that Woody posts here, or anything. I'll let you in on a advrider secret: It's all been discussed before.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
As to which tires...

On my old airhead, I rated Tourance tops in all ways, realizing that no tire like that is gonna work very well when things get really soft. Strong carcass, durable tread, excellent grip dry and wet. There might be some newer tire that's better. Dunno. But it would have to be darn good.

Size, as mentioned, is just what oilheads would take.

Reckon those spools with Tourances on'em would make for genuine fun.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #15
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost
yep, true and if you are having Woody buld a set you should get the bullet proof spokes and nipples and the bullett proof lacing pattern. I know that mine are great and was well worth the money

Woody's is the Best. Don't deal with Buchanons.
I have nothing against Woody (he has a nice product, and had provided a good service to many Adv. riders). However, your statment is a bit missleading.

Bullet Proof?
I think Miserygoat had the superlace. He'll have to correct me if I'm wrong.

I ordered just the front rim from Woody (1.85) and laced it my self w/ the stock spokes. Turns out Woody buys the Sun rim from Buchanon, and then shiped it to me. I've nailed some rocks that would have bent the stock rim. The 1.85 Sun has held up well.

Sorry for the hyjack.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote