User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Drifter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,861
GPS KLR Question

I couldn't find any advice on the Equipment threads, so here's a GPS question for the Thumpers. What's the GPS of choice for the KLR folks who explore the maze of forest service roads and want to simply use the TrackBack feature to find your way back? Any particular model that you suggest I take a look at?

Thanks
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:34 AM   #2
-Slider-
New and Improved

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter
I couldn't find any advice on the Equipment threads, so here's a GPS question for the Thumpers. What's the GPS of choice for the KLR folks who explore the maze of forest service roads and want to simply use the TrackBack feature to find your way back? Any particular model that you suggest I take a look at?

Thanks
I use the V for this purpose, Autorouting, TrackBack, etc and Cheap! .

Suits a KLR perfectly.
-Slider- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:53 AM   #3
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,652
If you really want it for the trackback feature ONLY, I'd suggest somthing from the E-trex line. Even the base model E-trex has this feature and can be had for less than $100 usually. I'd suggest at least the Legend model for a few bucks more as it has a map and you can get more detail.

Either way they're small, tough packages and if they fit your needs an excellent choice. The features of the Legend did everything I needed except eventually I wanted more memory and a color screen, otherwise I'd still be using it.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:09 AM   #4
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,284
Not a KLR but a KTM. Here is a shot of my Garmen E-trex Vista in action. I use a Ram mount and the GPS is hard wired so it won't run out of juice when you need it most. Yes that did happen to me. All the quality features, bread crumbs, Topo down load, trip stats, elevation all that stuff but color. Use it in the car as well with no problem - ram mount fits on the cup holder. Check out "thegpsstore.com".
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,036
I have used a Garmin E-trex for a couple of years. They are inexpensive, easy to learn and rugged. I put mine under the clear plastic pocket of my tank bag off to the side of the map.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
Drifter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,861
Thanks. I'll take a look these units. Most appreciated.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
It's a good time to buy. Garmin has discontinued a bunch of GPS's:

GPSMAP 60C
GPSMAP 60CS
GPSMAP 76S
GPSMAP 76C
GPSMAP 76CS
eTrex Vista C
eTrex Legend C
eTrex Vista
eTrex Legend
StreetPilot 2620
StreetPilot III Deluxe
GPSMAP 176C
GPSMAP 176

I bought my Legend C for $189 right when they started liquidating them.
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter

Thanks
I use an e-trex Vista. I just turn it on and toss it in the saddle bag. When I get someplace I like or want to remember (like where I took a photo or something) I squash on the little stick and it marks my spot.

I'd suggest getting a recent one - that is one with the USB interface instead of the serial port version. Pain in the butt having to dig up the extra/oddball cable.

I've vibrated the crap out of mine (direct handlebar mount on my GS when it's not in the KLR bag) so much that the battery cover is now a loose fit - and it always works. You do have to bend the battery tabs and/or stuff some foam behind them to make sure the batteries stay in contact. It works great, lasts a fair while on batteries, is small/light enough to take on bicycle and walking trips.

Oh yeah, one other issue (without hard-wired power). The batteries will crap out in the cold. Below about 35F it will shut down after about 20 minutes. NiMH batteries seem to shut down sooner but even alkalines will eventually. Not as much of an issue if you stuff it in the exhaust side bag.
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #9
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,343
heck a III would do what you want to do. I've used one for several years on all kinds of trails. Just follow the track back to the main roads or trails.
Probably could get one really cheap off ebay.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:17 AM   #10
dakariste
Over and over the hill...

Oddometer: 551
Magellan Sport Trak Topo. Waterproof, vibration, frost, crashproof. I tested it, honest.
I use a vibration proof mount from Touratech, which has broken in half and still works with a makeshift lash...

Comes with a built in map of US and Canada. Only holds about all of northern california, or all of oregon, or all of washington. But on my ride to Alaska I found the stock map without detail was plenty in the middle of British Columbia. The main roads were marked and trakbak still worked when I didn't have the topographic detail (I always carry maps also).
dakariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:34 AM   #11
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

Oddometer: 814
Thumb Garmin V

The Garmin V does a great job for the money. Suits the KLR to a tee. And you get about $200 worth of software and goodies with it. Allows you to download/upload routes. Only two drawbacks...no color screen and only 19 meg of memory, but that still allows you map all of western NC and some of Tenn.
Use the money you save to get a good TourTech mount. They have a very nice model that isolates vibration very good. A little pricey at $150, but I feel it saves the GPS unit the shock.
Bert
04 KLR650
05 KTM 525 EXC

Once you've gone adventure, you can never go back.
============================
09 KTM 530, 07 KTM 300 XC, 07 Triumph Tiger,1967 Honda P50, 2001 Honda XR70,
EbarDP48 is offline   Reply With Quote