ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
12bridn OP
I need throttle therapy
 
12bridn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 4,070
The answer to highway comfort on a dirtbike

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125776

If you wanna be comfortable on the road, yet still retail that slim feel when you get to the trails, this is the way to go. It is so simple, yet makes a huge difference. It uses two liter bottles as side support ,and you just remove them and toss them in the trash, or place them somewhere for later retrieval. Without the bottles, the whole deal takes up very little space and weighs almost nothing.

I just rode a KLX400 with the stock seat, from Cincinnati, OH to Lewistown, IL, with one of these, all backroads. 380 miles and 7 hours in the saddle and I was still ready to ride once I arrived at my destination. I only had to stop for gas, no fatigue breaks. My longest ride on the KLX before this was less than 150 miles, and that was with frequent breaks because of numbness.
12bridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable
 
SScratch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Nashville
Oddometer: 1,566
How does it work with Jack Daniel's?
__________________
2002 DRZ400S, 2001 F650GS Dakar, 1989 Honda Transalp
SScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Mr.Grumpy
Banned
 
Mr.Grumpy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Haverhill MA
Oddometer: 2,439
I'm sorry, what?
You stuff empty soda bottles in the pouces? Or the liquid from them?
It does make the seat look wide and comfy........
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
12bridn OP
I need throttle therapy
 
12bridn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy
I'm sorry, what?
You stuff empty soda bottles in the pouces? Or the liquid from them?
It does make the seat look wide and comfy........
You use the bottle, empty or full. I used empty ones. Liquid gives more support because it doesn't compress, so adjust the liquid level as necessary per your preference. Less air = higher pressure changes per equivalent volume changes.
12bridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
12bridn OP
I need throttle therapy
 
12bridn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScratch
How does it work with Jack Daniel's?

With a couple full bottles, it's square and bumpy.

With a couple empty bottles, it makes a great pillow.
12bridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
McD
Nothing
 
McD's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bridn
With a couple full bottles, it's square and bumpy.

With a couple empty bottles, it's square and bumpy.

Small Fix






McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
12bridn OP
I need throttle therapy
 
12bridn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by McD
Small Fix







Dunno, after I drank two bottles of jack I think anything would be a great pillow.
12bridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
demononthebrakes
Beastly Adventurer
 
demononthebrakes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: WNC
Oddometer: 1,189
I have always said "there so many simple effective ideas out there still unthought!"
demononthebrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
driller
Twist and Go
 
driller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: In The Isothermal Belt, NC
Oddometer: 1,215
Support

"If it casts a shadow...It needs support"
From a fellow I met on the road who is a physical therapist and has written articles for some MC mags on ergonomics.
He had a fleece butt pad with pockets that held "gel" packs (cold-hot) sewn in much like the "sweet cheeks" set up. Looked comfy.
Barb.....a possible option for your butt pads?????
__________________
Why did I wait so long to do this?
Now "Certified Scooter Trash"
2005 Vespa GT200
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
ztsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ztsd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bridn
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125776

If you wanna be comfortable on the road, yet still retail that slim feel when you get to the trails, this is the way to go. It is so simple, yet makes a huge difference. It uses two liter bottles as side support ,and you just remove them and toss them in the trash, or place them somewhere for later retrieval. Without the bottles, the whole deal takes up very little space and weighs almost nothing.

I just rode a KLX400 with the stock seat, from Cincinnati, OH to Lewistown, IL, with one of these, all backroads. 380 miles and 7 hours in the saddle and I was still ready to ride once I arrived at my destination. I only had to stop for gas, no fatigue breaks. My longest ride on the KLX before this was less than 150 miles, and that was with frequent breaks because of numbness.
Wow! That is absolutely brilliant!

Sweet Cheeks may just be the answer I was looking for... Plush seat for the slabs and a dirt bike saddle for the trails... AND CHEAP!

Thatís WELL worth a try... Iíll bet a trip to the local foam shop for some high density foam cores would work great, no worries about freezing and lighter than water...

I wonder if they make them in Kevlar for us 300 pounders...

Man! I gotta try one of those! Thanks for the tip!
ztsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:25 AM   #11
Mr.Grumpy
Banned
 
Mr.Grumpy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Haverhill MA
Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztsd
Wow! That is absolutely brilliant!

Sweet Cheeks may just be the answer I was looking for... Plush seat for the slabs and a dirt bike saddle for the trails... AND CHEAP!

Thatís WELL worth a try... Iíll bet a trip to the local foam shop for some high density foam cores would work great, no worries about freezing and lighter than water...

I wonder if they make them in Kevlar for us 300 pounders...

Man! I gotta try one of those! Thanks for the tip!
I can't quite tell if your on the level or not.......
BUT, I just got back from your bike=horse shopping spree post and have desided that you are
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:15 AM   #12
ztsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ztsd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy
I can't quite tell if your on the level or not.......
BUT, I just got back from your bike=horse shopping spree post and have desided that you are
LOL!

Yeah, you want to look for the word CHEAP in my posts and usually something a little offbeat. If a post doesnít have some reference to CHEAP, itís probably forged... Oh, havenít got my horse luggage yet, maybe it will come today!



Actually, I was gonna splurge on the seat and get a custom. Toured a Kaw 900 Z1B 20 years ago and it taught me the most important piece of motorcycle gear [ATGATT excepted] is the SEAT! After one particularly brutal run I got home and couldnít get my feet off the pegs... You ever see the ĎLaugh Iní skit with the tricycle?

Any way.... When I priced the seats, I almost had a second heart attack... Heck, itís a dirt bike! I then thought Iíd go with a tall soft foam or a DIY on the stock. The problem is, the seat is the toughest part of a Dualsport! I should have a ĎWide Loadí sign on the back of my bike...

Width is the single most important feature of a touring saddle yet the exact opposite is true of a dirt bike. So... Until I saw this post, I couldnít come up with any kind of reasonable answer...

This looks well worth a try... Itís CHEAP (see, itís me) and could just be the answer to my dilemma. Wide seat for the street, stock seat for the dirt... I figure that finding just the right combination for the inserts is critical, like tuning a carburetor. It will take time to get the right setup but the results should be WELL worth the effort.

If the bottles donít work out (especially with my weight) then Iíll try those CHEAP knee pads for kneeling in the garden, And try rolling them up so they will fit.. They are a high density closed cell foam (waterproof) and Iíve heard they make a good seat material. If that doesnít work, Iíll go to a local foam shop and procure the highest density foam they have and work my way down till I nail it. Just a matter of time IMO...

I think this is a brilliant concept for a Dual Sport Seat Cure... Sorry for the long post...

BTW, I live in Boston. Once I get my act together, maybe we can do a little dualsport ride?
ztsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #13
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy
 
Matttys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 436
I think I would get made fun of if I put that on my hooligan DRZ400SM. Squids would point and laugh
__________________
www.ProTwister.com
'04 Bonneville hack, '05 DRZ134SM minimoto, '02 955i Tiger, '08 WR250R
Matttys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
ztsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ztsd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttys
I think I would get made fun of if I put that on my hooligan DRZ400SM. Squids would point and laugh
Ahhh... Your still at that tender age where you give a shit what people think... Lucky! Just be a closet Sweet Cheeks!

Just tell em thatís how you transport your liquor... and ask them if they want a drink?

Just make sure you secure it real tight before you do THIS!

Review:

"I bought a voulsia a couple of years ago and was not to thrilled with a cruiser. I wanted something FUN to ride. I found a dealer with a black drz400sm that was willing to deal. I rode home with it. It sure is a lot more fun. It is light and quick. I am getting 55 mpg back and forth to work. It has a 5th gear that is good for 50+mph. Cruises comfortably 60-70 mph. Not a sport tourer but a great commuter. Needs a seat if you plan to spend more than 20-30 minutes at a time sitting on it. Corbin makes a nice looking one. There are also some custom seats available."

My friend was looking at drz400sm the other day. Good looking bike... It just needs some good 50/50 dualsport tires...
ztsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #15
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy
 
Matttys's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztsd
Ahhh... Your still at that tender age where you give a shit what people think... Lucky! Just be a closet Sweet Cheeks!

Just tell em thatís how you transport your liquor... and ask them if they want a drink?
To make sure I transport what!? That's why I have the Dakar on campus!

__________________
www.ProTwister.com
'04 Bonneville hack, '05 DRZ134SM minimoto, '02 955i Tiger, '08 WR250R
Matttys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014