Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Bald Kirk OP
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 726
I'm buying an 01 KTM 400sx, anyone familiar with these?

I currently ride a 1994 Honda/E-Line CRE260 (a CR250 converted to enduro) and I hadn't planned on buying this KTM but the offer is too good to pass up. It has only been ridden a few times and I struck a deal to pay $1500 for it if my buddy can find the title. He had a hernia operation a couple years ago and hasn't been the same since. He has been trying to sell it to me ever since and originally wanted $3000.

I imagine it will need a carb clean to get it running. Also plan on changing all the fluids and checking the valves.

I am a trail rider who enjoys fast fire trails, tight woods and deer trails (basically sticker bush bombing). I don't ride motorcross.

I am looking around to see if I can buy a bigger gas tank and depending on how loud it is maybe a different exhaust system. Some places where I ride we only take our quiet bikes so the neighbors let us keep coming back.

Has anyone ever owned one of these? Any opinions on my plan here?
My CRE is easy to ride in the tight stuff but how about this thing.

One down side is no head light but I am willing to compromise. I know this bike can't be tagged but I'm working on that with the CRE.

I look forward to getting back on a 4-stroke. That's where I came from and it took me a while to learn to ride the 2-stroke.

What do you guys think?

Bald Kirk screwed with this post 12-05-2007 at 03:36 PM
Bald Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Mc FroSkin
Your Prius gives Hummers

Oddometer: 125
2001 400 sx is a kick only 4 speeder I THINK. If you like fast fire roads you might not like the gearing. They kick start easy. I have a 2000 520 sx bought on the cheap that has been abused beyond beleif. It won't die.

Edit: Forget the exhaust. The stock sx system is great if repacked on and then.
Mc FroSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:09 AM   #3
amr2ul
Machinery 2 Upper Level

Oddometer: 292
upgradeable

The 400 can be adjusted to help make life easier. The transmission parts are interchangeable with those of an EXC of the same vintage. Also, an electric start kit can be had but it is pricey. Be careful poking around in the carb 'cause it is more complex than a nuclear reactor. I should know, I'm at work in a nuclear plant right now...
Also, if there are a lot of parts laying around a 520 top end strapped to the 400 cases results in a cool 450.
The gas tank is a winner, too, because the various model tank and seat combos can be fitted to each other and with the right seat and radiator scoops aftermarket tanks from IMS etc will fit.
Diver
Check out my novel, DEFENDER, a Kindle e-book, www.Amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Z1U7UI
amr2ul is offline   Reply With Quote