Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #31
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
... I called Renzaco Racing to work up my seat but got the answering machine they never called me back so far. What's up with that?
Bill in Tomahawk, WI.
They could be out riding... But besides that possibility they are as busy as can be - did you PM boejangles or creeper?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #32
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV
There's lots of good information in this thread. I'm second guessing the lowering links I put in now. I'm going on a ride to the desert this weekend so I'll pay close attention to how the bike is handling (bottoming out, rubbing). If I notice anything I'll probably remove the links. I think one thing that may be in my favor is I only weigh 160lbs so I'm one of the few people that KTM had in mind when setting up the stock suspension.

Errin
So today I took the 640 to the laboratory and ran some tests on the suspension. Real scientific stuff.

Photos courtesy of Rider914

Well as it turns out the knobbies DO rub the fender when fully compressed. Damn. So I'm going to put it back to stock height and see if just the new seat (which is lower than my previous one) will be enough.

I would like to keep it lower, but I've got alot to learn, and if I ride it any more aggresively than today I will have issues in the future.

Errin
Old 04-17-2006, 05:51 AM   #33
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
I wanna do some testing too

Quote:
So today I took the 640 to the laboratory and ran some tests on the suspension. Real scientific stuff.
Maybe more comp damping?
Probably already tried that huh?

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #34
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
...I would like to keep it lower, but I've got alot to learn, and if I ride it any more aggresively than today I will have issues in the future.
On the bright side, you've made no permanent changes, so it's easy to put the bike back to where it's designed to be, and there's always someone looking to experiment with the links, so selling 'em is easy.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #35
Surly
surly adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
On the bright side, you've made no permanent changes, so it's easy to put the bike back to where it's designed to be, and there's always someone looking to experiment with the links, so selling 'em is easy.
I offered mine up free and got no takers so far
I think mine smell funny

Where is Surly?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #36
ErrinV
D Boon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
I wanna do some testing too

Maybe more comp damping?
Probably already tried that huh?
I haven't adjusted the comp damping. I could try it, but I hit the bash plate a bunch of times too, so I think it's better overall if I go back to stock height.

Errin
Old 04-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #37
Surly
surly adventurer

Quote:
I haven't adjusted the comp damping. I could try it, but I hit the bash plate a bunch of times too, so I think it's better overall if I go back to stock height.

Errin
I agree!

Where is Surly?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #38
Groundhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Surly,
Whish I would have read your post earlier today. I just got my new LC4 Adventure Fri night. I can't hardly get on the thing when it's in the stand unless I use the foot peg for a step. Ordered a set of links (and a side stand) this morning. I may remove them, but I need to try something!

The little I have riden it (it's snowing here) I ran every stop sign so I didn't have to find out how far down the ground was.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:48 PM   #39
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,738
Hey nice pics. The bike I am setting up is a long distance travel bike designed to handle a hundred pounds of gear and me, run down a bad gravel road at 60 mph and still be able to go stoplight to stoplight in a big foreign city without falling on me. The lowering has a purpose. What I am doing is very single purpose. I am also running a Scotts steering damper to make sure everything stays straight at speed especially due to the suspension mods.
I spent 30 days in Bolivia unable to walk in a very remote area because of a bad crash on an old BMW. That gets you thinking about suspension, motorcycle handling, gravel roads and hauling gear. For some work the Adventure is too tall for a rider who is 5' 10 inches. Day in and day out living on it , it is too tall for some of us.
It is also the best handling travel mc in the world so...I am fixing mine for me.
Adventure touring they call it.
Bill in Tomahawk, WI.
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:59 PM   #40
ErrinV
D Boon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Hey nice pics. The bike I am setting up is a long distance travel bike designed to handle a hundred pounds of gear and me, run down a bad gravel road at 60 mph and still be able to go stoplight to stoplight in a big foreign city without falling on me.
Bill in Tomahawk, WI.

I understand that, and I am a short guy, so lowering the bike is my preference too. One thing to consider though is that the rubbing and bottoming out that I experienced were not from the jumping, but from too much speed and then an unexpected washout, whoop or rock. Potholes on bad roads are just as likely to do damage as goofing off on a dry lake bed. Flying down gravel roads at 60mph and hitting something hard will test the suspension travel for sure, especially if loaded up with gear.

My $.02.

Errin
Old 04-18-2006, 04:52 AM   #41
Surly
surly adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
Surly,
Whish I would have read your post earlier today. I just got my new LC4 Adventure Fri night. I can't hardly get on the thing when it's in the stand unless I use the foot peg for a step. Ordered a set of links (and a side stand) this morning. I may remove them, but I need to try something!

The little I have riden it (it's snowing here) I ran every stop sign so I didn't have to find out how far down the ground was.
I bet youll end up with a spare set eventually too

Maybe we should start a demo pool of lowering links
If we have enough we can put a stop to this market by letting folks try them for free and then taking them off when they get tired of them.

Noone will ever buy lowering links again!

Where is Surly?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #42
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,307
Eh? What the ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
I can't hardly get on the thing when it's in the stand unless I use the foot peg for a step.
You're kidding, right?

I don't think I could get on ANY bike when it is on the centre-stand. I'd need two-foot extensions on my legs to get anywhere near close on the Adventure. If you're getting anywhere near close to throwing a leg over that thing while it is on the stand, you definitely don't need lowering links!!!

Sorry but I'm totally perplexed by that comment.

btw why would you WANT to get on it on the stand? Sure, maybe if you're goofing off in the garage or something - I've had to use a footpeg on every bike I've had - but doing so has no practical use in terms of riding the bike, so is kinda irrelevant.

I know this is a self-help forum for enthusiasts, but there seems to be massive numbers of people buying long-travel adventure bikes and then trying to re-engineer them by excessive lowering (not just this thread). It's not a bicycle, it's not a scooter, (look! up in the air!?) it's... it's... it's a motorbike!!! GET OVER IT! Literally and figuratively! (As an aside, I've never understood the obsession with "flat-footing" a bike. I don't think I could take any bike seriously if I could "flat-foot" it. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it'd be good for a laff!)

Maybe if you (as in the collective readership of advrider) are in that boat you should re-evaluate your ride. Seriously, I mean that in the nicest possible way. You don't need a KTM Super Enduro for adventure riding (did someone mention the RTW rider on the R1?). I've done huge miles on the dirt on my Triumph Trophy. Two-up with loads of gear. More than I did on the Triumph Tiger, more than I've done on my KTM so far. I've been sight-seeing up tracks so rough the 4wd people at the carpark have had their jaws agape, stunned at the very sight of a road bike arriving. It makes for an extremely rewarding ride.

If the height bothers you, and bothers you so much you want to shorten the bike because you won't be needing it's capabilities, then maybe a different bike would suit better - one that was designed to be used more closely to your low-seat-height intended use. I'm thinking along the lines of the Kawasaki KLE500, Triumph Scrambler, Buell Ulysses, Honda NX650 Dominator, the Suzuki DR-SE series: the road end of the road/trail spectrum. If necessary, re-valve and re-spring the suspension to suit, which is unarguably an improvement.

Anyway, just a thought or two to consider. We all make our own choices about what & how we ride. We should do it understanding those choices rather than following the herd or going for the quick-fix which may cause more problems than it solves. I guess in a nutshell, what I'm trying to say is that lowering a tall bike is not the only solution: you could get a shorter bike.

Or maybe it's just the drugs talking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #43
Surly
surly adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
I'm thinking ...Triumph Scrambler...
I want one of those!

Where is Surly?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 PM   #44
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
You're kidding, right?

I don't think I could get on ANY bike when it is on the centre-stand. I'd need two-foot extensions on my legs to get anywhere near close on the Adventure.
Yeah, this isn't really an issue (center stand).

I don't own a 640 but I've been eyeing one for quite a while.

Clearly as this post shows, it's not an issue of how tall it is before you get on, rather how tall it is once your on there. For the former -- as others have said -- a side stand solves a lot of the problem.

Went and sat on one this weekend at the local dealer. I have a 29" inseam. People talk about the KLR650 (my current DP bike) having a ridiculously tall seat. Well a) it doesn't b) the suspension (even with a stiffer rear spring) compresses to the point where I can easily get the balls++ of both feet on the ground. It's a good thing that the 640A doesn't sag like an old XXXX but I could barely touch *just* the tips of my toes. A much lighter friend with a ~33" inseam could get most of his feet down on the 640A (similar to me on the KLR). I'm better off on the DRZ400 than I was on the 640A :-(

Obviously you scoot over when stopping but it's always the offroad, forced stop with a depression in the ground situation that I fear most ...... I so want to be able to own one of these too. Grrr. The dealer had me all convinced it was just a matter of lowering links so I'm glad to have read this thread.

Tony
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #45
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
I want one of those!
Did you see these pics from our little outing the other week?

Danger_Dave had the Scrambler, but had the experts ride it over the more interesting stuff, which means he got to take photos of it:
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/capcoast/index.htm

Others here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128897

'Tis nice to ride, especially with 'competition only' pipes on it. Dunno that I'd put up with them long term, though. It was awarded "best sounding bike" on the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote