Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #46
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Thanks for all the updates Just wanted to let ya know I've been reading them and they are appreciated. 370lbs is really light for such a machine! That's got to be about a hundred lbs lighter than the ktm950SE (wet) I guess.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #47
Cupid Stunt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Thanks John
Yes, please do keep us posted

Am I right in thinkig that Highland have stopped producing bikes now and are soley concentrating on developing for other manufacturers ?

It kind of reads that way on their website
Cupid Stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #48
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
hey, just wanted to say thanks for that review. well written and you covered all the big issues. i appreciate your taking time.

i visited the other forum that was linked and read about some fellow claiming his CRF puts out 53 bhp to the rear wheel. it's possible, but not very easy. check out Ron Hamp's site-- he's got a CRF that turns 60 horse... but it isn't easy, that head is totally rework, polished, ported, etc.

http://www.ronhamp.com/portal/default.asp?id=27&mnu=27

i would love to know what the Highland does on a dyno.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #49
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
Thanks John. A very prized possession, two actually. 60 odd pounds lighter than my HP2. Wow.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:56 AM   #50
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupid Stunt
Am I right in thinkig that Highland have stopped producing bikes now and are soley concentrating on developing for other manufacturers ?
They do seem a little illusive, however parts seem to come through without problem to the dealer. They may be a little tardy but they do come.

There doesn't seem to be any real activity pushing the new bikes although the dealer says they are available. I hope to talk to Tim the importer soon about his Highland/Spondon road bike, then we should have some more definitive news.

It looks to me as if Highland are trying to tie up with a Chinese manufacturer so they can up the volume but as so much of the bike is made by european manufacturers (ohlin, mazochi?, talon, brembo and excel etc) they may have a problem with getting that sort of quality in a far cheaper bike.

For information - last fill up the fuel light came on at 225kms then taking 16 litles of fuel, near enough 40mpg imperial. If there is another 6 litres? in the tank then that should be near enough 190 miles. That blatting about fairly quickly. I will run it out when the carrier is properly fitted and I can carry a reserve to get me to the nearest fuel pump.

The French trip on Sunday is giving me some cause for thought, I have no motorcycle luggage system now except a couple of topboxes. Throwing a leg over a tall bike with a top box is likely to be a stretch for this poor old soul so I may make do with just a couple of Ortleibs from my cycle as panniers. Pics will come. This trip should certainly throw up any comfort issues and I intend to use a sheepskin to aid the seat bum interface.
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 AM   #51
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Try either doing a karate kick type mount or stand a bit further foward of the bike when mounting so that your leg will be in front of the top box, then after it clears allow yourself to slide back a bit. Its not entirely natural, but works well enough for me when riding with stuff piled high on the back of the bike:)

have fun

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #52
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,726
awsome pics and report there john, i am surprised it comes in a little lighter than my elefant.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:39 AM   #53
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
370lbs is really light for such a machine!
Got me thinking, the weights were taken one wheel at time on Suzy's scales so I can't be dead sure of the accuracy. I will weigh again when near a weighbridge or some other family scales. Don't think it will be out by much though.

Found a pic of the engine with clean running induction system - supposed to be the big horse power version. Don't think that will go cleanly under the existing tank
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #54
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
Here's a Highland forum:

http://motard.concode.com/highland/

Here are the direct video links from the above site:

http://motard.concode.com/highland/movies/hasselgren/

http://motard.concode.com/highland/movies/streby/

http://motard.concode.com/highland/movies/hagglund/
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #55
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

The long haul on a Highland

So after a week away some feedback on the Highland distance ability.

The run out from Leeds to Newhaven, ferry to Dieppe, then Rouen (got lost), Chartres, Orleans and finally Availles Limouzine not too far from Limoge gave road miles of just under 700. All off peage (toll roads). Time taken including stops and ferry crossing some 19 hours. The majority at 130 – 140 kph around 85 mph with bursts for overtaking and boredom to 105 mph. Returned a smidge over 50mpg but there was a predominantly following wind.

Return leg past Poitiers, Tours, le Mans just over 620 miles, This time using toll roads just over 20 euros. Time taken some 15 and a half hours. Mainly head wind and around 42 mpg.

The lack of windshield made any speed over 85 mph hard work. I had not realised on the short journeys at home using up to three figure speeds how tiring this would be for hours at a time. It was no effort to the bike, power in plenty cruising around 4500rpm. No dangerous moments and the suspension was plush and accommodating as you would expect. No annoying vibration at any riding speed but without a screen there is a little too much pull on the bars requiring a regular adjustment of seating position. Seat was good for a narrow configuration although for any long journey I generally wear padded cycling under shorts. The sheepskin cover I did not use as there was a lot of wet fog on the far side of the channel, once again the lack of screen made the ride very cold for me. On the return I had nearly every clothing item on including my rain suit.

You will note from the pictures I had fitted an old set of handlebar muffs I used for commuting on my old GT750. A total lifesaver as no heated grips and they really stop the water getting in between the glove and sleeve. One interesting aside, with luggage off I took it out for a blast on some excellent roads near the race circuit at L’ Ille Jourdain (Magne Cour?) for some reason along the straights the bike seemed reluctant to go much above the ton where generally it romps away, and it also developed a little weave, just a bit unsettling. It took a few miles before I realised that the speed was collapsing the right hand muff onto the front brake lever acting like a speed limiter, the faster I went the more front brake was applied. The combination of power from the back and braking from the front giving cause to the unusual instability. There was no problem at the cruising speed although I regularly pushed the fingers of the right hand forward especially when into the head wind.

The luggage I mackled up from a couple of Ortlieb cycle panniers, cycle front low rider racks, a canoe bag and a light rucksack. Not the most sightly set up but carried all I need for the week close to the centre of gravity. The rucksack was soon taken off my back and strapped on top of the luggage. Weight was well forward in the passenger position and gave no instability at the speed I was using.

On the ferry the standard device of a strap across the seat was used although because of the long travel suspension this made the prop stand push the bike into a more vertical position. I used a bracer strap to keep the tension against the stand and kept the engine in first gear with a bungee rubber holding on the front brake. The bike did not move. (The crossing was pretty easy). If the bike had gone over the Ortliebs and muffs would have taken most damage. I did tag a road sign with the pannier when squeezing through a gap off a car park at a little ambitious speed. Fortunately the pannier being narrow and only containing tools and clothing it just took a scuff and did no damage.

Nothing came loose, broke or fell off. Fuel stops were far enough apart and the only concern was more oil than I would have expected from the breather into the air cleaner. No additional oil or coolant was required.

In summing up, yes it does the job for a good length journey, I’ve done just the same journey on an 1150GS. But like the GS doing really big miles is for the committed, I just wanted to know if I could do it on a bike that has far more off road potential. More to come, making pics to size
Attached Images

John in Leeds screwed with this post 05-08-2007 at 09:08 AM
Old 05-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #56
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

How do you add multiple images?

Any advice please, preferably images at the size above
Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #57
John in Leeds