Oddometer: 6,739
I find GE Silicone II to be stickier in the long run than just silicone
Old 10-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #32
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
Hmmm, altering/removing the safety bead... Is that, ummm, safe? Isn't the safety bead what makes this whole concept doable, since "off-road" rims normally don't have the safety bead? Breaking the bead would be the same amount of effort as normal (right?), but...

Thoughts?
I struggled the first time I removed the rear tyre - I think the safety bead was the cause, as the tyre rests against it. Now, with a section removed, it's quite simple if you know where to start.

Normally a puncture will cause a tubeless set-up to deflate more gently than a tube set-up would, as the offending object tends to plug the hole it makes in the tyre, but not in the innertube if there is one. I think it's not as important to have that safety bead with a tubeless set-up.

Some rims don't have safety beads. Does that mean they're dangerous?
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #33
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,319
Could be. I once had a front tire going soft - didn't know it till I tipped into a second gear corner and it spit the bead and put me on my head. That was on a 19" Excel rim with a safety bead.

That was when I put tubes back into my 950...but I really like tubeless better, so I'm gonna do it again.

Chuckracer screwed with this post 11-21-2010 at 08:45 AM
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #34
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRupert
I struggled the first time I removed the rear tyre - I think the safety bead was the cause, as the tyre rests against it. Now, with a section removed, it's quite simple if you know where to start.

Normally a puncture will cause a tubeless set-up to deflate more gently than a tube set-up would, as the offending object tends to plug the hole it makes in the tyre, but not in the innertube if there is one. I think it's not as important to have that safety bead with a tubeless set-up.

Some rims don't have safety beads. Does that mean they're dangerous?
I thought all tubeless rims had safety beads. Maybe I'm misinformed. If you're using an inner tube it's a non-issue, isn't that why you/we shouldn't try this on the stock 21" front rim? I remember reading about this in Woody's wheel thread, and about how it's possible to roll the tire off the rim without a safety bead, so he won't attempt to seal the fronts and WILL seal the rears. I could be talking outta my ass, just trying to get all the info...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #35
Dino de Laurentiis
Working on it

Oddometer: 66
Has anyone tried these? http://www.alpinaraggi.it/
You switch out the spoke nipples for the Alpina ones with integrated o-ring seals. The advantage being that you can adjust spoke tension afterwards without risking ruining the seal, likely more durable and it's also possibly lighter than stuffing the rim full of silicon or epoxy.
Dino de Laurentiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #36
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino de Laurentiis
You switch out the spoke nipples for the Alpina ones with integrated o-ring seals. The advantage being that you can adjust spoke tension afterwards without risking ruining the seal, likely more durable and it's also possibly lighter than stuffing the rim full of silicon or epoxy.
That looks very promising. Any idea where to purchase? My Italian is not very good.
2001 KTM 640 ADV....most versatile
1999 KTM 300 EXC....woods weapon
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #37
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,319
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Alpina

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #38
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
How about putting silicone only inside the spoke 'cups' and then holding everything together with a few rounds of duct tape?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #39
Grizzz4440
Over the Hill (Wild Bill)

Oddometer: 99
Duct Tape

Anyone tried just a couple wraps of Duct Tape ?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #40
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
I find GE Silicone II to be stickier in the long run than just silicone
I find Sikaflex or most other polyurethane sealants to be way stickier and tougher than silicone on most surfaces. I'm going to be sealing up a set of 18/19" wheels with a combination of seal all and sikaflex this weekend. Only in the dimples, because i like the idea of not having to tear off the whole thing if there's a leak.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #41
jcma2ra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Absolutely possible and works real well
Here is a set for a KTM

GOLD and Black KTM

More pictures and info here
alpinawheelsusa.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino de Laurentiis
jcma2ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 AM   #42
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
I find Sikaflex or most other polyurethane sealants to be way stickier and tougher than silicone on most surfaces. I'm going to be sealing up a set of 18/19" wheels with a combination of seal all and sikaflex this weekend. Only in the dimples, because i like the idea of not having to tear off the whole thing if there's a leak.
True enough. You could also go with Gorilla glue or PL Premium even.

I'm wondering why the Seal All wouldn't be enough, it's pretty sticky itself. Why not try a bit and let dry and see how hard it is to get out and if it looks like it seals well?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #43
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 739
seal all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
True enough. You could also go with Gorilla glue or PL Premium even.

I'm wondering why the Seal All wouldn't be enough, it's pretty sticky itself. Why not try a bit and let dry and see how hard it is to get out and if it looks like it seals well?
I try'd just Seal All Just over the nipps, started to have a slow leak after about couple hunderd miles. Maybe some more coats of it would work but its expensive and winds up kinda thin. I jus covered over the Seal All and whole center with silcone. Have'nt had a chance to miles on it yet but it been holding air out in the garage for a couple weeks now.
dogsslober is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #44
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Oddometer: 337
i sealed my wheels using the cyborg method. had to be over a year ago. i have had zero problems. i just rode to moab utah and back tubeless. on 908's front and back at 25 lbs each. i didnt lose one lb of air. one of the best things ive done to my bike. rigggins idaho then moab? i think my test is complete.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #45
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Seal All does have small bubbles in it, maybe a bunch of them connected together

My other thought is straight Goop, I use that a lot and really like it... course maybe reinventing the wheel isn't really necessary here