ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #61
nevermind
sLOW Rider
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Lost then Found
Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
do I need to prep the area around the spoke nipples, like scuffing with scotchbrite like is recommended for the other method?
When I do mine, I will use the plastics-safe brake cleaner to degrease the area. Like you, I'd like to hear about scuffing up the recessed areas with scotch bright or similar...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #62
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 3,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer
Grrr...two spokes are leaking. Now I gotta pull the thing apart and put the tube back in it tomorrow morning before I can leave. Dammit!

Well...we'll get it. Maybe I shouldn't have skipped the "Goop" step after all! I guess I have all winter to get it right. Tomorrow we ride!
So, I just finished my rims (cyborg method), but haven't mounted the tires yet. By the way, I ended up using goop rather than sikaflex. And I think the goop does a way better job of sticking to the rim than the seal-all does. If i did this again, I might skip the seal all. I cleaned everything with alchohol, but didn't roughen the surface at all- maybe that would have helped. One new rim, one old rim.
Anyway, I trimmed the seal-all right at the edge of the spoke dimple- the extra seal-all came off easier than I would have liked. Then I went over with goop, making sure to seal over all edges of the previous layer. I'll put some tires on in a few days and see how it did.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #63
viola-tor
Needs to ride!
 
viola-tor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Rockies. Freakin' Rockies.
Oddometer: 2,071
How come no one has mentioned THIS to me here in this thread? (thanks for the verbal heads-up WarriorPrince)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596213

Doing a tubeless conversion and running this stuff would give you a 1/4" puncture hole protection, so it is claimed...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #64
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 30,821
So it is a "dry" tire slime basically?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #65
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 8,017
I've got it in my tubes. Can't say how well it works...hope to not find out!
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2005 Ducati ST3
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #66
viola-tor
Needs to ride!
 
viola-tor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Rockies. Freakin' Rockies.
Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
So it is a "dry" tire slime basically?
I just read the whole thread, very informative. It's stays liquid inside, but if you get a hole it's forced out into it and then gums up and hardens. It seems you have to be careful on installation not to get any moisture inside, but looks promising. The thing is you can pick up a nail and not even know it, just keep riding, and apparently that's fine. Works with or without tubes.

I'll be considering...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #67
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 7,067
It may solve some of the leaking issues with the Seal-All not really sealing all
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #68
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
So, I just finished my rims (cyborg method), but haven't mounted the tires yet. By the way, I ended up using goop rather than sikaflex. And I think the goop does a way better job of sticking to the rim than the seal-all does. If i did this again, I might skip the seal all. I cleaned everything with alchohol, but didn't roughen the surface at all- maybe that would have helped. One new rim, one old rim.
Anyway, I trimmed the seal-all right at the edge of the spoke dimple- the extra seal-all came off easier than I would have liked. Then I went over with goop, making sure to seal over all edges of the previous layer. I'll put some tires on in a few days and see how it did.
That's what I'm thinking, just Goop it and be done. I like how it flows slowly while drying so I bet it seals better than Seal-All

Then add the Tyre Guardian .. too bad about not being able to use Dynabeads though, I like those.
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #69
viola-tor
Needs to ride!
 
viola-tor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Rockies. Freakin' Rockies.
Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
It may solve some of the leaking issues with the Seal-All not really sealing all
This TireGuardian stuff won't seal the spokes at all, just the outer part of the tire. Ya, I'm thinking maybe do both...

However, after reading the thread there is one catch: If you want/need to use a tire plug you have to CLEAN the TireGuardian latex stuff out of the hole... I can only imagine that means un-mounting the tire so you can get at it from the inside. If it's doing it's job, you won't need to do that, but if it's not working or your hole is bigger than 1/4" (tubeless) than I suppose you have bigger problems anyway...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #70
nevermind
sLOW Rider
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Lost then Found
Oddometer: 2,947
Ride-on is another tire sealant and I'm using tire sealant from notubes.com Yeah, the notubes is for mountain bikes, but watching Stan jab hole after hole into a bicycle tire while losing little or no pressure sold me. PLUS it's cheaper AND I can get it locally. I'm running it in the tubes on my 990 and 525. So far, so good.
Sealant:
http://www.notubes.com/tubeless_system.php?cPath=21_60

Very Cool vid, this stuff works!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_BsT8D9JYY

No, I'm not interested in an arguing about tire sealants...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #71
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
This TireGuardian stuff won't seal the spokes at all, just the outer part of the tire. Ya, I'm thinking maybe do both...

However, after reading the thread there is one catch: If you want/need to use a tire plug you have to CLEAN the TireGuardian latex stuff out of the hole... I can only imagine that means un-mounting the tire so you can get at it from the inside. If it's doing it's job, you won't need to do that, but if it's not working or your hole is bigger than 1/4" (tubeless) than I suppose you have bigger problems anyway...
Doh, yeah one is on the rim and one is on the tire

Is that necessary for an external plug or just if you want to use an internal mushroom plug? I don't see why you'd have to remove it if an external plug was used as it seals the tire itself. Clean any TG out of the hole and insert the plug and it should work, no?
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #72
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind
No, I'm not interested in an arguing about tire sealants...
Not even a little ??
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #73
nevermind
sLOW Rider
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Lost then Found
Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Not even a little ??
no sir, sorry...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #74
viola-tor
Needs to ride!
 
viola-tor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Rockies. Freakin' Rockies.
Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Is that necessary for an external plug or just if you want to use an internal mushroom plug? I don't see why you'd have to remove it if an external plug was used as it seals the tire itself. Clean any TG out of the hole and insert the plug and it should work, no?
Ya, maybe the rasp tool would clean up the hole enough, but I suspect the stuff is slimy and would interfear with the bond between the gooey plug and tire. Maybe we need some clarification on that point from the manufacturer. The TG is designed to fill the hole, so I think clearing it out might be a trick.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #75
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,154
I agree. In addition, if you had a cut on the side wall and wanted to put a tube, it'd be a mess. I was originally interested but it's not clear to me if I could just put in a tube without consequences.

bikyto screwed with this post 11-20-2010 at 04:37 PM
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014