ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #76
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,074
the pic in the other thread seemed to show it was easy to get out, just pull and it all stays in one piece.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #77
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
the pic in the other thread seemed to show it was easy to get out, just pull and it all stays in one piece.
once it dries, I think yes. When it's IN the tire on the wheel I believe it's in liquid form. Dismounting the tire and letting it dry might work, but it might take some time... If you're in that situation perhaps sitting back and smelling the roses for few min. isn't a big deal. This is all from just reading the thread, I obviously have no experience with it (yet).
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #78
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

I don't think it stays liquid in the tire.

"One of the nice things about TyreGuardian is it is not nasty or slimey and won’t make you or your mechanic unhappy when it is time for a new tire. You can pull it out of the tire in one piece if you like or leave it in place and it can be recycled with the tire".

"In addition your mechanic (if you use one) won't have a fit when he breaks the tire down for replacement. Some of the competition really creates a "mess". What you see in the pictures Gadget Boy supplied tells the story."
Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #79
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

When asked this:

1. I have been using the glue/rope style plugs for many years on trucks and tubeless m/c tires, with great success. If I were to get a LARGE hole in a tire, and the Tyre Guard product was not able to plug it. Would the old glue/rope style plug still work?

His response was this:

"Yes to your first question. You would need to clean the TyreGuardian from the puncture edges so the plug adheres to the tire. Then TyreGuardian will seal around the plug."

So no need to remove the tire from the rim, just clean the edges up.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #80
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
There's also discussion in the thread about how the liquid rolls around inside, if it's "hard" how does it seal the hole? If can seal the hole, how does it know the difference between a nail and the tire-plug rasp? Won't it try to "seal" that too? How do you clean "the edges up" from the OUTSIDE of the tire?

Cornfused... Too tired to re-read that thread tonight.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #81
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,021
So...who's sealing? What did you use? How did it go?

I'm on attempt #3 on my rear rim. 1st try was Seal All...total failure. Removed it all and tried Goop. 5 leaks...tire off, re-seal...1 leaker...tire off, sealed that one, waiting till tomorrow to try it again. I'm getting sick of slinging tires!

I haven't started on the front yet.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #82
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer

I'm on attempt #3 on my rear rim. 1st try was Seal All...total failure. Removed it all and tried Goop. 5 leaks...tire off, re-seal...1 leaker...tire off, sealed that one, waiting till tomorrow to try it again. I'm getting sick of slinging tires!

i have. holding air for 18 months. 2 coats of seal all. 2 coats of goop. front and rear rims.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #83
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Funny. I was thinking the same thing this morning. I've been postponing it. But it's poring right now and thought ...hum why not today.

Mrbubblehead. Did you prep the rim any other way than how it was described previously in the thread. I wonder why there is such a disparity of results.
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #84
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer

Mine are working now- I did have a couple false starts though. Then I stripped it all off, lightly sanded the rim (#180 grit no load sandpaper), cleaned it all with brake cleaner, and redid 2 coats of seal all, 1 of goop. And 1 more touch up with goop anywhere it looked thin. Worked great- the important thing is really good prep.

And I love my 19"/18" setup with the conti trail attacks. Very smooth. Now I just wish I would stop being sick so I could ride some more.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #85
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto
Funny. I was thinking the same thing this morning. I've been postponing it. But it's poring right now and thought ...hum why not today.

Mrbubblehead. Did you prep the rim any other way than how it was described previously in the thread. I wonder why there is such a disparity of results.
bikyto, i just hand wire brushed each nipple, than cleaned with green brake cleaner and compressed air. each coat of sealer i went with a larger patch. enough to cover the edges of the previous. like the first coat the size of a dime maybe, the second the size of a penny, then a nickle. and my last coat of goop is about the size of a quarter.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #86
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubblehead
bikyto, i just hand wire brushed each nipple, than cleaned with green brake cleaner and compressed air. each coat of sealer i went with a larger patch. enough to cover the edges of the previous. like the first coat the size of a dime maybe, the second the size of a penny, then a nickle. and my last coat of goop is about the size of a quarter.
Thanks! I'm going to follow your steps.

I was wondering... Have you ever needed to adjust the spokes tension after sealing the rims?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #87
twodollardoug
the calimesa kid

Quote:
Thanks! I'm going to follow your steps.

I was wondering... Have you ever needed to adjust the spokes tension after sealing the rims?
not yet, but i did adjust them before i sealed them.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #88
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubblehead
not yet, but i did adjust them before i sealed them.
I was think of inserting a little rubber "cap" or plug into the nipple to keep that adjustment space. I mean, really small rubber plug that goes into the nipple thread. Since all my spokes are recessed into the nipples and that and adjustment usually requires less than a turn.
Dunno just thinking about an option. I've read about the paper/duct tape add on but I'm not convinced.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #89
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,026
Quote:
I was think of inserting a little rubber "cap" or plug into the nipple to keep that adjustment space. I mean, really small rubber plug that goes into the nipple thread. Since all my spokes are recessed into the nipples and that and adjustment usually requires less than a turn.
Dunno just thinking about an option. I've read about the paper/duct tape add on but I'm not convinced.
It's the spoke nipple that turns, not the spoke. So if you have the nipple glued into the rim, you won't be doing any adjusting.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #90
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
It's the spoke nipple that turns, not the spoke. So if you have the nipple glued into the rim, you won't be doing any adjusting.
You're right. I didn't explain it correctly.
But after thinking about more, my suggestion doesn't work. I was hoping to replicate the suggestion with the paper/duct tape but using a rubber cap instead so that the nipple would turn inside it.

Since you guys are running without this additional headache that I was trying to add to my burden... I'll just forget that idea.

Thanks!