Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
Pympede OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question Got a new Duke, Pictures and Questions within.

I bought a 2002 KTM Duke a few days ago, and unfortunately it didn't come with an owners manual so i have some extremely basic questions. And to add to my confusion, this is actually the first Duke I have ever seen in real life.

What grade of gas should I put in her, I am guessing 91 octane? And to reset the trip odo there should be a knob on the left hand side of the fairing correct? Becuase my Bike has a hole there, but no external knob. Anyone have any ideas on where to get a replacement knob?

Oil, I have no idea what oil filter to put on it. I am pretty sure there are two filters, correct? Anyone have any model numbers for them? When i get around to getting the oil changed, Amsoil should be fine for it i am assuming.

Kickstand, my bike's has a bit of a bend in and as such leans fairly far over. Is this is standard Duke lean angle, or shall i replace it? And the first time i went to kickstart it (on the crazy left side) i forgot about the kickstand and hit it with the kickstart. The spring flew off, but fortunately didn't break. But unfortunately, there was an inner spring that broke in two. Is this spring important, and what is it's function? I am going to find a replacement spring soon, but i am just curious.

And last but not least, does anyone know of any good online KTM part websites, preferably Canada, but I'm not crazy picky. There is no local dealership so i thought it would be easier to order my parts online.

Oh wait, the big one, i had forgotten about this. The bike starts fine, with choke and either electric or kickstart, but during and after warm-up it likes to stall. I can be sititng on it, or sitting in gear with the clutch in and the idles will drop and fall. Is this caused by a too low of an idle? What screw adjusts this, becuase it is getting rather irratating.

Thanks for listening to my gigantic post, but ADV rider seemed like the place to for information on the LC4. As for a review of the bike, Man do I love it! I have pictures so if anyone is intersted in seeing any of the problems or just seeing the beautiful orange, just ask! Thanks
Pympede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
Liar.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
ponq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Your a liar until I see a pic of your bike
1998 CR125R (in pieces)
1991 CR500
ponq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
you know whatthey say...PICTURES or it didn't happen.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,346
Check out www.ktmtalk.com and for parts www.munnracing.com Goodluck with the Duke you will love it.
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Pympede OP
n00b

I promised, i will deliver!

Side shot my my baby. It's really dirty, but of course the first day I get insurance it rains, first time in two weeks. Whatever can go wrong...

Behind shot, you can see the bend in the kickstand and the vicious lean angle. As part of my prime negotiating i got them to throw in a Battlax rear, so far its wonderful.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
ponq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
You might want to fix that sidestand, or never get off the bike.

I would opt for the latter.

That looks like soooo much fun.
1998 CR125R (in pieces)
1991 CR500
ponq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,334
Dukes kick ass!!! Congrats and Nice bike!

Ktmtalk.com is a great site for KTMs as mentioned earlier. The Duke was the first "motard" I ever rode and after that I dropped any desires for a sportbike and had to get my own. FWIW my old man runs premium 93 octane in his Duke; but I'm not sure if that's absolutely neccessary as not. Check out the LC4 thread stickied at the top of this page, should have a lot of your ?s answered in there.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
exiledinaus
Get off my land!!!

Oddometer: 185
Nice, I have a black and orange duke one last edition - you will have a lot of fun on it...

As for the stalling... I am assuming you still have the choke on and its stalling?

Once the bike is started, and has been running for ten seconds or so, turn the choke right off and this should fix your issue... Mine always stalls on even the tiniest bit of choke.

As far as fuel goes - I have always used 98 fuel in my Duke and have been told to not use 95 as it won't run right at all.... However i guess u don't have the 98 option in the states so your katoom's must be modified???
exiledinaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:15 AM   #10
Esteban
Banned

Oddometer: 5,799
Use what ever gas does not ping. Low altitude requires higher octane. In Colorado at 5000 feet + 85 octane works fine in my LC4.

I like Mobile One 15W 50, but I can't tell any difference. This is mostly a "do you believe synthetic is better" issue - I do. LC4s have foiled some novice oil changers. Beware of trapped air in the frame. Make sure all air is properly bled. Get an experienced person to show you one time.

Get the original KTM kickstand spring. The inner spring is just a neat way to tuck two springs together in less space. As for the bend... Kimo Sabe Tonto !

Tracey's World of Cycles is cheap sometimes but sometimes they screw up the billing too. They are in Moon Township, PA.

Stalling - Clean carb and get a one size larger pilot jet. The proper needle would help your Mikuni BST too. In the USA they come with EPA designed slide needles. Call Dynojet or better yet buy and FCR 41.

Hope that helps, Esteban
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:21 AM   #11
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,261
Congrats on the new bike.

In the states, KTM wants you to burn premium gas. We use a different octane rating system then in Europe, so the numbers aren't comparable.

Yes, there are two oil filters. Most of us use the HiFlo brand, HF155 and HF156 and this is what KTM dealers typically sell for OEM KTM. Don't attempt an oil change without the owner's manual - it's not straightforward. There is some good info on this site if you do a search.

LC4 kickstands are squirrely. Looks like yours might be bent, but hard to say. I wouldn't have high expectations.

In the states, most of us order at ktmparts.com or Munn's site that you reach off of ktmtalk.com.

I'd get an owner's manual first. You may be able to order it, or it is often available online for brief periods before KTM's lawyers get all bent out of shape about copyrights. I'd ask over at ktmtalk.com and see if you can scare up a version. Or there is ebay, although everything there is typically pirated.

LC4s are strange beasts - give yourself time to become acquainted and learn the ropes before you rush off willy nilly into doing stuff.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:10 AM   #12
Pympede OP
n00b

Thats alot of info to digest, so i'll rehash it so we are all clear. First step is to order an owners manual, and i found an owners manual and a repair manual on cd, so those are on order. My kickstand is probably ok, but I will order a new spring to ensure no problems. Oil changes will be done at the shop for the first while, but maybe one day I'll attempt it.

As for the stalling, it is while the bike is hot with no choke. I have to hold the throttle a tiny bit open so the revs stay up. What should be done to correct this?

And i'll be totally honest, the angle that it leans over still scares me. Do other dukes have a slight bend halfway down? I would hate for its first drop to be becuase of something so mundane. Thanks, Matt
Old 04-15-2006, 06:36 AM   #13
mb182
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
your kick stand is fine. it is suppossed to have that bend.

i would take it to a dealer and have him check/adjust the valves. Have him check the plug to see if it is lean/rich and swap jets as needed. from the photo, you pipes look to have had the guts modifed.

Oil changes are not hard - manual explains it well. make sure you take out the correct drain plug from the bottom - two down there and one should never be taken out. Oils change is a PITA!!! 3 drain plugs, two filters, oil in steering head and crank case. Make sure you get the gasket for the internal oil filter.. 02 doesn't use the o-ring (guess how i found that out)

WWW.KTMtalk.com is a great resource - they have parts manuals on line altho you may have to use another years for the duke - not every year is there.
Yahoo Groups- http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KTMDuke/

this is another good site - EU crazies - http://www.monomaniacs.nl/smf.htm

This guy has done a lot to Dukes: http://www.teamincomplete.com/Projec...keiiintro.html

Get a spare clutch cable - Dukes eat them on a regular basis.

The Dukes are a Blast i love mine

MB
Attached Images

mb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #14
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Sure thats not the SWMotech sidestand?
I'll go and look at mine but I think it might be bent too

Congrats. Watch the cast wheels I hear they are soft. Might be urban myth tho.
Those are really really fun bikes!!!!

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #15
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,162
Your rear axle looks to be in the wrong position, maybe causing the the kick stand trouble. loosen the pinch bolts and brake carrier bolt and rotate the eccentric so that the axle is in the low position.

If you have it that way on purpose, carry on.