Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2006, 04:58 AM   #16
humdinger
bp

Oddometer: 616
Vibrations

[quote=alexanderf]
Finally, after 5 years, local KTM dealer (Israel) brought the first couple of 640 adv.(2006 model). I was the second one to order and still waiting for custom clearance, but the first guy is completely destroyed of the vibration. He claims 30 minutes of road riding and his tooth fillings are flying all over the place, he sees double feature and fears early Parkinson disease. is it that bad? or is it something we will get used to. was it less vibrating in early models? it seems the 2001 model we had here in holy land was easy rider comparing to the new one. is it so? anything to do?

seeking all of your good advise.

Yep, they vibrate. I hear they get better with mileage and tuning refinements but if you wanna ride mainly on the road, buy a more road orientated bike. I'm very happy with mine. For me, I don't think there is a better dual purpose bike on the market that satisfies what I was looking for. After only a few long rides both on and off-road, I found the 640 Adventure to be a very capable machine in all disciplines. It's all about compromise.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:38 AM   #17
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Merge

Click HERE

Read it.

Any questions?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:15 AM   #18
Roarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I must admit I am mystified about all this reported vibration. I reckon you are just not riding the bike fast enough
My '05 625SXC is magic to ride on the road. The knobby tyres vibrate more than the engine. If you try and lug the engine along at low revs it may shudder a bit but these engines love a few revs. Mine is smooth as at about 120km/hr on the road. I find my V4 Hondas put my hands to sleep way more than the Katoom.
Roarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:24 AM   #19
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Can I jump in on this thread as well? I just purchased a TE-610 and it vibrates more than I would have thought. Do the jetting and restricted(read in-line cat) exaust also have an effect on the vibes to some degree, and will opening up the pipe and rejetting also aid in smooting out a thumper? TIA Dan
Is that a new 610e or the old kick start style bike?
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #20
hawkster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Well, I'm waiting for my 01 LC4 to vibrate less. I bought it used with low mileage and it still has low mileage with 3k. I looked in my mirror the other day and saw four bikes following me but it was my wife on her bike and my buddy on his. The same day the bike railed on the back roads as long as there weren't any straight stretches it was fine. It also refused to idle near the end of the ride forcing me to get it to the garage fast and replace with another bike. The idle mixture screw I bought from Loaded vibrated out!!

So maybe at lower speeds as a commuter bike it's fine, but I believe multi cylinder bikes are more suited for street riding. I already re-jetted and am going to adjust the valves so that may help.
hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #21
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by WR_guy
Is that a new 610e or the old kick start style bike?
New TE-610. I am getting the stutter others have mentioned around 4500rpm and ordered the CR8 plug, but wonder if the cats are causing any issues. I am a complete noob but I did do a search to no avail regarding Catalyst and how they might affect the performance...
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #22
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderf
Finally, after 5 years, local KTM dealer (Israel) brought the first couple of 640 adv.(2006 model). I was the second one to order and still waiting for custom clearance, but the first guy is completely destroyed of the vibration. He claims 30 minutes of road riding and his tooth fillings are flying all over the place, he sees double feature and fears early Parkinson disease. is it that bad? or is it something we will get used to. was it less vibrating in early models? it seems the 2001 model we had here in holy land was easy rider comparing to the new one. is it so? anything to do?

seeking all of your good advise.

I heard the following rumours

Your choices are, get used to it, or get rid of it. I’m sure there are plenty of people out there that would be happy to allow you to take the first financial hit and score a sweet modern single… for well below retail.

You’ve been told, ad nauseam, that the big singles get smoother as they break in. This is the truth and not something we make up to torture n00bs.
You’ve been told that big singles never are jetted correctly from the factory and that proper jetting will make the bike run smoother. This is also mostly the truth… but depending on who you choose to believe, you may never find this out.

But what you really need to do is:

*“Put a 168 main jet in it… it’ll be fine, ‘cause that’s what my buddy put in his Duke II”
*“That spring on top the slidy thing? Clip a few coils of that, ‘cause that’s what my buddy did to his Duke II”
*“Shitcan that POS Mykunee carb you got and get an FCR right away… before your dick gets any smaller. Much like my buddies did… you know, the one with the Duke II”
*“Just remember… bigger jets equal more horsepower, just like a louder exhaust. And while your at it, get one of them “spark amplifier” thingies… there’s another 5 horsepower right there boy howdy!” “Excuse me… I have to go visit my buddy, the one with the Duke II, in the hospital. He was racing a guy on a Ducati... cleaning his clock big time! And then he crashed”

But don't thank me- thank Master Creeper
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #23
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
I have 2 LC4's. One I have ridden for 32,000 miles. I vibrates very little in my opinion. Of course, coming off a Maico 490, where the only bolts that stayed on were safety wired. Open class 2 stoke bikes, make the LC4 seem as smooth as butter.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:14 AM   #24
humdinger
bp

Oddometer: 616
No holds bared

For fucks sake.............read the heading again, that these threads are under.............
"THUMPERS"
Old 04-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #25
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
I thought it was killing my girlfriend, with all the screams and thrashing around? I had never seen her exhibit that kind of behavior before? But she said she didn't mind?
I wonder if Bojangles offers the Viberider as an accessory in his seats?

www.viberider.com
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #26
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
I wonder if Bojangles offers the Viberider as an accessory in his seats?

www.viberider.com

Safe for work?

Old 04-18-2006, 10:14 AM   #27
Texmoto1
Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer: 274
Just wait for it to break in. My Duke II vibrated so badly when I first got it, my legs would go numb below the knees! After about 700 miles I noticed that my legs stopped going to sleep and after 2000 miles I really didnt notice the vibes that much. The only down side was that my face did hurt the whole time, reguardless of miles, from all the smilling I was doing.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #28
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmoto1
I rode my Duke II so slowly when I first got it, my legs would go numb below the knees! After it was finally broken in at 700 miles I noticed that my legs stopped going to sleep because I was doing exit wheelies from every corner and after 2000 miles I really didnt notice the vibes that much because I finally learned how to carry a wheelie.
fickst
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #29
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,373
repeat after me !

That which does not kill me, only makes me stronger !

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:22 PM   #30
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf

That which does not kill us only makes us stranger.

Quote from... ?