User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
ride no evo OP
Suck it Trebek

Oddometer: 567
Buell headlight opinions

Ok so my XRL is going through a rat bike enduro-tard conversion and I am thinking of doing the buell headlight mod. For those of you that have it do you have any pros or cons...any long term issues that arose???

Also if you have any pics of the light on a bike or the fabbed mounting system please post them.

-Evo

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

You can save $5 on a smugmug subscription use coupon KyCiOLxqIwDIk
ride no evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus

Oddometer: 6,346
You and I are in the same boat as far as the headlight thing goes. I can't decide what to do with mine. I bought a dual headlight bucket off ebay for an FZR600 after seeing this.

I still need to fabricate a bracket. I need to get the bike tagged before I can get it up here to the shop.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
ride no evo OP
Suck it Trebek

Oddometer: 567
I am still trying to figure out the mounting bracket idea, think I am going to order the light this week and get on old XR head light from the bone yard for the wiring harness so I can keep my stock one "in case."

My old man works at a high school so I was going to see if I can get the machine shop students to fab me a billet mount for a project.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

You can save $5 on a smugmug subscription use coupon KyCiOLxqIwDIk
ride no evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
snaggleXR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
http://members.cox.net/snaggletto/XR650R-SM%20lights

http://members.cox.net/snaggletto/headlight-closeup

I'm really liking my Buell setup. I'm running both lights on at all times, 110W of sunshine. The optics (spread of light) seems pretty good also. The dually headlights are just sweet looking in my opinion.

I'm using the Buell Lightning windscreen and mount. However, the Buell Ulysess uses the same headlight, but it has a bigger, symmetrical windscreen, with an extra clear screen that mounts on top. I'm pretty sure the mounting bracket is different also.

As for the mounting setup, no big deal. I cut, bent and drilled some thin aluminum strips (~.093") (scoll saw, bench vise, hammer and hand drill). They mount to my upper fork clamps (pinch bolts) and to a single bolt in each side of the upper headlight body. A third bracket mounts under my speedo mount on my upper fork clamp, and goes down below the headlight body following the steering head. I slotted this area out and a single bolt mounts into the bottom of the headlight body. This allows me to adjust the headlight aim up and down and just gives a bit of support.

The downside to the Buell headlight is that they are H7 bulbs and sockets. These H7's are single filament, IE no HI/LO beam. *I think* the stock Buell's run one light for LO beam and 2 lights for HI beam. Or one or the other for HI/LO, but I can't tell a difference in the lenses that would indicate that one lense is for HI and the other for LO. Whatever, it works, and nobody flashes me at night with both of them blaring.

It cost me right at $200 for the headlight, bracket, windscreen and rock guard at my local Harley dealer. I threw in some Sylvania Silverstars also, but the stockers worked pretty good.

I get LOTS of comments from riding buddies; "DAMN, them are some bright lights!"
snaggleXR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
Phil.Ottawa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Anyone tried the Ulysess headlights and shroud yet?

Anyone have part numbers?

I am thinking of putting the ulysess light on mine.

Does anyone know an online buell dealer that can ship to Canada? The buell parts here are almost twice as much as down there.

Thanks,
Phil
Phil.Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #6
RockyMountainHigh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I would like to know the same thing, if anyone has tried mounting the Ulysess setup on a DR. I like that setup better than the Lightning.
RockyMountainHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Oddometer: 3,351
I'm thinking the Ulysses headlights, fairing, and windshield would be a sweet setup for my KLR. I saw the Laminar Lip for the Uly. It looks pretty great!

Question: Does anyone have a link to an online microfische for Buell parts? I'm like to have all my part numbers researched before I go to the Buell dealership if possible.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,013
like this?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124544
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote