ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Duneflyer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
990 Akropovics - Whats wrong?

Just had the bike mapped for Akropovics and big disappointment. The bike is now far harder to ride off road due to very very glitchy throttle and has developed vibration above 4000rpm! With the baffles out the engine runs slightly smoother but way to loud. My dealer reckons we could remap back to the original and then try the cans ? In hindsight the bike was near perfect before both on and off road. Anyone got any ideas apart from trying to sell the cans?
Duneflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
ephemeris
UYPL

Oddometer: 663
First year EFI blues.

I will say that remapping the ECU has to be easier than accessing the carbs and float bowls on the 950.

Be patient the map's will come.

Before too many years we'll probably have variable map options on a handlebar switch

Hopefully sooner than later for all the 990 owners.
ephemeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Duneflyer OP
Adventurer

So the advice would be to remap back to the original with standard cans then wait patiently? Anyone else running a 990 with Akros and NOT having problems? Still love the bike tho
Old 04-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
willsuds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I have the 990 and Akro's but I am going to fit them @1000km interval. Dealer told me the Akro mapping sorted out the fuel glitch but I wait with baited breath...
willsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
ephemeris
UYPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneflyer
So the advice would be to remap back to the original with standard cans then wait patiently? Anyone else running a 990 with Akros and NOT having problems? Still love the bike tho
Questions I would have are:
How knowledgable/experienced was the person that re-mapped your bike?

How many variables can/cannot be "edited"?

I would imagine there is a trial and error process with re-mapping similar to jetting carbs.

Keep the Akra's, talk to the programmer and let him know the symtoms - hopfully he has a cure.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I'd be 95% certain that either the re-mapping was done very poorly or the TB's are out of sync.

If you haven't already, try to find a shop familer with fiddling with the fuel injection on high performance V-twins (i.e. Duc's, RC51's, TL's, RSV's) - fueling makes all the difference in the world. Stock my TL1000 was very glitchy and jerky off idle and stumbled below 5k rpm. Now that the fueling is sorted it will literally pull cleanly from idle to red-line - I can plunk along in traffic at 1k rpm in first gear and smoothly pull away now. Oh, and I have akro exhaust too
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
Duneflyer OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the input. I have no idea how experienced the dealer is at mapping. he just plugged in the bike to a laptop and 'voila'. No variables apparently just straightforward plug and play.

The bike has done 1500 miles and I can asure willsuds the 'Glitch' (which I found tolerable off road and ok on it) gets worse. Hopefully your dealer knows something mine doesn't ? I'ts not just that the throttle response gets worse the whole bike runs loads rougher over 4000rpm

What are TB's ? Sorry to be so Duhhhhhh.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
ephemeris
UYPL

TB's = Throttle Bodies

Rough over 4K rpm - indicates probable sync issue.

"voila" = now instead of dealing with mechanics with attitude you get to deal with geeks high on Red Bull that speak in code and have no social skills
Old 04-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
willsuds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
How much rougher?? Is this just sympthomatic of the 990? I was told the latest KTM mapping sorted out the fueling 'glitch'.. although, it remains to be seen.

Perhaps re-map the FI to see if, by chance, there was a problem with the download.

Rgds
willsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #11
Duneflyer OP
Adventurer

The next move is to remap again on Friday. The engine runs loads rougher than before. I could cruise all day way above legal speeds, now i'm restricted to about 60mph due to severe teeth chatter/ eye vibe!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

If he just pluged it into a laptop without any dyno time its not mapped right. Someone with a lot of experence who really knows their stuff might be able to get it kind of close without doing a real dyno tune, but chances are its way off.

Also, as the others said it really sounds like the TB's are out of sync - which would explain the vibration as well. The TB's need to be sync'd before the map is built otherwise you'll have a custom map for an out-of-sync bike which will not be quite right once you get the bike sync'd.

So if it were me I'd procede as follows:
1. Sync TB's, check over vacume lines, TPS adjustment (if applicable) and that sort of thing.
2. once everthing is sorted have the bike custom maped via a dyno tune by a reputable shop with lots of dynotuning experence.
3. Go ride a bike that runs fantastic, make small adjustments to the custom map myself to acheive ideal low rpm/low throttle opening response (Even a good dyno tune may not address this exactly how you'd like, but it will be very close - everyone has their own personal prefferce how snappy a bike should be off ilde)
Old 04-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
Duneflyer OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the info once again. I will show my dealer your thoughts and see what colour he turns . We have a dearth of KTM dealers here in Scotland. Would love to post some pics of the problem child but haven't a clue. Will say tho this bike still makes me feel like i did when I picked up a new R1 in '98!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
We have a dearth of KTM dealers here in Scotland.
Which dealer are you using?
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #15
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the info once again. I will show my dealer your thoughts and see what colour he turns . We have a dearth of KTM dealers here in Scotland. Would love to post some pics of the problem child but haven't a clue. Will say tho this bike still makes me feel like i did when I picked up a new R1 in '98!
hehe, good luck with that. I honestly doubt that you'll find a KTM dealer with experence doing fuel injection dyno tuning unless they also happen to be a ducati, honda or suzuki dealer. My advice comes from experence fiddling with TL1000's (V-twin suzuki sport bikes). While the particulars of the TL and KTM engine and management systems are different, the basic process for getting it mapped out correctly (and the symptoms of a poor map) will be the same for virtually any performance oriented fuel injected twin.

Dynojet recomends a custom map, but also offers generic maps for various engine configurations. I find these pretty good, probably a 90% solution in most cases. Still, that elusive 10% can be the difference between a perfect running bike and one that is tollerable, but not great.