User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Big singles, vibration, a Duke II, objectivity and choices

Let me preface this by stating I've not had it with n00bs and n00b questions. But I have pretty much had it with supposed adults who don't do their homework and then whine about their bikes shortcomings, as though I should take pity on them because they are too stupid to do their due diligence.

The regular n00bs, the ones that just want to know how to do this or where to get that... by all means keep asking your questions, because we were all n00bs once, and we know that all you really need is to get your feet wet and find your niche in life. A little confidence goes a long way.

Issues with the KTM 640 Adventure… or “Is this thing a piece of shit, and all those guys on all them forums are lying to me?”

The “vibration issue” As has been said so many times before, vibration is subjective. You may be from a riding background in which you’ve never ridden a bike from the 60s, or any big single prior to the water cooled and counterbalanced jewels we have today.
Consequently… you really don’t know what vibration is.

Your past riding experience may be based on multi-cylinder, smooth-as-glass Japanese sport bikes and tourers… and you’ve never owned anything that had true character until now. Comparatively, even a BMW boxer feels a bit “rough” to your sensitive little butt, hands and feet.
Huskys, Vertamatis, KTMs, Husabergs, XR650Rs… you name it, if it’s a big 4-stroke single, they all have more vibration than you might be used to.

Your choices are, get used to it, or get rid of it. I’m sure there are plenty of people out there that would be happy to allow you to take the first financial hit and score a sweet modern single… for well below retail.

The less likely alternative is that there is something genuinely wrong with your shiny new bike… the one complete with an extra grand worth of farkles you had the dealer install before you ever even road the damn thing.
If that’s the case, take it back to the dealer and quit whining here.

You’ve been told, ad nauseam, that the big singles get smoother as they break in. This is the truth and not something we make up to torture n00bs.
You’ve been told that big singles never are jetted correctly from the factory and that proper jetting will make the bike run smoother. This is also mostly the truth… but depending on who you choose to believe, you may never find this out.

You’ve been told that not all KTMs, or any motorcycle for that matter, are the same. This is true to a point.
Manufacturer’s are, as a whole, a pretty sharp group… especially the designers and engineers. It’s the people that the motorcycle comes in contact with as it is being built, and later on being set up, and even later on being maintained, who can be having a bad day and pass that bad day along to your precious middle-age redemption device.

Before you complain about this, that or the other thing that you had no control over… take a moment to learn about your motorcycle. Read everything that you can find and utilize what you’ve learned to make informed, objective decisions.

Moving on to the “tuning" stage of life.

You’ve got your shiny new, big honkin’ single, super deluxe, adventure slash world dominator, vibra-massage motor-sled… complete with extra farkles that you haven’t quite figured out how to work yet, and didn't know you needed until your read it here.
But that is of no consequence, because you’ve decided that you will not succumb to the new bike vibration blues or farkles of dubious value... but instead overcome it and be master of your domain. A confident leader amongst the great “ain’t life one big fuckin mystery” types. An adventure single God… if you will.

On you’re route to becoming a maximum overthruster of the fraternity; you’ve discovered that your bike could in fact run better than it currently does.
So… you go where all BHSSDASWDVMMS owners eventually go… the bastions of unbiased truth and light… the interwebnet forums!!!

*“Put a 168 main jet in it… it’ll be fine, ‘cause that’s what my buddy put in his Duke II”
*“That spring on top the slidy thing? Clip a few coils of that, ‘cause that’s what my buddy did to his Duke II”
*“Shitcan that POS Mykunee carb you got and get an FCR right away… before your dick gets any smaller. Much like my buddies did… you know, the one with the Duke II”
*“Just remember… bigger jets equal more horsepower, just like a louder exhaust. And while your at it, get one of them “spark amplifier” thingies… there’s another 5 horsepower right there boy howdy!” “Excuse me… I have to go visit my buddy, the one with the Duke II, in the hospital. He was racing a guy on a Ducati... cleaning his clock big time! And then he crashed”

*"You must use these grips, air filter, oil, oil filters, gas, fork oil, tires, chain, sprockets, tank bag, seat, bars, muffler and carb (See buddy of Duke II owner for recommendations), GPS, GPS mount, HID lights, wheels laced by so and so, inner tubes, brake fluid, steering head bearing grease, spark plug, heated clothing, boots, gloves, helmet, goggles, under-fucking-wear, engine guard, engine guard that carries shit in it and them special green valve stem caps, ‘cause your buddy with the Duke II suggested you run nitrogen instead of regular old crappy air. (His accident would have been a good deal worse had he not been running nitrogen)
... or you don’t have a hair on your ass… and you certainly aren’t as kool as me and the other guys in the kool klub"

"Oh woe is me, my bike is too tall!"

This can go a couple of ways… first, being shorter than average is not the same as being stupid. If you bought the bike knowing full well that you were going to have “inseam issues” that you would have to overcome… I applaud your tenacity and would be willing to offer any and all assistance in making your life a little easier.

If on the other hand you bought your moto-giraffe sight unseen, thinking that the maker really didn’t mean 37 inches in the specifications, or that somehow the bike would shrink down to 32 inches because it was, after all YOU, and you are smarter that any old bike… then you are both height challenged and STUPID.
If you complain about the seat height issue after the fact, as though this revelation was suddenly sprung upon you… then you are one of those people that fit into the category described in the first paragraph, second sentence.

Now for those of you who might think that I’m 6 foot 4 inches and have no seat height issues… you’d be wrong. I’m 5’11” with a 31 inch inseam on a good day, and am shrinking at an alarming rate as I get older. So, I am only, at best, “of average height”

In closing...

Let me say that I’ve enjoyed my KTM 640 Adventure greatly. It’s not a street bike, but I make due. It’s not a dirt bike in the strictest sense, but I make do. It's a little tall for complete control in tight, nasty off-camber situations, but I make do.
It’s not the easiest thing to maintain, but I enjoy working on it almost as much as I enjoy riding it. If I were to sell it, I’d just have to replace it with another one like it, because there is nothing else like it at the present time that suits my needs. (See Husqvarna below)

When I bought my KTM, I had done quite a bit of research on “a long distance dirt bike that I could go just about anywhere on”.
I looked at Kawasaki and Suzuki and decided that they didn’t have the dirt legs of the KTM. Great, realiable pack mules they are. High speed dirt yachts... not so much.
I looked at the XR650R and decided I’m too old and too fucked up in the body to have a kick-only bike.
I looked at Husky, Husaberg, Vertemati, MZ and even CCM, and decided that at the time, they weren’t as reliable or had the long-range capacity of the KTM. This opinion is starting to change, but based on observation, the former is still esentialy the truth. Husqvarna is at present filling a large void with some very nice bikes, that will probably only get better.
I looked at the KTM RFS bikes and decided that for the riding I do, they were too maintenance intensive… especially for an anal retentive maintenance freak like me.

When I was a teenager, I had an OSSA Pioneer 250 Enduro. I went everywhere on it. When I was a little older, I had a Husqvarna 360 Enduro. I raced it and… went everywhere on it.
These bikes were vastly inferior to every bike listed in the above diatribe… but I made due.

There is no perfect bike. Besides, it’s the rider, not the bike… stupid.

C

creeper screwed with this post 04-16-2006 at 02:55 PM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
OcotilloWells
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
My wife used to complain about the vibration when riding our XR680R's; haven't heard anything lately, so I think she's beginning to like it.
OcotilloWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
OZWAZ
In The Dust

Oddometer: 38
Soft slugs

Good on ya Creeper, get up `em mate.Bout time someone said that.
OZWAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
I, for one, support the noob's (or old's for that matter) right to ask/tell any and all dumb, redundant or otherwise irritating questions, stories, anecdotes and/or gripes. I also support my right as a crusty assed geezer to read, roll my eyes and comment or completely ignore any or all of these posts to my little hearts content.

Of course my general policy of acceptance is colored by the fact that my own posts tend to be of equal parts redundance and ignorance...

Dean
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,175
Way to go, Creep.
Makes it easy when somebody else speaks my mind for me.

Wait, does this mean it's over between you and Loaded?
Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
Amen. A history of "run what you brung" will definitely give a true perspective on the supposed shortcomings of today's motorcycles.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #7
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Way to go, Creep.
Makes it easy when somebody else speaks my mind for me.
My pleasure. You get the next one, OK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Wait, does this mean it's over between you and Loaded?
Never.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
that fookin creeper

This is classic. I am keeping this quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
...being shorter than average is not the same as being stupid.
I cant stop laughing

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427

:
cREEPERS BaCk...
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #10
creeper OP
Still alive...

You guys are so easily amused.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #11
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
You guys are so easily amused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepah
... your precious middle-age redemption device. ...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736

Old 04-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #13
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles

The brothas look a little shocked G. That when they seen you eatin' at the local chowda' hall?

(I know, I know... it's an oldy, but damn!!! it's a goodie! )
Old 04-16-2006, 09:30 PM   #14
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:

*“Put a 168 main jet in it… it’ll be fine, ‘cause that’s what my buddy put in his Duke II”
*“That spring on top the slidy thing? Clip a few coils of that, ‘cause that’s what my buddy did to his Duke II”
*“Shitcan that POS Mykunee carb you got and get an FCR right away… before your dick gets any smaller. Much like my buddies did… you know, the one with the Duke II”
*“Just remember… bigger jets equal more horsepower, just like a louder exhaust. And while your at it, get one of them “spark amplifier” thingies… there’s another 5 horsepower right there boy howdy!” “Excuse me… I have to go visit my buddy, the one with the Duke II, in the hospital. He was racing a guy on a Ducati... cleaning his clock big time! And then he crashed”

*"You must use these grips, air filter, oil, oil filters, gas, fork oil, tires, chain, sprockets, tank bag, seat, bars, muffler and carb (See buddy of Duke II owner for recommendations), GPS, GPS mount, HID lights, wheels laced by so and so, inner tubes, brake fluid, steering head bearing grease, spark plug, heated clothing, boots, gloves, helmet, goggles, under-fucking-wear, engine guard, engine guard that carries shit in it and them special green valve stem caps, ‘cause your buddy with the Duke II suggested you run nitrogen instead of regular old crappy air. (His accident would have been a good deal worse had he not been running nitrogen)
... or you don’t have a hair on your ass… and you certainly aren’t as kool as me and the other guys in the kool klub"

How did you know about my friend with the Duke?

It just makes me laugh. A friend of mine that has never riden a single, rode my 640 and came back saying "somthing is wrong". I gave it a quick ride and it was normal. He has never been on it again. 28k miles and counting.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #15
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate

How did you know about my friend with the Duke?

It just makes me laugh. A friend of mine that has never riden a single, rode my 640 and came back saying "somthing is wrong". I gave it a quick ride and it was normal. He has never been on it again. 28k miles and counting.

Nate
I think everybody knows somebody with a Duke... but not everybody knows they have a different airbox, exhaust system and original gearing.
Or for that matter that most people (at least the ones that I know) who own Dukes seem to spin them tighter than folks with 640Es and Adventures.

C