Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
2aufweltreise OP
Weltreisende

Oddometer: 14
Shipping from Panama to Ecuador

Hey folks,

we plan to go with two F 650 GS from Cantral America to South America, but want to take a ship or plane from Panama to Ecuador.
We would be glad about any information on shipping: Prices, addresses, experiences...

Thanks
Tommy
Old 04-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aufweltreise
we plan to go with two F 650 GS from Cantral America to South America, but want to take a ship or plane from Panama to Ecuador.
We would be glad about any information on shipping: Prices, addresses, experiences...
You need to go to Horizons Unlimited and follow the links on Shipping your bike. There is plenty of information there from people who have done exactly what you want to do.

Gute Fahrt.
jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
From what I understand, it's been cheaper and less hassle air freighting to Bogota using Garig.

Go where Jeff pointed...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
2aufweltreise OP
Weltreisende

Oddometer: 14
Traveling Columbia?

Thank you very much, folks for that information! We already know horizons unlimited, but thought, we could get further information... WeŽll figure it out, when weŽll be there.

What do you think about traveling through Columbia? IS it still dangerous? Some people, we talk to, say we would be alright, others say no...

Thanks for your advise....
Old 04-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
What do you think about traveling through Columbia? IS it still dangerous? Some people, we talk to, say we would be alright, others say no...

I wouldn't hesitate, but that's just me.

Use your own judgement and be comfortable with that.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
[What do you think about traveling through Columbia? IS it still dangerous? Some people, we talk to, say we would be alright, others say no...

Thanks for your advise....[/quote]

they are absolutely right!
Old 04-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Everyone I've ever spoken with, who has actually been to Colombia, has said it is an unbelievably beautiful country, full of wonderful people. When I do get to South America, I will not miss the opportunity to see it myself.

When someone warns you about any place, ask them if they have actually been there. If not, then take their advice for what it is worth.....

Only you can decide if it is worth the risk for you. But then again, if you hated risk, you'd be home sitting in front of the TV, right?

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #8
Farioli
"just do it"

Oddometer: 503
I went on December 05

I took my family there last December. I did Bogota - Armenia-Bogota ( ~500m) with my family and was fun. No problems at all. After that, I flew to Cartagena and we had a good time in this beatutiful city. It is impresive how things have changed!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #9
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,244
And there are some real babes in Colombia as well!!
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #10
GAC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Come to Colombia, you won't regret it

Quote:
Thank you very much, folks for that information! We already know horizons unlimited, but thought, we could get further information... WeŽll figure it out, when weŽll be there.

I live in Colombia, and as I have said before you should not fear comming here. If all you rely on is news then nobody would travel anywhere. I have travelled all over the country on my motorcycle and have not had any trouble. I would not recommend travelling at night, but thats about it. I also have some Garmin GPS maps of Colombia which are more detailed than the original mapsource maps. I you need any additional info email me gcalder1@hotmail.com.

Have a safe trip.
GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
hook
On a ride...

Oddometer: 77
shipping...

Just so you know... I shipped my F650 with loaded Jesse luggage from Panama City to Bogota using Girag. It cost $450usd. Panama City to Quito, Ecuador would have cost $600. I shipped my bike in January, 2006. If you want more details, feel free to message me. I landed in Bogota planning to spend only a couple days there- I wound up spending over 2 weeks! Loved the city- I stayed in La Candelaria area. The food, coffee, people, music...wow! Do as the locals do, enjoy the "almuerzo," the set daily lunch, usually served in 3 courses. The soup, called ajiaco is delicious, thick, creamy, with 3 different kinds of taters...yummm! As usual, don't travel at night. While riding in Colombia, I started early (not easy for me!) and made sure I was checked in to a hotel by 3pm, giving myself a little more daylight in case I had a flat/problems in the afternoon. In some of the mountainous areas I saw hundreds of heavily armed soldiers searching for, or acting as a deterrent to FARC. Some bridges in the south were swarming with soldiers and defended with heavy pill-boxes and machine guns. President Uribe is working hard to secure the country, from what I could tell, "Plan Colombia" seems to be having a positive impact. Good luck on your trip! D.

hook screwed with this post 06-26-2006 at 01:26 PM
hook is offline   Reply With Quote