Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #16
RedDread
What I can While I can.

Oddometer: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
I am travelling at highway speed (65+ mph) and I lose my clutch. The lever goes to the bar with no effect. I am going to my dealer for warranty work and would like to informed on how the clutch works before I go in. It had been low on hydraulic fluid, but when topped off it seemed OK. I may have a leak. Has anybody else experienced this? I have a month of warranty remaining and would like to get this addressed. As an aside, I also have a torn carb/airbox boot and I may have a cooling fan problem.

repaired (the caps key thing made my brain hurt )
I hope you clutch kings sleuthed this out and have some advice. I am having a remarkably similar problem with my 03 adventure. The issue manifested as what I would think is a slow leak that I could not pin point. As a result I have replaced the the clutch master cylinder, pipe, release gasket, clutch piston and o-ring. The only thing not replaced is the cylinder itself. Yet it still loses pressure to the point that the lever is dead inside 30 miles. Am I missing something or do I need to keep chasing the problem and replace the cylinder?
RedDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #17
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,138
RedDread,

Sorry but I am not a hydraulic clutch troubleshooter. I can try and help guide you through some of the info and ask some stoopid questions

Did you go through cevquit's advice on the previous page?

When you do your setup there is quite a bit of info from Creeper here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233283

If you have done everything else correctly then that last piece of the puzzle is a likely candidate.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Does it only happen at higher highway speeds? does it come back right after you shut it off?

I had a similar issue on my Husky (Similar style hydro clutch), but only had a couple hundred miles on it, I tried all the regular checks, bled it 3 times, not loosing fluid at all. Someone mentioned to check the crank case evac hose, sure enough, mine was pinched. I rerouted it & problem solved. His reasoning was that pressure built up in the crank case pushing the slave out, or somehting like that, my memory fails me. Might sound like a long shot, but its a free check

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:38 PM   #19
jstuma
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Related clutch slave question

Hi, new to the forum... are there differences in the clutch slaves? Do some not have a "throw out" bearing. What I mean is, do some just have a piston that pushes the rod, the rod rides in a hole on the piston or should all have a bearing. I am trying to hunt down a clutch noise and it is very much like a throwout bearing but my dealer says a 2002 R1150R does not have a bearing...? appreciate any help
jstuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstuma
Hi, new to the forum... are there differences in the clutch slaves? Do some not have a "throw out" bearing. What I mean is, do some just have a piston that pushes the rod, the rod rides in a hole on the piston or should all have a bearing. I am trying to hunt down a clutch noise and it is very much like a throwout bearing but my dealer says a 2002 R1150R does not have a bearing...? appreciate any help
Hi jstuma,

so you have a BMW R1150R eh? You might find someone in Thumpers (single cylinder bikes) that has or knows that bike (or is a clutch slave wiz) but you might have better luck in the Beasts or GSpot forums. Good luck

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #21
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstuma
Hope I can help you here I had a BMW R1100R with a manual clutch not hydraulic.What i would like to tell you is that there is a bearing and it is very small on a non-hydraulic unit and I am sure it is simular on the hydraulic unit! On the end of the tranny near the rear tire you have a clutch slave cylinder that pushes on a clutch rod that goes all the way through the center of the transmission mainshaft and eventually reaches the pressure plate.the small thrust release bearing is located between the slave cylinder and the push rod.On the hydraulic unit it may be inside the clutch slave piston. I had one fail on my manual cluched bike and the pushrod mushroomed near the pressure plate which meant I had to dissasemble almost the entire bike to repair it! If it making noise fix it ASAP!

And to the riders loosing your Hydraulic clutch I have also seen the crankcase breather issue on a local riders KTM.Its the same issue as if you were to collapse your brake caliper to replace brake pads and then you have to pump the lever up to get brakes to contact the brake rotor ,crankcase pressure forces your slave piston in and then you must pump the lever to return the clutch slave to its operating range.Now realize that if you are having issues with crankcase pressure pushing your slave in you wont be loosing clutch fluid! If you are loosing clutch fluid then you definatly have a leak and its probably on the slave cylinder
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #22
jstuma
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Clutch slave problem

Thank you Brainless450X, I will check that out!
John
jstuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #23
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Did you guys ever find out what the problem was here? I am having exactly the same issue on my 06 with 30 000klm.
Using the Magura mineral oil. Losing clutch fluid, but cant see any leaks etc.
have bled the system several times and makes no difference.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #24
BOFH
Secret Rider

Oddometer: 45
I had this same issue with my 640 Adventure. Clutch action issues and fluid loss started at about 8K miles. Replacing the slave cylinder and piston at 11K miles fixed the problem on my bike (the whole assembly is avail for purchase as a single part PN 50332061044). If the slave piston O-ring starts leaking every pull of the clutch lever will push a little of the mineral oil into the engine. There will be no visible external evidence for the leak. Refilling the master cylinder with fluid will address the symptoms temporarily but won't solve the problem. Replacing the slave cylinder assy. did work and the bike currently has 17K+ miles on it.

What I'm not sure about is whether this is likely to be a repeating failure on these bikes. The description of the slave cylinder assembly from the microfiche is "
CYLINDER CPL. 125/200'98" i.e. the slave assembly was originally engineered for the 1998 125/200 two stroke race bikes. The slave is also located behind the countershaft sprocket on a fairly hot running engine well out of any possible airflow path. Neither of these factors gives me a huge amount of confidence that the problem isn't a chronic engineering issue.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #25
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,778
BOFH is likely right about a leaky slave but you shouldn't have to replace the whole unit... Likely an o-ring refresh will get it working again....

Here's a thread I started a while back pertaining to clutch o-rings:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464845
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:17 AM   #26
joekanter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Hydro clutch blues-

--Hey folks. Haven't been riding or even lurking. After letting my 07 640 A have a two week rest, I took it for a simple spin and lost my clutch just like the OP had described. The bike has been flawless in the 5K miles I have put on it in the last year and a half. The beat clutch is my first mechanical problem. I had planned on taking the bike to the dealer to have it rejeted and figured that they might as well fix the clutch. I'm picking the bike up later today and I was not told what the origional problem was with the clutch. I was told that the system was bled and recharged: "if the problem comes back, a master cylinder (or slave) will need to be rebuilt." I'm tempted to just have them do a rebuild to save me a head ache. Any suggestions of what to look for if I decide to tackle this on my own?

Thanks in advance.
joekanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #27
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,195
just get some orings... they seep the fluid into the oil...mine is now seeping and drains in a 5 hr ride..

what will finally happen is the coating on the inside of the slave wears out ..been there done that..

A 50 cent o ring sure beats the 90.00 alternative
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #28
joekanter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
wrk2surf-thanks. There is another post floating around today with similar problems and your suggested fix. One update-I already posted this in the other thread. Their mechanic suggests that the oil mineral oil was shot and that it needs to be changed 2 x a year. He went on to say that if the o ring was beat, then there would be a immediate failure after the system was recharged and bled. So, I'll give it a try. Thanks for your input.
joekanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #29
rugger
1 day at a time!!!

Oddometer: 78
03 KTM 640 Clutch Help Please

I'm having same clutch problems on my 03 640. Does anyone know of a thead that shows or describes someone fixing this problem. I'm ready to have a go at it myself but Pictures always help.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #30
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger
I'm having same clutch problems on my 03 640. Does anyone know of a thead that shows or describes someone fixing this problem. I'm ready to have a go at it myself but Pictures always help.

Thanks
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564620

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464845
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote