User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
furndog OP
at least it's orange

Oddometer: 204
Canisterectomy Lite

Canister-ectomy lite or how to make a short story long. After a near fatal bout of canisteritis I successfully preformed the operation on Willie. Sambo, my riding buddy came over to admire the entrails and came up with an amazing theory.

I had a mess of hoses, valves, fittings and cans laying in a pile on the shop floor. Sam walked around this jumbled mess several times, picked up a valve and blew through it then sucked on one of the hoses and then threw everything back down on the floor and exclaimed.
“What the f@#* is this thing?”
“What thing” I asked.
“This plug or whatever it is thing”
That plug is a beautiful piece machined from billet aluminum with a knurled edge, a quality KTM part to be sure.
“I don’t know” was my reply.
“I think it’s a drain, a drain for the canister when it fills up with gasoline.”

It wouldn’t be long before we could test his theory. The next week we were in the Nevada desert and 100 yards into the first trail section Sam’s bike takes a little nap. Ride report here. Long periods of engine cranking, hard starting and belching smoke confirmed he too was suffering from a mild case of cannisteritis. No mas, no mas, Sam has had it. “What side is that plug on?” he asks. Those engineers think of everything, hence the knurled edge, as you need your gloves on to fish out the plug from behind the hot exhaust header, pull the plug off the hose and drain the fuel and you are good to go.

Now this is just Sam’s theory but it worked for him at the time. His bike was extremely hard starting and after draining the fuel from the system his bike would start on half a crank, like nothing was ever wrong.

If you are still running with a canister give this a try if the need arises.

That dark spot on the desert floor is from the gas drained when Sam pulled the plug on the hose.

furndog screwed with this post 05-12-2006 at 07:38 AM
furndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
What year?

What year were your bikes? I don't remember seeing anything like that knob on the cannister of my 2005.5. The drain port on the canister didn't have anything on it at all. It vented directly to the inside of the fairing.

I LOOKED ON THE BIKE & FOUND THE DRAIN HIDDEN ON THE RIGHT SIDE BEHIND THE ELECTRICAL WIRING. NOW I'M GOING TO THE PARTS MANUALS & TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHERE IT COMES FROM. PERHAPS PART OF THE SAS? MY CANISTER IS GONE ALREADY.

TipOver screwed with this post 04-17-2006 at 08:32 PM Reason: FOUND THE DRAIN....
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
furndog OP
at least it's orange

Both our bikes are 2005.5

That is actually a plug. It plugs one of the hoses leading from the valve? diaphram pump? thingy bolted under the air box. It is very hard to find and you wouldn't even know it's there if someone didn't show you the location.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
AhHah!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furndog
That is actually a plug. It plugs one of the hoses leading from the valve? diaphram pump? thingy bolted under the air box. It is very hard to find and you wouldn't even know it's there if someone didn't show you the location.
That's part no. 44 on page 22 of the chassis parts manual. It looks like if you drop the bike or overfill it the evap canister input lines can totally fill. Since the carb float bowls are connected thru the valve on the bottom of the airbox (valve vents to canister when engine stopped, to bottom under the airbox while running) the carbs can't breath til the engine fires and the valve breathes from the bottom between the cylinders. Your release/drainage of the carb vent lines lets the carbs breath properly enough to let the engine fire.

I left that valve in place, tee'd to the tank overflow. That's why the drain pug is still in place on my bike.
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
posole vato
Vato Loco

Oddometer: 639
Thumb It Works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dagnabit!!!!!!! the canistirectomy lite WORKS.... my bike was taking to long to crank over lately...cuz i layed it down last monday up in the hills......however when i found the hose i removed the little thingamajiggy ...... gee willikers.....gas emptied out ....and it fired right up...thanks for putting up this thread furndog!!!!!!!

09 KLR 650
05 Honda CRF 450X
posole vato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas

Oddometer: 973
Thanks for the tip. I've been putting off the canister removal and now may just forget about it. I've laid mine over a couple of times followed by a day of hard starting. After reading your tip I pulled the little plug and drained a good amount of amber colored gas and goo.
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:19 AM   #7
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2lean
I've been putting off the canister removal and now may just forget about it.
As long as you never kink a vent hose while reinstalling the top-front fairing section.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
Goldhelocks
You had me at "2 wheels"

Oddometer: 190
Shazam! What a coincidence!

Just tonight I was "investigating" a future electrical project (addition of a Centech fuse panel) and dropped the bash plate to access and evaluate a possible wire run from the battery. When what did I find? That same little thingy-ma-jig pictured above. I traced the tube up as far as I could and not having read about that on any of the forums I got curious and pulled off the chrome tip.... low and behold, a fair amount of gas drained (yes I too was once a victim of a canisteritis episode). Even after all of this time I guess some fuel still resided there. Funny thing, I started the bike up and it seemed to start a bit easier (although I really haven't had any real problems. I also notice that it reved off of idle a little cleaner).

This is a great tip, and an awesome touch of luck! Thanks for the headsup! Gotta wonder why this hasn't been a BIG TIME thread in Orange Crush???

Rick
Goldhelocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:26 PM   #9
Katoum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldhelocks
Just tonight I was "investigating" a future electrical project (addition of a Centech fuse panel) and dropped the bash plate to access and evaluate a possible wire run from the battery. When what did I find? That same little thingy-ma-jig pictured above. I traced the tube up as far as I could and not having read about that on any of the forums I got curious and pulled off the chrome tip.... low and behold, a fair amount of gas drained (yes I too was once a victim of a canisteritis episode). Even after all of this time I guess some fuel still resided there. Funny thing, I started the bike up and it seemed to start a bit easier (although I really haven't had any real problems. I also notice that it reved off of idle a little cleaner).

This is a great tip, and an awesome touch of luck! Thanks for the headsup! Gotta wonder why this hasn't been a BIG TIME thread in Orange Crush???
Rick
Actually it's been discussed many times dating back to some of the first canister-ectomy's threads. But its good to see it being revived again for all the new owners. The drain bolt is a quick fix, to get you going, but there's nothing a full blown Canister-Ectomy to really clean them pipes.
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:12 AM   #10
Goldhelocks
You had me at "2 wheels"

Oddometer: 190
I think you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoum
Actually it's been discussed many times dating back to some of the first canister-ectomy's threads. But its good to see it being revived again for all the new owners. The drain bolt is a quick fix, to get you going, but there's nothing a full blown Canister-Ectomy to really clean them pipes.
I have no doubt you are right on that front. I plan on doing my wiring project that I talked about in the thread and doing the surgery at the same time. I just wish I knew about it when I got stranded (ran battery down trying to start the bike due to flooded canisters) a few months ago. I wish I would have known about it then. But I plan on definately doing the surgery soon.

Goldhelocks
Goldhelocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
jnberr0
Priller Pilot

Oddometer: 392
Thanks, y'all!!

I've recently had some symptoms of a canister fuel fill-up (hard starting, smell of gas during startup, etc. . .). I was checking out another post on starting problems when i had this thread recommended. So . . .

I got home tonight and checked out this drain plug. Sho' nuff, some gassy goop oozed out, followed by a couple of shot glasses worth of fuel. Within a few cranks, the bike was starting fine again, no problem. Woohoo!! There's nothing like learning something new and useful about your bike.

Thanks for the tip, everyone!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:57 AM   #12
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,601
Question

Just wanted to report on this threads helpful information. 2004 Adventure, all emissions equipment on, just some WINGS exhaust. WOW,,, I always noticed this wigit, but never looked any further. Took it off and the hose "pooped" out a 4" long worm of something that looked like "Light Brown Grease". It had a "GAS/OIL" essence. Interesting stuff. I'm going to check this after each ride to see what accumulates. Does this go to:?? Evap canaster? or somewhere in the carb area? Has anyone else tried this for the first time and found the same stuff??
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:37 AM   #13
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
yup, same-o-same-o - as above. No canisterctomy as yet... but after this thread and having the same starting, crappy response from the throttle did the emptied the drain and the same crap came forth!

Actually, I was surprised not as much drained out as I was expecting maybe an ounce, but still made a difference. Then ended up laying the beast down again a few days ago, and drained it again - more sludge and much more fuel. I think it is worthwhile to repeat the process a couple times just to make sure it all gets out.

Simple trail fix for a stupid problem

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Why can't we just remove the plug and leave it out?
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
furndog OP
at least it's orange

Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000
Why can't we just remove the plug and leave it out?
I think that would create a major vacuum leak.